No announcement yet.

Your Favorite Cocktail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't usually think of oatmeal as having much of a flavor, so I'm really curious. Hopefully I can check it out when I'm there.

Comment

Originally posted by justaguy View Post
      I like gin & tonic, dirty vodka martini and whisky ginger.

BTW, I'm trying to branch out...what else might I like? I actually really like dirty vodka martini...but want something just as good. Suggestions?
      It's kinda the ying to your dirty vodka martini's yang, but what about a Manhattan? They're my most frequent cocktail, when I don't simply drink rye or bourbon neat or on the rocks.

And do you not like gin martinis? That's not really branching out, but something else to add in to the program? I like gin much more than vodka, except in Bloody Marys, although IIRC Shomas, you use gin in your BMs... Errr... in your Bloody Marys. Right?

Otherwise, +1 in Shomas' Negroni rec. Quite possibly my top Summer poolside drink!
      Last edited by yoyorobbo; March 21, 2013, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
        ... you might try a greyhound (vodka and grapefruit juice) or a salty dog (same, but with gin instead of vodka and a salt rimmed glass).
        Hmm, that salty dog sounds interesting. I also second (or third?) the negroni suggestion. Though, if you've never had campari (or fernet, aperol, anything in that family) I'd test the waters first by ordering it somewhere that puts out a decent cocktail. Wouldn't want to end up with a bottle of the herby-bitter stuff and never use it.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
          It's kinda the ying to your dirty vodka martini's yang, but what about a Manhattan? They're my most frequent cocktail, when I don't simply drink rye or bourbon neat or on the rocks.

And do you not like gin martinis? That's not really branching out, but something else to add in to the program? I like gin much more than vodka, except in Bloody Marys, although IIRC Shomas, you use gin in your BMs... Errr... in your Bloody Marys. Right?

Otherwise, +1 in Shomas' Negroni rec. Quite possibly my top Summer poolside drink!
          I do usually get my bloody marys with gin, though sometimes I don't bother asking for the substitution if it's a busy place and it seems best to take the path of least resistance. A gin martini is nice as well. I've recently become aware of how nice they can be with a little more vermouth than I used to use (almost none) when the vermouth is actually high quality and fresh. I always thought I hated dry vermouth. Turns out I just hated vermouth out of the dusty Martini & Rossi bottle everyone seems to have sitting around.

Comment

With all of that said, though, I'm really not that picky. And while I'm on the giving-advice-involving-gin train, I highly recommend swapping out the vodka in a Bloody Mary with gin. It actually adds flavor rather than just alcohol and that flavor tends to be a pretty good complement to Bloody Mary ingredients.
            This just reminded me of an interesting take on a Bloody Mary I had about a year ago. It was a Bloody Jameson... Nothing clever there. Just substituted Jameson Irish Whiskey for the vodka. It was interesting... The idea was off-putting for some reason, but it was more flavorful for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAD91 View Post
              Old Fashioned,
              This right here. A thousand variations but at its simplest whiskey, sugar, bitters, citrus. It's a great bellwhether of bar quality too. If they cant make one, they either don't have bitters or cant rise above the liquor+soda formula.

Chris McMillan explains:
              http://www.youtube.com/#/watch?v=oEr7ym4-r5I

Comment

Originally posted by jeff4 View Post
                This just reminded me of an interesting take on a Bloody Mary I had about a year ago. It was a Bloody Jameson... Nothing clever there. Just substituted Jameson Irish Whiskey for the vodka. It was interesting... The idea was off-putting for some reason, but it was more flavorful for sure.
                Sure. Or, if you like tequila, you can do a Bloody Maria (though starting off the morning with some tequila may be a little over the top for most, myself included). There's a restaurant/bar in my neighborhood that has some absurd number of bourbons available and they do a bourbon chipotle bloody mary that makes me unreasonably happy. I bet various rum versions would be awesome as well, come to think of it...

Comment

"Bourbon chipotle bloody mary"... let my google search skills begin! That sounds fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Schrodingers Iced Tea View Post
                    (re: Old-fashioned) - If they cant make one, they either don't have bitters or cant rise above the liquor+soda formula.
                    So many bars/restaurants seem to *not* have bitters on hand. WTF?!?!? I swear I'm gonna buy a case of it and start handing them out as Christmas gifts, for the love of Mike!

I've even had a few waitresses come back to the table, after the drink order was put in, and ask, "The bartender says he can't *really* make your drink the right way. Do you still want it?" - LOL - "Uhm... no thanks. Whiskey. Rocks. You *do* have ice, right?"

Comment

Originally posted by jeff4 View Post
                      "Bourbon chipotle bloody mary"... let my google search skills begin! That sounds fantastic.
                      Seriously. It's incredible (website here: http://charno4.com/). The place is a little upscale for my usual brunch crew, which includes me, the missus and two toddlers, but we go on rare occasions (three day weekends, when everyone else skips town) and the drink is always a highlight.

Comment

Sure. Or, if you like tequila, you can do a Bloody Maria (though starting off the morning with some tequila may be a little over the top for most, myself included).
                        (channeling my best *Johnny Dangerously* Joe Piscopo) - Fresh out of both vodka and gin, my mother made a Bloody Maria once. *Once*.

The tequila killed it for me. Maybe because it was the cheap, oily, damn-near-WD40 tasting bottle that was left-over from an earlier Summer party. Dunno. Regardless, I had to really choke it down. I may spin some gin in one in the near future, based on your comments here Shomas, but in general I think I'll keep my Bloody Marys of the vodka variety. Sure, it's tasteless, but that let's me enjoy the spiciness/flavor of the BM. Err... you know what I meant.

Comment

So, I live nowhere near NYC... wondering if there's a good way to replicate this? Found a website that said they infuse the bourbon with peppers, and use a special blended tomato juice. Will have to do some thinking here... Thanks Shomas!

Comment

Toyed around with some fresh squeezed grapefruit last night. Good stuff. Made a Blinker with Rittenhouse, grapefruit, and homemade pomegranate. Also did a grapefruit smash with some fresh mint and a little lemon.
                            My cocktail videos >

Comment

Favorite for tonight, an Old Pal: 2 parts rye, 1 Campari, 1 dry vermouth, ice, stirred, strained and garnished with orange peel. Two will suffice.

Comment

Originally posted by robert12 View Post
                                Favorite for tonight, an Old Pal: 2 parts rye, 1 Campari, 1 dry vermouth, ice, stirred, strained and garnished with orange peel. Two will suffice.
                                I make something similar with sweet vermouth instead of dry. I'll have to give it a shot with dry.

Comment

Working...
                                X