No announcement yet.

Your Favorite Cocktail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which do you think would be the best entry gin? do you have other great entry gin recommendations? ive heard bombay saphire for cocktails is a great option. some say hendricks and tanqueray are overrated.
    My cocktail videos >

Comment

Originally posted by tdig View Post
      Which do you think would be the best entry gin? do you have other great entry gin recommendations? ive heard bombay saphire for cocktails is a great option. some say hendricks and tanqueray are overrated.
      I've enjoyed Tanqueray 10. I'm not a gin expert, but I've read that it's on the citrusy side for gins. I really enjoyed it in gin-forward mixed drinks like a Tom Collins and a Gin Fizz. It's probably not what you're looking for for martinis and negronis, but I honestly don't know.

Comment

I don't think Hendricks is overrated at all. It's very good, but it has a fairly subtle flavor, so I wouldn't recommend it for mixing with very flavorful ingredients. It's great in a very dry, not very dirty martini. Tanqueray is fine, but the flavor somehow tastes synthetic to me. That's maybe not very artuculate, but it's hard to describe beyond that - maybe "one dimensional with that dimension being juniper" is a better description? I actually prefer Bombay Dry to Bombay Sapphire, but either one is a good option. Plymouth is quite good as well, though it's probably best for mixing into things like Negronis. I had a bottle of Broker's gin recently and it was pretty good (and very inexpensive).

With all of that said, though, I'm really not that picky. And while I'm on the giving-advice-involving-gin train, I highly recommend swapping out the vodka in a Bloody Mary with gin. It actually adds flavor rather than just alcohol and that flavor tends to be a pretty good complement to Bloody Mary ingredients.

Comment

You don't get as much of the juniper flavor in Hendricks, but I don't think it is over-rated in the least. Hendrick's has a lot of subtle flavors that come out. Delicious.
          "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

When gin&tonics were my drink of choice (back in the '90s), my first preference was Bombay Sapphire, followed by Tanqueray.

Flash forwarding to the present, I don't drink gin too often, except for mainly in either Negronis, typically during the Summertime. For those, I have recently (meaning last Summer) used both Bombay Sapphire and Gordon's; varying costs, but both seemed to work well in such a flavorful cocktail as the Negroni, IMO.

I have been wanting to try some Hendrick's, so I may do that when things heat up around here. And I've also heard/read some good things about the cheapie, New Amsterdam. Anyone try that one?

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
              I have been wanting to try some Hendrick's, so I may do that when things heat up around here. And I've also heard/read some good things about the cheapie, New Amsterdam. Anyone try that one?
              I also have read a lot of good reviews on New Amsterdam and its only 11.99 at my local store. Might have to give that one a go.
              My cocktail videos >

Comment

New Amsterdam has a strong orange-citrus flavor. If I use it in a gin and tonic, it no longer tastes like a gin and tonic to me. For that reason, I have never bought another bottle. However, it is tasty on its own and would probably be good in a drink with citrus ingredients.

I have tried several different gin's to find "the one" for me, and right now it is Beefeater.

Comment

Picked up a bottle of Bluebird Gin. Have a good relationship with a guy at the liquor store and he recommended it. Thinking about giving a go at a minor twist on a Bees Knees to start. Gin, Honey, Lemon juice, Homemade Citrus Lavender Bitters.
                  My cocktail videos >

Comment

Picked up a bottle of Bluebird Gin. Have a good relationship with a guy at the liquor store and he recommended it. Thinking about giving a go at a minor twist on a Bees Knees to start. Gin, Honey, Lemon juice, Homemade Citrus Lavender Bitters.
                    Wow, that sounds like springtime in a glass. I bet it's fantastic. I've never tried Bluebird myself. Let us know how you like it.

Comment

Sounds great. I don't have any citrus lavender bitters, so I'm gonna try it with orange bitters.

Comment

ps I meant Bluecoat not Bluebird...
                        My cocktail videos >

Comment

Went to a bar in DC this weekend called Lincoln and I have to say their cocktail program is fantastic. They rotate their cocktail menu seasonally and so they are just wrapping up with their winter menu. Besides a great cocktail menu, they had an awesome staff and an infusion room. One of the bartenders actually took me back and talked me through everything going on in the infusion room. Of course I snapped a picture:

Lots of cool stuff, oatmeal infused applejack, honey bourbon, bacon bourbon, blackberry and ginger bourbon, spiced rum, coffee and orange mezcal, lots of homemade bitters, and much more.

I had the 49'er and the Lincoln Sour. Both great but I'm a sucker for sours so that one won me over.

49'er - Honey infused bourbon, fresh grapefruit, lavender
                          Lincoln Sour - Knob Creek, Laird’s Applejack, fresh egg white, lime, Barkeep apple bitters

Had been a while since I did any infusions so I took some inspiration and went ahead and threw a couple together yesterday.

My cocktail videos >

Comment

I like gin & tonic, dirty vodka martini and whisky ginger.

BTW, I'm trying to branch out...what else might I like? I actually really like dirty vodka martini...but want something just as good. Suggestions?

Comment

Went to a bar in DC this weekend called Lincoln and I have to say their cocktail program is fantastic. They rotate their cocktail menu seasonally and so they are just wrapping up with their winter menu. Besides a great cocktail menu, they had an awesome staff and an infusion room. One of the bartenders actually took me back and talked me through everything going on in the infusion room. Of course I snapped a picture:

Lots of cool stuff, oatmeal infused applejack, honey bourbon, bacon bourbon, blackberry and ginger bourbon, spiced rum, coffee and orange mezcal, lots of homemade bitters, and much more.

I had the 49'er and the Lincoln Sour. Both great but I'm a sucker for sours so that one won me over.

49'er - Honey infused bourbon, fresh grapefruit, lavender
                              Lincoln Sour - Knob Creek, Laird’s Applejack, fresh egg white, lime, Barkeep apple bitters

Had been a while since I did any infusions so I took some inspiration and went ahead and threw a couple together yesterday.
                              That looks awesome. I'm going to DC for a conference one weekend in April. I will put it on my list of places to check out. I'm curious about the oatmeal infused applejack. Did you taste any?

@justaguy, if you like gin and tonics, you might like a negroni. It's equal parts gin, Campari and sweet vermouth. You can tone down the bitterness a little by swapping out the Campari for Aperol. I'm not sure what to recommend as a branch-out from a vodka martini. I don't drink vodka myself other than occasionally in a bloody mary. However, going with the simplicity theme, you might try a greyhound (vodka and grapefruit juice) or a salty dog (same, but with gin instead of vodka and a salt rimmed glass). You could try a vodka or gin gimlet (vodka or gin, lime juice, simple syrup). Or branch a little further out and try a daiquiri (white rum, lime juice, simple syrup). I realize these are going to be a little sweeter than a dirty vodka martini, but if you play with your ratios, you should be able to get a nice balance. These are all particularly good as the weather warms up, too, so you could have a very pleasant several months in front of you!

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                                That looks awesome. I'm going to DC for a conference one weekend in April. I will put it on my list of places to check out. I'm curious about the oatmeal infused applejack. Did you taste any?
                                I didn't get chance to try the oatmeal infused applejack but I would like to in the future. They use in "The Hunter" cocktail which is oatmeal infused applejack, cider reduction, vanilla cinnamon bitters. Sounds like an amazing fall cocktail. Interested to see how they change it up for the new Spring menu.

@justaguy Kentucky Mules are a good twist on standard whiskey and ginger drinks. Basically bourbon, ginger beer (not ginger ale), lime juice, and aromatic bitters. Typically served in a copper mug but any rocks glass will do fine. For gin, try an Aviation or toss in some cucumber and mint in with your Gin and Tonic. I'd recommend Fever Tree Tonic too.
                                My cocktail videos >

Comment

Working...
                                X