Your Favorite Cocktail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
    Ah, so a sort of *browned* Negroni. Sort of.
    Yes, a lot like that. The ratios are a little different to let more of the rye flavor through, but it's definitely in that vein. Kind of a cross between a Negroni and a manhattan (Mangroni?) - especially with the maraschino cherry garnish.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
      Kind of a cross between a Negroni and a manhattan (Mangroni?)
      Don't let Adam Carolla read this.

Comment

For a long time I drank beer and that was it, there are very few styles of the stuff I don't like. I guess light beer, but that hardly counts. Recently I decided to venture out, I'm trying some Ryes and I have been making Whisky Sours because they are so easy to make. They taste pretty good too.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
          @tdig, please do report back! I'd love to hear your process for making bitters and how it turns out.
          Bottled this past Friday and was using them all weekend for a party we had. Everyone raved about how much of a difference the homemade bitters made on their cocktails. Mostly stuck to a few twists on your standard Old Fashioneds and Manhattans. Also threw in a couple Sazeracs. I ended up extracting close to 20 ingredients and bottled 6 variations; Aromatic Bitters, Old Fashioned Bitters, Creole Bitters (similar to Peychauds), Orange Cardamom, Citrus Lavender, and Walnut.

For the Old Fashioneds I used Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage 2002 Bourbon, homemade Rosemary Simple Syrup, Old Fashioned Bitters, and Orange Cardamom bitters garnished with orange peel. The Manhattans were Rittenhouse Rye, Noilly Pratt Rogue, and Aromatic Bitters, garnished with lemon peel. Then for the Saz I used Rittenhouse Rye, Creole Bitters, sugar cube, Herbsaint, and garnish with lemon peel.
          My cocktail videos >

Comment

Home made dominican rum, cured for 2 months, its ridiculous how good it is. I went to DR with the wife a couple of years ago and bought one of the bottles with the dried wood and leaves and mixed in my high end red wine and i have some really strong stuff. refill every now and then and it just gets better.
            "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
            I>0<I

Comment

Originally posted by MaxMan View Post
              Home made dominican rum, cured for 2 months, its ridiculous how good it is. I went to DR with the wife a couple of years ago and bought one of the bottles with the dried wood and leaves and mixed in my high end red wine and i have some really strong stuff. refill every now and then and it just gets better.
              Sounds like mamajuana to me. Had more than my share of that stuff when I was down in DR recently.
              My cocktail videos >

Comment

Simple- in the morning - spicey Bloody Marys with Stoli. Afternoons- Gin or Vodka & Tonic (lime or lemon respectivley) and in the evening... I guess I don't drink mixed drinks in the evenings. I reserve that for whisky, neat.

Comment

I had a caipirinha yesterday for the first time since last summer. man that drink always takes me back to a warm island somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by tdig View Post
                    Sounds like mamajuana to me. Had more than my share of that stuff when I was down in DR recently.
                    bingo, the stuff is amazing, especially if your using a good to very good red wine
                    "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                    I>0<I

Comment

Originally posted by NYCToon View Post
                      I had a caipirinha yesterday for the first time since last summer. man that drink always takes me back to a warm island somewhere...
                      Ah, yes. I had my first one in Sao Paulo ,Brazil, visiting for my friend's wedding. It was INCREDIBLE! Never had one even close to it yet, but even when they're bad, they're still pretty good.

Too sweet, for my current tastes (trying to watch the sugar intake), but man you're right - they take me back too.

Comment

I have numerous mixed drinks that I rotate around. The Prime Directive is "Life is too short to drink bad booze" and the General rule is no pre-made mixers, drinks are always better when made from scratch with fresh ingredients.

The Manhattan has been voted the "Family Drink" by my brother and I. Wild Turkey Rye is the whiskey I prefer.

I really like a freshly made REAL Mai Tai, come to think about it... most any drink that has freshly squeezed lime juice is pretty good.

Comment

Been toying with all kinds of cocktails as of late. Actually just put a Sazerac base into my barrel (Rye, simple syrup, homemade "creole" bitters [similar to Peychauds], and homemade aromatic bitters). Wanted to highlight a cocktail though that I can't stop drinking at home. I made it for a few friends recently and we all agree that its one of the best cocktails we've had. I recently read Craft Cocktails at Home by Kevin Liu and used some techniques/tips to modify a recipe online. Here's what I came up with:

Clementine Whiskey Sour
                          2 oz Rye Whiskey (Rittenhouse is ideal)
                          3/4 oz fresh squeezed clementine juice
                          1/2 oz fresh squeezed lime juice
                          1/2 oz homemade simple syrup
                          1/2 oz egg white
                          1 dash orange bitters (i used homemade orange cardamom bitters)
                          1 dash angustora bitters (i used homemade aromatic bitters)

First, put your serving glass into the freezer. It needs at least 5 minutes in the freezer to reach its peak temperature. Combine everything except the angustora bitters into a mixing glass. Dry shake for 15-20 seconds. Add ice to the mixing glass and shake again for another 15 seconds. Strain into chilled serving glass. Add a dash of angustora bitters to the foam as garnish.

It'll look something like this:
                          My cocktail videos >

Comment

Well damn, tdig, that looks awesome. I've been looking for a cocktail to throw an egg white into and that may be just the thing. We usually have clementines around, too, because my daughter loves them.

Lately I've been making a variation on a "last word," which is usually equal parts gin, lime juice, maraschino liqueur and Green Chartreuse. I don't have any Chartreuse, so I subbed in some St. George absinthe and dialed it back to a little less than one whole part - maybe about 3/4. I throw it all together in a shaker with a few dashes of Fee Bros. peach bitters, shake it up and serve in a cocktail glass with a lime twist garnish. Damn tasty - tart and astringent with a nice anise overlay. The absinthe packs a wallop, so it's best to hold yourself to one of these. It's a bit summery, but it does warm the belly...

Comment

can't go wrong with chartreuse or anything from st. george. have you had the st. george gins? ive had their absinthe and single malt lot 11 and both are amazing. i have heard that their terroir gin is one of the best. im not typically a big gin drinker but i do want to try and expand my horizons beyond just whiskey and potentially into a bit more gin.
                              My cocktail videos >

Comment

I've had their gins and they are fantastic. Truly exceptional. I had a bottle of the Dry Rye Gin and it went all too quickly - it was perfect for really simple cocktails like gimlets or dry martinis. I've tasted all of the others and of them I think Botanivore is my favorite, but I tend to like a really aggressively flavored gin. The Terroir was very good, but it was more impressive as an exercize in capturing the essence of a place (hence the name, I suppose). It really was like my mouth was on a hike in the mountains of Northern California.

I tried all of them at a tasting at the distillery in Alameda, Ca. It's on a decommissioned navy base and it's a pretty impressive setup. I was just killing time in town with a friend, so I didn't do the whole tour of the distillery. But just the tasting was a great way to spend an hour - and they have all sorts of hooch, so there was a lot to taste. I highly recommend it if you are ever in the Bay Area.

Comment

Working...
                                X