Your Favorite Cocktail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
    The peanuts were indeed salted. I think some flavored salt would actually be a great move. My initial thought was to go with cilantro, but no basil, but then I had the thought that I was favoring the sandwich ingredients at the expense of the taste of the drink, so I called an audible in the produce aisle. Turns out, both would probably be better. In addition, thai basil would probably be better than the standard stuff I used; my market just didn't happen to have any.

Stand by for the next challenge...
    Ill have to see if I can find the video but its a great gin drink where the bartender uses a ton of various herbs all together. Definitely intrigued me. Also, I edited my post to ask about your carrot juice. Did you juice it yourself?
    My cocktail videos >

Comment

Originally posted by tdig View Post
      Ill have to see if I can find the video but its a great gin drink where the bartender uses a ton of various herbs all together. Definitely intrigued me. Also, I edited my post to ask about your carrot juice. Did you juice it yourself?
      No, I went with a jar of store-bought stuff. I was already getting some side-eye from Mrs. Shomas re. this whole project and I figured that taking the time to juice the carrots would have incited open hostility.

Comment

Huh. I guess I'm the oddball. I drink beer or Irish Whiskey on the rocks. Tullamore Dew being my preference.

Comment

For the next challenge, I'm going to broaden it a tiny bit. Rather than a single ingredient, I'm going to throw out a class of ingredients that leaves a bit of room for interpretation: flowers.

Flowers come in a lot of consumable forms, from elderflower liqueur to orange blossom water, to actual edible flowers. So, this should allow a reasonable amount of options. I'm looking forward to whatever the challengee comes up with because I'm kind of dying for trappings of spring in any way I can get them.

So, who's up for it?

Comment

For the next challenge, I'm going to broaden it a tiny bit. Rather than a single ingredient, I'm going to throw out a class of ingredients that leaves a bit of room for interpretation: flowers.

Flowers come in a lot of consumable forms, from elderflower liqueur to orange blossom water, to actual edible flowers. So, this should allow a reasonable amount of options. I'm looking forward to whatever the challengee comes up with because I'm kind of dying for trappings of spring in any way I can get them.

So, who's up for it?
            I'm up for this. Hopefully our first two rounds inspire a few others to follow suit.
            My cocktail videos >

Comment

I have no doubt that you'll come up with something awesome. And I concur with the hope that it inspires someone else to jump in.

Comment

I'm so lost on mixed drinks. I have a wet bar in my home that has never been touched. It's full of liquor that hasn't been touched. I can't even recall where it all came from, now. Whenever we host parties (30-50 people), I just mix up big batches of margaritas. But that's the extent of my drink mixing ability. I usually stick to beer.

Comment

Originally posted by tdig View Post
                  Do you have a juicer? I made some celery juice last week just using a food processor. Worked pretty good although I imagine it yields much less than a juicer would.
                  I can definitely recommend a juicer for making interesting cocktails. My favorite drink, boozed or not, is freshly juiced oranges and cucumbers. Great in a Pimms cup.

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                    I'm so lost on mixed drinks. I have a wet bar in my home that has never been touched. It's full of liquor that hasn't been touched. I can't even recall where it all came from, now. Whenever we host parties (30-50 people), I just mix up big batches of margaritas. But that's the extent of my drink mixing ability. I usually stick to beer.
                    I'm with ya there. My mixing consists of whiskey and coke.

Comment

What a shame!

I used to be a beer-only guy. Then, one of my friends started getting in to whiskeys of all sorts, which got me interested. First, I figured out what kinds of liquor I liked (bourbon, rye, scotch, and gin mostly) and then did some digging to find the classic/basic cocktails made with those liquors. I started making them for myself or ordering them while out occasionally and figured out which ones I preferred. Now, I have a solid handful of basic cocktails (Manhattan, negroni, old fashioned, sidecar, etc.) that hit the spot after a long day.

Comment

I have no doubt that you'll come up with something awesome. And I concur with the hope that it inspires someone else to jump in.
                        As a former bartender that misses the work, I'll likely jump in on this soon. As for the challenge, St. Germain elderflower liqueur is in everything these days (or at least it is around me), so this challenge will likely yield a cocktail that will be easily accessible for all on the forums to try! (That's of course assuming [MENTION=2555]tdig[/MENTION] makes somthing good, but I have few concerns about that.)

Comment

What time should we be over?

Comment

Originally posted by andrewlcraft View Post
                            I'm with ya there. My mixing consists of whiskey and coke.

Agree 3/4 Woodford reserve 1/4 Coke.

Comment

Enjoying my "flower" cocktail on the balcony. Great stuff. Post coming soon.
                              My cocktail videos >

Comment

I must have written down 6-8 different concept recipes for this before deciding what route I wanted to take. I considered using my St Germaine but that felt like the easy way out. I bought some rose water not too long ago but haven't found a use for it so this felt like my chance! I also recently bought an Isi whipper that I've been dying to use making a carbonated cocktail. And so it began. Here's what I ended up with:

Makes 2 cocktails:

3 oz gin
                                1.5 oz rhubarb liqueur (thanks [MENTION=2055]greg_s[/MENTION])
                                1.5 oz fresh squeezed grapefruit
                                1 oz simple syrup
                                2 scant bar spoons rose water
                                4 oz Flower Power IPA (finally found some in DC!)

Combine all ingredients and chill in fridge for an hour or so. Add ingredients to ISI. Add about 100 grams of crushed ice. Hit it with one CO2. Dispense air. Hit with second CO2. Swirl till ice melts. Dispense (will need a towel or measuring cup to catch second dispense.) Pour over ice. Garnish with edible flowers. Drink cocktail then drink the rest of the beer!

You could also shake everything except the beer. Pour over ice then top with the IPA.

I actually funneled half into an empty beer bottle and capped it for later. With the citrus this would probably last a few days though I plan to drink it tonight.

Next challenge: lemongrass!!
                                Last edited by tdig; March 22, 2014, 04:25 PM.
                                My cocktail videos >

Comment

Working...
                                X