Your Favorite Cocktail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tdig View Post
    The delicacies of the citrus and orange flower water would definitely get lost if you simply swapped in bourbon and maple. You're better off going for a more traditional bourbon flip. A cocktail bar out of KC that I follow actually did a "Bourbon Lift" recently that is probably closer.

http://thecampgroundkc.com/experience/bourbonlift

They attribute it as a twist on this one:

http://elementcollective.com/2013/12...om-hard-water/
    That blog is gorgeous. Do you have any other cocktail blogs/websites you follow? I have a few on my tumblr, but nothing I'm too excited about.

Comment

On a Ward 8 kick recently. Whiskey sours, Tom Collins, Manhattans currently.

Comment

Entered this into a cocktail competition:

2.5 oz Barrel Aged Bols Genever
        1/2 oz IPA syrup
        2 dashes of vanilla bitters
        1 finger of ginger
        6-8 mint leaves

Add mint leaves, ginger, and vanilla bitters to a glass. Gently press and coat the sides of the glass. Add 1/2 oz IPA syrup and 2.5 oz of barrel aged bols genever. Fill with crushed ice. Garnish with mint sprigs and hop cone.

IPA Syrup - Reduce IPA by one third and combine with equal parts sugar.
        My cocktail videos >

Comment

Incredibly fortunate to attend a cocktail class last night at Barmini! Lots of awesome pics in the album:

http://imgur.com/a/b81G3
          My cocktail videos >

Comment

Many things look amazing there, but the standout might be the foiewaffle haha. Also, you suck and hope the ramen treated ya well!
            "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
              Many things look amazing there, but the standout might be the foiewaffle haha. Also, you suck and hope the ramen treated ya well!
              Actually you nailed it. Everything was amazing and the standout was the foiewaffle...
              My cocktail videos >

Comment

Found this one, Oak & Almond, on Drinkshouts, and I figured I'd give it a shot tonight. I didn't use exactly the same ingredients (Boodles Gin, cheap Amaretto, Fees Orange Bitters). It's surprisingly good; the way the three alcohols interact is really nice. I'd be curious to try it with a nicer amaretto.

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
                  Found this one, Oak & Almond, on Drinkshouts, and I figured I'd give it a shot tonight. I didn't use exactly the same ingredients (Boodles Gin, cheap Amaretto, Fees Orange Bitters). It's surprisingly good; the way the three alcohols interact is really nice. I'd be curious to try it with a nicer amaretto.
                  I *just* saw that one on Primermagazine. Cool. Wondered if it'd be good to try. I too have cheap amaretto (actually sometimes the cheap stuff ain't half-bad), but I have super-sucky orange bitters (like Collins in a white plastic bottle), so I better snag something better in that department before I give it a go. Thanks for the personal feedback, though, bj.

Comment

I came across this cocktail challenge recently in Chicago Reader. Basically one bartender challenges another bartender in the city to create a cocktail using a specific ingredient. That bartender makes a cocktail featuring that ingredient then becomes the challenger. They do some pretty crazy ingredients (pizza grease, fermented black beans, sardines, miracle whip, etc.) but I thought it might be fun to try it here but keep the ingredients much more accessible and reasonable. Instead of specifically calling someone out I was thinking the Challenger could post a challenge and anyone could accept that challenge. First person to accept becomes the Challenger for the next round. Try to take pictures of your cocktail and post your recipe along with the next challenge but post first that you have accepted so that only one person is working on a challenge at a time.

I'll start with the first challenge: Carrots

Link to Chicago Reader challenge:
                    http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago...3684348&page=1
                    Last edited by tdig; March 4, 2014, 03:35 PM.
                    My cocktail videos >

Comment

Carrots. I think I can do that. It's not going to happen until the weekend, but I'll accept this challenge.

I think I like this idea. That said, I'm fairly adventurous, but Miracle Whip would be tough to stomach.

Comment

That a boy. Was hoping you'd start us off Shomas!
                        My cocktail videos >

Comment

I'm game for almost anything involving a decent amount of booze. Carrots are going to be tricky, but I think I've got a decent idea.

Comment

Alright, here we go. Let me preface this by saying that this is a work in progress and I welcome any suggestions for improvements. I will also point out that when I described this idea to my wife, she said "that's fine, but can you make me something good instead?" Then she tasted my concoction and actually admitted that she had been wrong. So, on that important metric anyway, this is already a winner.

With that out of the way, behold, my take on a cocktail involving carrots. I give to you, the "Banh Mary."

Before launching into a whole explanation of what it is and what I was thinking, here's a picture of the thing:

When I took this on, I first tried to think of food that contains carrots. Carrot cake? Sure, but I don't like carrot cake and there's nothing particularly "carrot-y" about it. Eventually, it occurred to me that the only thing I eat with any regularity that includes carrots is Vietnamese food. I especially like carrots grated on top of a Banh Mi sandwich. With that in mind, I set out to make a drink that would include carrots and some of the bright, herby flavors I like in Vietnamese food. After some trial and error, this is what I arrived at:

Ingredients:
                            Basil leaves (1 handful)
                            Mint leaves (1 handful)
                            Peanuts (roasted and shelled) (about a tablespoon full)
                            Juice of 1 large lime
                            Coconut juice (1.5 oz) (not coconut water, mind you - actual coconut juice)
                            Carrot juice (3 oz)
                            Pineapple juice (1.5 oz)
                            Sriracha (to taste)
                            Light rum (2 oz)

Technique:
                            Muddle together the basil, mint, and peanuts.
                            Pour in the coconut juice, pineapple juice, lime juice, and carrot juice.
                            Squeeze in a couple squirts of Sriracha. I like a spicy drink, so I was fairly generous. If you like a little less spice, adjust accordingly.

Dry shake and set aside. Let the flavors marry for a few minutes to a few hours. The longer they have to intermingle, the better, but as few as ten minutes should be fine.

Add rum (I used Don Q cristal rum, but any clear rum will work) and ice and shake. Strain into a rocks glass over ice, garnish with some basil (or a dumb looking carrot-basil tree, if you want to be fancy like me), and drink.

This is a savory, relatively low alcohol drink. My wife declared it a brunch drink (and I agree), so I would advise drinking as you would a bloody mary (hence, the name...). You can even scale the ingredients up and make a big batch as mix, then add the liquor on a drink-by-drink basis.
                            Is this particularly carrot-y? No, but the earthiness the carrot juice lends is unmistakeable, though it may not be the first flavor that leaps out at you.
                            I tried this with gin at first and I didn't like it as much, but any clear liquor would probably work. I didn't have any tequila on hand, but that seems like it might be a good move. A dark rum might be nice in this as well. I'll keep monkeying with it and see if any substitution yields particularly good results.
                            The key to this drink being any good is that the herbaciousness of the basil, mint, and sriracha needs to come through. Err on the side of more, rather than less, of those things. Also, using basil as a garnish is a very good idea, because it heightens that aspect of the drink.
                            I haven't tried it with cilantro, but I think that might make a nice addition (assuming you aren't one of those people with the genes that make cilantro taste like soap).
                            The peanuts may seem a little weird, but the little bit of salt they add to the mix as well as a subtle umami note are both nice. If you're allergic to peanuts, maybe just throw in some salt (or some saline solution).

Here's another pic:

Comment

Bravo @shamos!!

Funny my first suggestion was going to be cilantro before I read further that you considered cilantro. Most of the banh mi around here has cilantro and not basil. All in all I love this and can't wait to try it. May have to wait for a warm weather Sunday morning on the balcony though. Considering you mentioned that the salt from the peanuts was a nice addition can I assume that you used salted peanuts? I like the idea of using unsalted peanuts and sprinkling some flavored salts on top. But thats just because Im starting to get into flavored salts...Maybe some habanero salt...The carrot flavor may not be overwelming but it definitely makes for a great looking drink imo. And I have to disagree with you that your garnish is "dumb"...once I realized what it was I instantly loved it...How did you go about getting your carrot juice? Do you have a juicer? I made some celery juice last week just using a food processor. Worked pretty good although I imagine it yields much less than a juicer would.

Next challenge?!?!
                              Last edited by tdig; March 17, 2014, 02:59 PM.
                              My cocktail videos >

Comment

The peanuts were indeed salted. I think some flavored salt would actually be a great move. My initial thought was to go with cilantro, but no basil, but then I had the thought that I was favoring the sandwich ingredients at the expense of the taste of the drink, so I called an audible in the produce aisle. Turns out, both would probably be better. In addition, thai basil would probably be better than the standard stuff I used; my market just didn't happen to have any.

Stand by for the next challenge...

Comment

Working...
                                X