Your Favorite Cocktail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pratyk View Post
    Here are a few beer cocktail recipes from a local bar in Cambridge. I've tried 2 of these and they were pretty good.

http://drinkcraftbeer.com/editorial/...ed-to-try.html
    I'm definitely filing this away for summer. Thanks!

Comment

By request here is the Statesman Sour. First thing that came to mind when I thought about earl grey tea was ginger and peaches. The combination of flavors ended up better than expected.

https://vimeo.com/84009282
      My cocktail videos >

Comment

Been a busy week. This week I've started the following:

Charred Pineapple Hopped Bitters
        Blood Orange Liqueur
        Grapefruit Basil Bitters
        Coffee Pecan Bitters
        Orgeat

Getting ready for spring drinking!
        My cocktail videos >

Comment

Originally posted by tdig View Post

Blood Orange Liqueur
          Grapefruit Basil Bitters
          Coffee Pecan Bitters
          Orgeat

All of those sound amazing - particularly the charred pineapple hopped and the grapefruit basil. My month of no booze ends today, so I will be drinking well this weekend. I will finally be able to give you feedback (and pics!) on your bitters. I'm especially looking forward to trying out those XXX bitters in a couple of things.

Comment

Blood Orange Liqueur
            Grapefruit Basil Bitters
            Coffee Pecan Bitters
            Orgeat

Are you making ("starting") your own bitters?

Comment

Originally posted by marathon View Post
              Are you making ("starting") your own bitters?
              Yea I've been making my own bitters for a while now. Probably have 8-9 in rotation at the moment.
              My cocktail videos >

Comment

Your Favorite Cocktail

I made a couple of Ready, Fire, Aims tonight using Tdig's XXX bitters (see photo below). The drink is mezcal, pineapple juice, lime juice, pineapple honey syrup and spicy bitters. Its garnished with ground pink peppercorns.

It's a great drink. And the bitters...motherf**ker, they are spicy! They made the cocktails nicely picante, but not crazily so. However, I did make the mistake of licking the pipette after using it to put the bitters in the mix. This was a very stupid thing to do and my lips and tongue paid the price for several minutes.

Overall, though, I'm very impressed with your bitters-crafting skill, Tdig (and, of course, very thankful to you for sharing!).

Comment

Just catching up with this thread. I tried my hand at making my own bitters in December as I will be attending a homemade bitters exchange in a couple of weeks with some food friends.

I made pimento dram (allspice bitters). I used it in Lion's Tails that I made for my half-hour rotating bartending slot at a NYE party. I also used it in Usquaebach Punch. Both went over well.

Here what else is the line-up for the bitters exchange:

Pecan Coffee
                  Pear
                  Pine
                  Thai
                  Sour Cherry
                  Some sort of smokey bitters
                  Orange and Chocolate
                  A sumac-wormwood-coriander-buddha's hand concoction

Plus a couple of unannounced contributions.

It should make for some interesting drinks this year!

Comment

Oh man can't believe you licked the pipette! That's no joke. Drinks look great though. Glad you enjoyed them. I'll shoot you a few more recipes that work well.
                    My cocktail videos >

Comment

I made some Ramos Gin Fizzes as a "while cooking dinner" libation today. They're a little inappropriate for the season, but they're awesome! Gin, lemon juice, lime juice, heavy cream, egg whites, orange blossom water, and seltzer. It's kind of like drinking a (mildly) boozy meringue. Super fun. Leaves a white foam in the 'stache, if you have one.

Comment

Well done! Love a good Ramos gin fizz. Looks like a nice foam there. I can see the extended lip on the right glass. My favorite is to stick a straw in the middle. Should be able to stand straight up. I've seen some that will extend a solid 1-1.5 inches over the glass.
                        My cocktail videos >

Comment

I'm a fan of the Godfather, but I keep wanting to try the Rusty Nail, just never get around to it.

Comment

Well done! Love a good Ramos gin fizz. Looks like a nice foam there. I can see the extended lip on the right glass. My favorite is to stick a straw in the middle. Should be able to stand straight up. I've seen some that will extend a solid 1-1.5 inches over the glass.
                            They were some pretty stiff peaks (as well they should have been, given how much I shook them - I'm actually a little sore). I think I could have gotten the foam a good bit higher off the lip of the glass if I'd tried adding more seltzer, but as it was, the kitchen was a little chaotic and I thought discretion was the better part of valor for my first time out. I'm definitely filing this one away for later when I have guests to impress, though.

I was thinking that there's probably a way to make this a little more fall/winter appropriate with bourbon and maple syrup in place of the gin and simple syrup. Or am I off my nut on that one?

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                              I was thinking that there's probably a way to make this a little more fall/winter appropriate with bourbon and maple syrup in place of the gin and simple syrup. Or am I off my nut on that one?
                              The delicacies of the citrus and orange flower water would definitely get lost if you simply swapped in bourbon and maple. You're better off going for a more traditional bourbon flip. A cocktail bar out of KC that I follow actually did a "Bourbon Lift" recently that is probably closer.

http://thecampgroundkc.com/experience/bourbonlift

They attribute it as a twist on this one:

http://elementcollective.com/2013/12...om-hard-water/
                              My cocktail videos >

Comment

Originally posted by Domino View Post
                                I'm a fan of the Godfather, but I keep wanting to try the Rusty Nail, just never get around to it.
                                I enjoy both of those, though not as often these days (watching the sugar). One thing I do NOT recommend: enjoying(?) a Rusty Nail whilst on cold meds. Tried that a couple Winters back, trying to be a trooper at my wife's work Christmas party. For some reason the whisky+honey+herbs sounded close enough to the old-fashion remedy to me. Alas, no ah-ah.

Comment

Working...
                                X