Formula 1 Fans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Formula 1 Fans?

Are there any fellow F1 fans among my fellow Dappered readers? Anyone excited for the inaugural USGP in Austin?

I was excited - even put my name on the waitlist for the PSL tickets. Then I saw how they were structuring tickets and doing pricing, and I got my deposit back...

Maybe in upcoming years, they'll do a better job and I'll make it down.

Comment

Let's hope so. I'd love to see the race as well as Austin itself. Looks like a great city to visit. I was fortunate enough to see the Canadian GP in Montreal in 2010 and it was an amazing experience, so I would love to see another.

Comment

Oh, sorry - didn't see this until today. My wife and I were jacked about the USGP, and it's great to see the reception it got from the fans; those stands were packed. I know a few people who went, and they said it was an amazing circuit that really had thought of everything.

That said - no spoilers - but what a race! I can't think of a better return to our neck of the woods than that performance. The only thing it needed was Kimi berating his engineers some more.

Comment

I am a huge F1 fan. I have been watching since the days of Mansel and Senna. My favorite driver is Jenson Button. I was bummed that I didn't go to the race this past weekend, but hope to attend next year.

I just hope that the Finger doesn't win the WDC.

Comment

Originally posted by bremersm View Post
            I am a huge F1 fan. I have been watching since the days of Mansel and Senna. My favorite driver is Jenson Button. I was bummed that I didn't go to the race this past weekend, but hope to attend next year.

I just hope that the Finger doesn't win the WDC.
            Button fan here too! Awesome!

I'm with you on Vettel not winning, but only because Alonso deserves it for what he's done with that car. But, Vettel winning isn't the worst thing in the world, he's a phenomenally talented driver.

Comment

The issue I have with Vettel is the same issue I had with Schumacher in the 90s and 00's. He is a great driver and he knows it. When Button won the WDC he was humble about it. Vettel is far from humble.

Comment

I agree with all of you. I'm a big Jenson Button fan myself and felt pretty bummed when his car crapped out during qualifying; but he did have an excellent race otherwise. The circuit was amazing and I am really impressed with how well it came out.
                As for Vettel, while I respect his ability I am not a fan of his attitude. I think he is rather immature and I think his team enable his ego when they so clearly favor him over Webber. I have much greater respect for Fernando if only for his ability to take what is clearly an inferior package and still be fighting for the title. Definitely rooting for him in Brazil.

Comment

The thing about Vettel is that his success is 90% car/10% driver. I would like to see him in an STR, just for comparison.

It is going to be interesting to see what happens in the off season There are still some good seats available and we have two teams in financial trouble; HRT and Force India.

Comment

Yeah I'm a little surprised that Force India is in financial trouble. I think it has something to do with the legal troubles the owner is tied up in. It's a shame because they've had really good results this season and they had a good driver lineup. Hulkenberg is jumping ship to Sauber to take Perez's vacant seat, so I hope for Di Resta's sake that the team is still around next year.

As for HRT, I can't say I'm surprised. I hope they can figure something out to keep competing.

Comment

I can't say Vettel's success is mostly down to the car. He scored Torro Rosso's first - and so far only - race win. And when that Red Bull chassis wasn't up to par, he was still able to be very consistent with it and stay in the title hunt. As for his attitude, I'm not sure what you mean - I think he has a great attitude; he once had his mechanics' faces on his helmet during a race (looked so creepy on camera), always thanks the team at the end, and never says anything condescending about Webber or the other drivers. Although it was easy to see the team was a little too much behind him two years ago (giving the new nose to Webber after Vettel crashed his), but you can hardly chalk that up to him.

You could say that Button's only WDC was down to 90% car; that double diffusor put him within biting distance of the championship. However it was also down to him to maintain his lead and stay in the hunt with an inferior car when Brawn GP ran out of money.

I really like Force India, I hope they stick around. They were on a very clear development track with very steady improvement; probably another few years and they'll be snatching a race win here and there. HRT I'm not surprised, but that team has had to deal with a lot of setbacks in the garage before they even get a chance to race a car. When the previous owner pulled out, he owned half of the equipment and took it with him.

Anyone excited about F1 on NBC here in the States? They've done great stuff with MLS, it'll be awesome to see what they do with F1. And I'm pumped that (nearly) everyone is making the jump from Speed to NBC - here's to hoping Buxton does too. Seeing him get hilariously flustered on Paddock Pass is always fun.

Comment

While I respect Vettel's ability, I just feel there are some intangibles that cause me to dislike him. I feel he has made some questionable on-track maneuvers and has acted somewhat whiny and petulant when things haven't gone his way. Maybe it's just a matter of perception. However, I'll still never understand how he managed to T-bone Button's car from behind at Spa in 2010. That robbed Jenson of some major points and all he got was a drive-through penalty.

On the Jenson side, I do feel he had a superior car with Brawn GP and it allowed him to create quite a points gap. But as you said, they lost that advantage and he still had to maintain his lead. Plus, Barrichello was driving the same car and wasn't able to rack up the wins that Jenson did and I don't think anyone would argue that Rubens wasn't a great driver.

I'm excited for F1 on NBC if only for it to get the major TV coverage that it needs to succeed in the US. Good thing that Bob, David, and Steve will go as well as I don't think I would enjoy it nearly as much without their commentary. I do hope that Buxton joins them, but I must say I still miss having Peter Windsor down there as well. I was so disappointed that his US F1 team couldn't get their effort together a couple years back. That would have been so cool to have them on the grid, especially with Austin and the upcoming New Jersey race.

Comment

Working...
                        X