Straight razor users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straight razor users?

Out of curiosity, is there anyone in this community who shaves with a straight razor?

What do you have and what products do you use?
    "We had a sick night b*tches!"

Yes, i use a dovo 5/8 half hollow best quality. Excellent razor. Also using a tweezerman's brush and proraso/bigelow. I personally don't like the proraso though and was looking at acca kappa shaving cream. However, due to the lack of stores that sell actual shaving cream, its hard for me to pick one that i like. Do you have any suggestions? I'm looking for something lightly musky.

Comment

I use an Edwin Jagger double edge. I'd like to move to doing a legit straight razor every now and then. I use Bluebird blades, shave secret oil, and col monks almond shave soap.
      My cocktail videos >

Comment

I use a Dovo 5/8 full hollow ground 'Best Quality' razor. Looking to switch to the 6/8 Bismark model soon. At the moment I try to go as economical as possible so I just use the Van der Hagen set I picked up from walmart (scuttle, boar hair brush, and refill shaving soaps for about $11). I also have a pretty generic brush holder that I got from StraightRazorDesigns (allows you to store the brush upside down thereby extending the life of the brush). After the shave I just use a slight dab (about the size of a dime) of 'Oak' hand lotion from Bath and Body Works. Really simple, pretty straight forward. Nothing fancy. For any little nicks or grazes I get (if I'm being careless or rushing) I have a generic styptic pencil, and a little bit of neosporin nearby. For blade maintenance I have a leather strop I got from VintageBladesLLC, and I oil my blade after every use with baby oil to keep it from rusting from any moisture in the bathroom (it's cheap and effective). For honing I have a 6000 grit synthetic stone I got from a local shop that specializes in this sort of thing and a tube of semichrome paste to do the final finishing.

If you're looking to get started hit up VintageBladesLLC or StraightRazorDesigns online. Their prices are great and they hand hone all of their razors before sending them out. Plus they have tons of stuff to choose from (blades, strops, scuttles, mugs, soaps, creams, etc. You name it they have it!)

Comment

On a similar note, I use WhippedDog.com

Larry is a great guy and all of his razors are shave ready, unless you request otherwise.

As for my hardware, I use a 20mm brush that recently got upgraded to silvertip badger knot. I actually have 6 razors that I rotate out, 4 of which are regular use, 1 is shortened blade, and 1 is designated as my 'travel' razor.

I prefer using heavier , bigger blades, so my 3 in rotation are Wade and Butcher, all are 11/16 with a JA Henkels, either half or quarter hollow. Shortie is an old full hollow Dubl Duck that had a crack from previous user (its such a shame, but shes a work horse). 'Travel' razor is a Keen Kutter.

Comment

I've been on WhippedDog and it's good to hear good things about it. I've had my eye on some of his brushes since they're so reasonably priced compared to some others on the market...

Comment

Be warned, there is a slight animal smell to them at first.

Comment

Well... they're made with Animal fur. I'm not expecting daisies, rainbows and sunshine. A little animal smell is okay while breaking them in.

Comment

I figure. But some people may be more used to bristles super clean before ever making it onto the shelf.

Comment

Working...
                  X