How Are You Using the New Threads Site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Are You Using the New Threads Site?

I suppose the new layout is just taking some getting used to, but I still feel it is more complicated than the previous design. This allows for some great new features (like marking forums as read, etc.) but how have you been using the forums?

Do you read the Activity Feed?
    Do you just go to the "New Posts" page? Or "Today's Posts"? Or do you browse from the main forum page with the different categories (which doesn't exactly lend itself to easy navigating)?

What is your new "workflow", if you will, for the new threads?

Yea, there was def a curve when i first saw the site, but its kind of like style forum a little, the few times i have gone there. I just see whats active first then move to the forum tabs to see whats been unanswered. I really like it though.
    "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I

Comment

I've been reading the activity feed - or rather, the "what's new" thing - to try and keep track of things as they happen. I'm not crazy about how compartmentalized the new website is. Even though the old site had categories for a few different things, it was all presented together in a way that made it easy to see everything that was being posted without having to go into the categories themselves. For a relatively low-volume forum like this one, I think that was a better way of doing things than having 10 subforums that people may or may not think to look at. That's just my $.02.
      Ben

Comment

I agree.

Comment

When you say, to see what's unanswered in the forums tab, how do you mean?

Comment

And again, the new design does bring some great new features, like a quick reply, photo upload, profiles, etc, but I do think it is a bit too compartmentalized, like BenR said. This is not StyleForum, after all. And that's a damn good thing.

Comment

Ah, was wondering what happened to Ben. Thought he was lost in the conversion.
              For the new threads, I don't have any issue with it. Took a little getting used to but it's a pretty standard forum. My "workflow" is just diving right in. I skip the activity feed and all that and just read through the latest posts.
              Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

While I agree with BenR (is anyone actually going to refer to you as LesserBlackDog? We'll see) that the old format was easier in terms of presenting all of the new posts at once, I don't mind the new layout. As you also said, this is a pretty low volume forum, so I don't mind taking a few minutes to click in and out of the different subforums. Similarly, the "What's New" does a pretty good job of keeping me up to date if I just want a brief overview. I think it's a fair trade for the new features and better platform. Hopefully this new tech will entice new members to register which would lead to more posts, thus making the subforums more practical. I think it's sound planning for the future. Just hope in the meantime some of the lesser visited subforums maintain enough participation.

Comment

I click on each sub-forum. Sometimes a couple hours will keep you from seeing new posts in the What's New area plus some topics I do not read and can clog up the What's New. I like it though as I do not have to sift through what is actually new and what is a spammer making posts and reviving old threads.

Comment

FWIW, LesserBlackDog is the username I registered with on the old forum, but I always used BenR as my "nickname" to keep consistent with the name I use on the actual Dappered site. I don't remember why I registered as LesserBlackDog (except that it's a username I've used in some different venues). If I could change my username here to BenR, I would, but I don't think the forum allows for it.
                    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                      FWIW, LesserBlackDog is the username I registered with on the old forum, but I always used BenR as my "nickname" to keep consistent with the name I use on the actual Dappered site. I don't remember why I registered as LesserBlackDog (except that it's a username I've used in some different venues). If I could change my username here to BenR, I would, but I don't think the forum allows for it.
                      +1 - Having a "Display Name" option would be beneficial (there doesn't seem to be an option for this at the moment).

Comment

Originally posted by jputman08 View Post
                        +1 - Having a "Display Name" option would be beneficial (there doesn't seem to be an option for this at the moment).
                        Yeah it would be great. I don't like displaying my full name.

Comment

Hey guys, please submit a request at http://threads.dappered.com/sendmessage.php if you'd like your username changed. Please list your current username and the username that you'd like to have. For example:

"Please change my username from Arnold Schwarzenegger to PinkPony5."

Comment

Well, how do you read through "the latest posts". There doesn't seem to be a great way to do that anymore.

Comment

In the settings for your profile, you can actually set not to ever show threads older than a specific amount of time (say 100 days, or something). That should take care of that for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X