Paris anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paris anyone?

Heading to Paris in February but planning out my 3 days there early. The trip starts in Germany but it is more visiting my girlfriends family so I will not have time to venture out on my own. Plus it is in Dortmund and not some big city where I could just wander around.

For those of you that have been to Paris, is there any MUST hit places that aren't the usual museum or famous landmark? I've read that shopping for winter deals is pretty good in February so I may buy some clothes but other than that I have nothing. Hopefully the cold won't keep us inside too much as I grew up in Ohio so I am used to the cold weather.

Cheers!

Skip Paris and spend more time in Germany.
    Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

I've never been, either. I had a chance to go when I was in Amsterdam, but skipped it.

Comment

On a second trip the plan will be more time in Germany and possibly Spain. Her family has a couple houses around the region and I think the Spain residence is better enjoyed during the summer.

Comment

I like Paris quite a bit. A few things: Go to the Sainte-Chappelle, which is a tiny chapel on the Ile de la Cite. It's much smaller than Notre Dame, but the entire thing is covered in amazing stained glass (it was the private royal chapel). It's incredible. Walk on the Rue Mouffetard, a pedestrian road that starts south of the Pantheon and descends to the Place d'Italie; the road is a giant food market, and as you wander you can taste some of the best pastries, fruit, and rotisserie meats that you'll ever see. Hang out in the Jardin de Luxembourg and watch live music in the gazebo. Stroll around Saint Germain de Pres, and try some of the best bread in the world (Poilaine is a must). Get a bottle of wine, some cheese, and sit near the water on the tip of the Ile de la Cite and watch the beautiful sunset while getting tipsy.

Comment

I can't believe there is no love for Paris in here. Style capital anyone? I lived in Paris for a few years and there are many amazing areas to go, depending on your interests, of course. Basically hit up the Marais (cool vintage shops) and the Canal St. Martin (funky restaurants and bars) areas, anything else is a bonus.

There are more cool places out in the 20th, you will probably find yourself out there for the cemetery.

If you let me know what interests you (food, people watching, drinking, clubbing?) I can give some more solid recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by BB View Post
              Walk on the Rue Mouffetard ... Get a bottle of wine, some cheese, and sit near the water on the tip of the Ile de la Cite and watch the beautiful sunset while getting tipsy.
              100% agree. Rue Mouffetard feels exactly like you think Paris should feel. Also, get a Pastis or two, and say "merci" a lot.

Comment

Three days? Not enough. Next time, sublet an apartment, walk around and simply marinate.

Comment

The best city in the world. Enjoy it.

This is not exactly a hidden gem, but it's not the Louvre or Eiffel Tower either. My favorite place is the Rodin Museum, which has one of the nicest gardens in all of Paris. It's a bit of an oasis in the middle of the city with nothing between you and Rodin's masterworks including The Thinker.

http://www.musee-rodin.fr/en/

Comment

Originally posted by Johdus View Post
                    The best city in the world. Enjoy it.

This is not exactly a hidden gem, but it's not the Louvre or Eiffel Tower either. My favorite place is the Rodin Museum, which has one of the nicest gardens in all of Paris. It's a bit of an oasis in the middle of the city with nothing between you and Rodin's masterworks including The Thinker.

http://www.musee-rodin.fr/en/
                    +1, this is one of my favorite museums too and I've gone there probably 3-4 times. It's often virtually empty (of other tourists) and is a great chance to admire some amazing works of art without the masses. Many of the bronzes you can find at other museums as well but the marbles are one of a kind and amazing.

Aside from all the other touristy stuff you probably know about, La Maison du Whisky near la Madeleine is a fantastic place to pick up a bottle of Scotch, the catacombs are sort of spooky and fun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacombs_of_Paris), Hermes Paris is a sartorial must see, Jean-Paul Hevin is one of my favorite chocolate shops in the world (http://www.jeanpaulhevin.com/fr/boutiques.php), and New Morning is a great jazz club that I've performed at several times (http://www.newmorning.com/). Have a great trip!

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! This will more than fill up our 3 days there. Coffee and chocolate are the top of my list as well as maybe some museums. Was able to upgrade to exit row free of charge after a dip in prices for tickets and a complaint...saving ~$100 and upgraded?!? Not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by tomservo View Post
                        Skip Paris and spend more time in Germany.
                        I agree with Tom, last time I was in Paris people were rude and overall just disgusting. Germany was far more enjoyable for me, the countryside was beautiful the people seemed genuinely nice and far more pleasant.

Comment

I never encountered the rude Parisian stereotype. In fact, the younger Parisians seemed to love practicing their English

Comment

Originally posted by Johdus View Post
                            I never encountered the rude Parisian stereotype. In fact, the younger Parisians seemed to love practicing their English
                            My experience as well. If you act like a rude American who cuts in line and just assumes everyone will understand English, then you might get a rude response in return. If you make at least an attempt then people are generally kind and courteous in return. My French is terrible, I never studied it in school, but I'll at least try to order food or drinks in French and they will almost always answer in English.

This is probably my most used French phrase, so memorize it: je voudrais un vin rouge s'il vous plaît

Comment

Working...
                            X