Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wedding posts - odd advice?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Wedding posts - odd advice?

    I find it a bit odd that Dappered is deciding to convey public health advice via their style scenarios, but you know, strange times call for strange measures and all.

    I find it very odd that they are conveying public health advice without actually conveying the most useful public health advice, namely, GET A VACCINE.

    Vaccinated indoors with no masks >>>> indoors with masks but no vaccines, distancing or not.

    #2
    Probably more due to the fact that the fella who wrote that article acknowledges that there are still thousands if not millions of people out there apprehensive about BEING the clinical trial portion of what is still widely publicized to be an experimental vaccine, and while widely successful there ARE (again, very rare, but still real) significant risks among SOME individuals. Until more is known, some folks would prefer to hold off. (and that's coming from someone whose second round was back in march and ruined the next two days of my life)

    That's completely their choice, just like getting vaccinated is the choice of those who do so. Just like driving a Camry is some people's choice, a 911 is someone else's choice, and a pickup truck is someone else's choice.

    Also Dappered prints information which pertains to affordable men's style. It's not a public service platform or political soapbox. You can find all the debates about vaccination all over facebook and twiddlydoo. Probably isn't going to go over well here. We're here to discuss men's style. Polarizing shit needs to stay out. Styleforum probably has a spectacular thread all about the vax, idk i stopped going to that horrible armpit of the internet.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

    Comment


      #3
      I agree that the bit at the end about mask wearing was odd in that piece. I would have found it just as odd if the author ended his what to wear article by coming out of the blue and saying, "And remember to go outside if you smoke". Just not sure why he felt the need to insert his opinion about masks into a completely unrelated topic.

      But I also agree with the armedferret. I don't think anyone but your doctor should be encouraging or giving you advice on whether to get a vaccine. Especially not one that's only approved for emergency use.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by armedferret View Post
        Also Dappered prints information which pertains to affordable men's style. It's not a public service platform or political soapbox. You can find all the debates about vaccination all over facebook and twiddlydoo. Probably isn't going to go over well here. We're here to discuss men's style. Polarizing shit needs to stay out. Styleforum probably has a spectacular thread all about the vax, idk i stopped going to that horrible armpit of the internet.
        I'm very late on this response, but I agree with you, but if that's the case, then don't be posting stuff about making sure you wear your masks, or "here's something safe to do even if you are already vaccinated and thus at basically 0 risk" (lawn games article). Just say "here's a wedding outfit" "lawn games are fun" and dispense with the editorializing.

        Comment


          #5
          Looks like I need to bump this given the latest post.

          I'm vaccinated and glad I am - I think ivermectin is most likely a placebo at best.

          But if I want to read stuff about ivermectin or vaccines or the intersection of thereof I'll go to twitter or reddit or some other hellsite. I'm here because I want to read about fashion and deals. No one is getting convinced because their style site said "this is why we can't have nice things". Cut it out.

          Comment


            #6
            Totally agree and it's misinformation, to boot. The kind of misinformation that is apparently ok to share.

            Spreading nonsense about people taking "sheep dewormer" seriously dings the credibility of any author. Ivermectin has been administered to a quarter billion people annually around the world for years and is now suddenly being branded as risky snake oil because...why? Well, because a group of people think everyone should be vaccinated and those who aren't should be shamed and outcast.

            Not only is a style site not the place to soapbox for your ideology, if you choose to do it you really should be fully informed about the subject. Clearly they are not.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by JohnR View Post
              Especially not one that's only approved for emergency use.
              I know people are hesitant, and some are resistant, but this isn't true anymore. Pfizer is fully approved for use in the US.
              I never questioned my tetanus shot and that's far less likely to be an issue in my life (unless I start playing with rusty nails agin) than a GLOBAL PANDEMIC that has killed 650,000 Americans and 4.55 million people worldwide. Just imagine wiping out nearly all of Chicago, Cleveland & St. Louis because you didn't feel like wearing a sock over your face.

              As a society, we decided smoking indoors was way too dangerous to allow in public spaces. Everyone got behind it, giving up their vaunted "rights" and as a result, smoking is less of a killer than it was in previous decades. I fail to see why the society we live in has become so much less willing to protective public interest. I imagine that Joe is frustrated with the lack of vaccination and masking, and can't help but have that frustration leak out a bit.

              Personally, I get the frustration. I have a brand new niece (2 months old) a 7 yr old niece and a 2 1/2 year old nephew that we haven't been able to see for almost a year (well, obviously not the new girl) because this stupid thing is STILL going on. Those kids are are huge in our life, but to keep them safe, we've sacrificed. I'd prefer to stop sacrificing at some point. Vaccinations and mask will help.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Alex.C View Post

                I know people are hesitant, and some are resistant, but this isn't true anymore. Pfizer is fully approved for use in the US.
                I never questioned my tetanus shot and that's far less likely to be an issue in my life (unless I start playing with rusty nails agin) than a GLOBAL PANDEMIC that has killed 650,000 Americans and 4.55 million people worldwide. Just imagine wiping out nearly all of Chicago, Cleveland & St. Louis because you didn't feel like wearing a sock over your face.

                As a society, we decided smoking indoors was way too dangerous to allow in public spaces. Everyone got behind it, giving up their vaunted "rights" and as a result, smoking is less of a killer than it was in previous decades. I fail to see why the society we live in has become so much less willing to protective public interest. I imagine that Joe is frustrated with the lack of vaccination and masking, and can't help but have that frustration leak out a bit.

                Personally, I get the frustration. I have a brand new niece (2 months old) a 7 yr old niece and a 2 1/2 year old nephew that we haven't been able to see for almost a year (well, obviously not the new girl) because this stupid thing is STILL going on. Those kids are are huge in our life, but to keep them safe, we've sacrificed. I'd prefer to stop sacrificing at some point. Vaccinations and mask will help.
                You quoted me from a comment that I made in May, before FDA approval.

                Regardless, while I can debate whether everyone should be vaccinate, how to keep people safe, etc, all day long, let's not do that here in this discussion topic. The OP was responding to a style authors choice to soapbox about "being safe" and then about people not being vaccinated. My latest response was to that same author using their pulpit to provide misinformation about Ivermectin in the article OP was referencing. I really don't want to hijack the thread with vax debates (unless OP takes it that direction). Happy to do it elsewhere if you want to start a new topic but would just prefer to not derail this one.
                Last edited by JohnR; September 17, 2021, 07:07 PM.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by JohnR View Post

                  You quoted me from a comment that I made in May, before FDA approval.

                  Regardless, while I can debate whether everyone should be vaccinate, how to keep people safe, etc, all day long, let's not do that here in this discussion topic. The OP was responding to a style authors choice to soapbox about "being safe" and then about people not being vaccinated. My latest response was to that same author using their pulpit to provide misinformation about Ivermectin in the article OP was referencing. I really don't want to hijack the thread with vax debates (unless OP takes it that direction). Happy to do it elsewhere if you want to start a new topic but would just prefer to not derail this one.
                  Shoot, my bad. I didn't even notice the dates. I'm probably just salty because I haven't seen my niece and nephew in over a year because of this stupid pandemic and their parents being (understandably, especially given the increase in childhood hospitalizations) VERY conservative about seeing people outside of their home. Didn't meant to throw gasoline on the fire. Take care my dude!

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X