Cutting your own hair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting your own hair

Before the pandemic, I tried a few times to cut my own hair. I have it up when I found a barber I liked at a national chain where I could get $17 haircuts, which I figured if it was less expensive than other places in my area, I could afford to get them more frequently. Now, with places closing and opening and closing, I've gone back to cutting my own hair again. I just have a Wahl clipper kit I got at a big box store.

Anyone have tips? Tricks? Solutions? Favorite easy haircuts to give?

Since the pandemic kicked in the wife has been cutting my hair. I invested in a quality pair of clippers and so far she's been doing a great job. Does it take longer than a regular haircut? Yes. Do I need to shower after because there is hair everywhere? Yes. But as time goes on, she is getting better and better. One day, I'm sure I won't need the shower.

Do you have a partner you can ask to help cut your hair?

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
      Since the pandemic kicked in the wife has been cutting my hair. I invested in a quality pair of clippers and so far she's been doing a great job. Does it take longer than a regular haircut? Yes. Do I need to shower after because there is hair everywhere? Yes. But as time goes on, she is getting better and better. One day, I'm sure I won't need the shower.

Do you have a partner you can ask to help cut your hair?
      She doesn't trust herself to cut my hair, but she trusts me to trim hers. Maybe I missed my calling!

Comment

I finally did cut my own hair on New Year's Day...I hadn't had a haircut since February and went through several stages of longer hair, many of which I liked. It started with a neat cut appropriate for business, grew out to Robert Redford in the '70s (I liked it that length) then I went through phases where I liked it that length, then thought it looked like crap, and then liked it again, until eventually it grew to Keanu Reeves as John Wick territory, which was the end of the line for me. It wasn't yet long enough that I could pull it back into a ponytail - the front wasn't long enough yet, so it just kept falling in my eyes all the time and that was the length where I started to really feel like it didn't look that good and wasn't going to look better longer.

Anyway, I got out my Wahl clippers and started shaving with the longest guard on them...I should have trimmed off a lot of length with scissors first as I had to go over and over my head for what seemed like forever before I got all the long strands down to a uniform length. I thought it would cut everything down with one pass, but that's definitely not how it works if your hair is long enough unless you have the industrial clippers they use in barber shops. But eventually I got it all down to a uniform length. Then I did the sides and back with a guard a couple notches shorter than the longest so the top was somewhat longer than the sides and back. Then I had my wife touch it up some. It looks OK...not anywhere near as good as the person who was cutting my hair in the before times could do it but you know, I've had pros give me worse haircuts than the one I did myself too.
        “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by andrewrg View Post

She doesn't trust herself to cut my hair, but she trusts me to trim hers. Maybe I missed my calling!
          It's never too late to change your life, andrewg, hah!
          Great thing my wife cuts everybody's hair. She does great but well, even after a long practice (plus lockdown's) she's way too careful so it takes a lot of time - to get it just right. Still results are really nice.

Before this, I had to cut my own hair. As Mark said, Wahl clippers with all the guards. Watch a couple YouTube videos. Ask your partner to assist you - the neck is the trickiest part from my experience.

Comment

I've been cutting my own hair for a few years now with a great set of Wahl clippers I bought from a local beauty supply store. I like a simple buzz with #2 on the sides and back, #3 on the crown and #4 on top. Takes about 10 minutes and I do it every other week or so. Liberating.

Comment

I do a #1 guard all over, and I've yet to figure out how to do a cut with two different lengths. I just sort of gave up and take my #1, which I feel looks pretty neat and tidy. I find it goes faster if I cut it more often. Like, I've been known to wait 6 weeks to cut it, and it takes a while to get through the cut. But if I go 2-3 weeks I'm done in 10 mins, which is less time than it would take for me to drive to the barber, much less wait in line and actually get the hair cut.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewrg View Post

Haha, I get it...I just started cutting my boyfriend's hair and I get anxious when cutting it sometimes..lmao...I don't want to go overboard so I'm always extra careful. Practice makes perfect I guess

Comment

Working...
                X