Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yoyorobbo
    replied
    Thanks to a super friendly shop owner (really cool guy to talk booze with too), I sampled some Jefferson Reserve and some Bulleit 10 year bourbon (I really like Bulleit's regular bourbon and their rye - in fact bought a bottle of both of those in this particular visit).

The Bulleit 10 was nice, but in agreeance with the owner, probably not worth the extra $ (see?, I said he was cool).

The Jefferson, however, was amazing! At $55 a bottle I had to pass... for *now*. But man, that was some tasty hooch! You guys ever try it?

Leave a comment:

• Brent k
    replied
    Anyone try Evan Williams 2004 single barrel vintage? Just picked up a bottle bottled 11/13 aged 9years. Read reviews it was sweet but I love makers so I'm guessing I'll enjoy it.

Still drinking my Four Roses single barrel. Damn this stuff is harsh when uncut.

Leave a comment:

• tdig
    replied
    Originally posted by mister_deez View Post
    Planning an anniversary trip to Lexington KY with the Buffalo Trace distillery as one of our stops (along with Mammoth Cave and the horse park for her). Pretty stoked and i've been hinting for her to get me one of the BTAC bottles for my present.
    Make sure you book the Hard Hat Tour.

Leave a comment:

• mister_deez
    replied
    Planning an anniversary trip to Lexington KY with the Buffalo Trace distillery as one of our stops (along with Mammoth Cave and the horse park for her). Pretty stoked and i've been hinting for her to get me one of the BTAC bottles for my present.

Leave a comment:

• Shomas
    replied
    Good to know. My only experience with Black Dirt is their apple brandy (which was very good).

Leave a comment:

• BigBayesian
    replied
    threadbombing (in that there's not even a small chance I'm going to read through 16 pages of posts about bourbon), but a shout-out to black dirt bourbon from here in the Hudson Valley. This past fall, all the local restaurants (we're in a "money desert" compared to anything else in any direction, but we have the best cooking school in the country (debatable, but easily top 2-3), so we have crazy-good restaurants for an area whose local economy seems to be dominated by higher education and whatever happens 10 years after IBM leaves) were doing Manhattans (and many were as good as the ones I had in serious restaurants on the namesake island). The best ones were done with Black Dirt bourbon. Serious quality, reasonably priced, tough to find (elsewhere).

Leave a comment:

• tdig
    replied
    Had the chance to swing by A. Smith Bowman Distillery yesterday on my way down to Richmond for work. Was able to snap some pics and thought Id share:

http://imgur.com/a/YyRFW

Leave a comment:

• emynd
    replied
    Man, found a bottle of Willet Rye and two bottles of the BTAC TH 18 year on the way home today. Needless to say, twas a good day!

Leave a comment:

• Brent k
    replied
    Holy hangover. Drank almost half a bottle of Buffalo Trace last night. Straight with stones and I ended up making one sour. Never has my head pounded this badly. I do like it for a cheap bottle. I do not have the best sense of taste or smell. Decent alcohol burn.

Leave a comment:

• BB
    replied
    Elmer T Lee is a great bourbon and one of the best values I've seen. It's got a cinnamon kick to it. Poor Elmer died last year, by the way. RIP.

Leave a comment:

• emynd
    replied
    Not that I mind the scotch discussion here, but there is a scotch thread as well:
    http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...-Scotch-Thread

Back to Bourbon: just scooped up a bottle of Elmer T Lee last week and it's delicious. Would've picked up two if I would've known it was so good. Seems like ETL is going the way of Old Weller Antique in that it's pretty dang hard to get out here in NJ/Philly. Pretty annoying, frankly. I also had some of the Willet's Rye at a restaurant in Philly the other day. I need to find a bottle of it ASAP.

-e

Leave a comment:

• MikeAD91
    replied
    Originally posted by pratyk View Post
    If you like a hint of smoke but a nice and balanced dram, check out Oban 14/18. One of my favorite single malts. Macallan is generally a bit more delicate in terms of the flavor profile.

Ralfy has some great video reviews on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ralfystuff
    Ralfy is great.

Leave a comment:

• Jamie
    replied
    If you like a hint of smoke but a nice and balanced dram, check out Oban 14/18. One of my favorite single malts. Macallan is generally a bit more delicate in terms of the flavor profile.
    Yes!! I have been a huge fan of Oban for years - since I first tried it in 2003, in fact. The price has risen a bit since then, but still a great option. Macallan is very drinkable, and a bit more accessible, at least at my local store.

Leave a comment:

• pratyk
    replied

Ralfy has some great video reviews on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ralfystuff

Leave a comment:

• Brent k
    replied
    Frankly, it depends on your taste. Any particular scotch that you like? Usually, to people who want to get into single malts, I suggest Highland Park; it's is a very good introduction to the world of single malts.
    Not a big fan of peaty scotch. I do like a smokey taste. I was told highland park as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X