Official Bourbon/Rye Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official Bourbon/Rye Thread

A place to discuss the greatest drink on earth!

Whats everyone's favorites???

Under $20 bottle: WL Weller 12
    Favorite Mid Range Bottle: Four Roses Single Barrel
    Favorite 15 year or under: Pappy 15
    Favorite over 15 years: George Stagg
    Yearly/Special Edition Bottle: Four Roses Single Barrel and Small Batch Limited Editions
    Rye Whiskey under $30: Rittenhouse BIB
    Rye Whiskey over $30: Rendezvous Rye
    Standard Offering Low Proof Bourbon (80-95proof): Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage
    Standard Offering High Proof Bourbon (95proof +): Old Weller Antique
    Craft American Whiskey: Lions Pride 47th Ward
    Whiskey Cocktail: Currently a Whiskey Sour
    Last edited by tdig; March 8, 2013, 08:21 AM.
    My cocktail videos >

You can't go wrong with Bulleit for the cheaper stuff.

My standby cheapish scotch is Talisker 10. Actually, I think I'll have some right now.

Comment

Not as well versed as you in bourbon (more of a scotch guy) but here are some favorites. Will definitely try the four roses as I seem to be just about out of bourbon

Under $20 bottle: Evan Williams is a damn good mass produced cheap bottle
      Favorite Mid Range Bottle: Knob Creek/Makers
      Rye Whiskey: Bulleit Rye
      Bourbon Cocktail: I'm a total old fashioned snob
      Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

Rye: Whistle Pig

Comment

+1 on the Rittenhouse and the Four Roses.

I'm partial to Woodford Reserve, as well.

Comment

Four Roses is my go-to mixing bourbon. This weekend I made (and quite enjoyed) a drink called a Scarecrow. It's a twist on a Manhattan, a recipe I saw in a magazine while I waiting to get my hair cut:

2 oz bourbon
            1/2 oz Gran Clasico
            1/2 oz Sweet Vermouth. The recipe I read recommended Cocchi Vermouth de Torino, which I used and liked, but any brand would work, I think.
            A few dashes of bitters. Spicy rather than fruity is probably the way to go here. I used Bitter Truth Creole Bitters.

Pour all the ingredients over ice, stir and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a maraschino cherry.

The Gran Clasico really adds a lot of flavor and the vermouth and the bourbon keep the bitterness in check. Very nice. Don't drink too many - it's pretty boozy.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
              This weekend I made (and quite enjoyed) a drink called a Scarecrow. It's a twist on a Manhattan, a recipe I saw in a magazine while I waiting to get my hair cut:
              I say this without any sarcasm, that's real effing manly... And I'm definitely picking up some Four Roses on my way home.

Comment

Originally posted by tomservo View Post
                I say this without any sarcasm, that's real effing manly... And I'm definitely picking up some Four Roses on my way home.
                if you plan to mix then pick up the small batch.
                My cocktail videos >

Comment

Originally posted by tomservo View Post
                  Ha! Right? I thought so too. I should point out that this barbershop also serves beer while you wait, so I had that in hand as well. But then my barber and I had an extended discussion about hair products and a lot of those manliness points kinda went out the window...

Comment

I'm a big fan of Blanton's and Knob Creek

Comment

No love for "Buffalo Trace?" The new small-batch line they have is great too.
                      "Bookers" is always a great sipping bourbon too (though a bit pricey).
                      I also just bought a bottle of the "Old Forrester" Signature line & it's been pretty good too (plus 100% proof bourbon is no joke).
                      The Makers Mark "46" was surprising good when I had a bottle of that stuff. It was fairly low-cost when it came out, but it's been a while since I bought any.
                      ...I miss living in KY sometimes...

If you like Manhattans, try a "Brooklyn."

Not bourbon related, but I recently picked up a bottle of "Johnson Junior Moonshine" in blueberry & it's awesome.

Comment

Classic Buffalo Trace is a great buy and one of my go to mixing bourbons. I just picked up this years Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon and am really excited to try it. The reviews on it are amazing. Wasn't a fan of Makers 46 when I tried it but I'm not too fond of the original Makers either.
                        My cocktail videos >

Comment

With Thanksgiving coming up how about some bourbon soaked desserts! http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysande...ull-of-bourbon

Comment

Originally posted by Cause Moe View Post
                            Rye: Whistle Pig
                            This is one of the best ryes (and possibly one of the best whiskeys) I've had in a long time.

Comment

Picked up a bottle of Van Winkle 12 year this afternoon.

Local liquor store got in 20, 15, 13 rye, 12, and 10 at noon. Within 10 minutes the 20 was gone, not long after the 15 and 13 rye were gone. By the time i got there at 2pm they had 1 bottle of 12 and 1 bottle of 10 left. This stuff is way too hard to find!

Comment

Working...
                              X