Official Bourbon/Rye Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alanm View Post
    I buddy of mine and I did a blind test with 4 bourbon/ryes last weekend and we favored W.L. Weller 12 year (per recommendation on Alton Browncast) and Buffalo Trace. Woodford was last for both of us, and Knob Creek was 3/4.
    I like blind taste tests. They can really show you what might be legit and what might be mostly hype.

I love Buffalo Trace. Heard about it here (well, the main site), before anywhere else, and tried it based on that recommendation. So worth it! I do like Woodford and Knob too, but I'm not sure they're worth the extra dough. Woodford seems to have a bit more *rye* to it, which I like, but still for the money, BT is a great bourbon.

And now I'll have to try to find this Weller 12. How pricey is it, typically?

Comment

Weller 12 is typically between $18-25. Easily one of the best deals in whiskey. Unfortunately it isnt widely available anymore. I buy up a few bottles when it shows up near me. Some places online have it.
      My cocktail videos >

Comment

Originally posted by DGHayes View Post
        Anyone tried the Breaking and Entering Bourbon? It's from a distillery out in San Francisco. Solid stuff and not too price although only been able to find it in the massive liquor stores here in TX.
        I haven't tried it, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear that the St. George guys put out a tasty bourbon. Their gins and their absinthe are great, which shows that they have great taste. I'd trust them to blend up a decent tasting whisky. I'd like to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by tdig View Post
          I love WL Weller 12. I do a blend of Weller 12 and Weller Antique 107 (40/60) that is fantastic if you let it sit for 2 or so weeks.
          What's with letting it sit? Does it actually take that long for the flavors to marry or are you putting it in a vessel that imparts flavor?

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
            What's with letting it sit? Does it actually take that long for the flavors to marry or are you putting it in a vessel that imparts flavor?
            It actually takes that long. Ive tried it right away and while its still good its noticeably better after two weeks. Found that to be the sweet spot after several experimentations.
            My cocktail videos >

Comment

I haven't tried it, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear that the St. George guys put out a tasty bourbon. Their gins and their absinthe are great, which shows that they have great taste. I'd trust them to blend up a decent tasting whisky. I'd like to try it.
              The B&E bourbon is sourced and bottled by St.George. It's decent but not on par with their gins and absinthe. Speaking of I have been really wanting to get my hands on their new Rye Gin!
              My cocktail videos >

Comment

The B&E bourbon is sourced and bottled by St.George. It's decent but not on par with their gins and absinthe. Speaking of I have been really wanting to get my hands on their new Rye Gin!
                I've tried the Dry Rye Gin, which is very good, although I prefer their Botanivore. I have not tried the Dry Rye Reposado, which is intriguing, but I think could also be one of those terrifying hybrids that winds up giving you the bad from everything and the good from nothing.

Comment

I've tried the Dry Rye Gin, which is very good, although I prefer their Botanivore. I have not tried the Dry Rye Reposado, which is intriguing, but I think could also be one of those terrifying hybrids that winds up giving you the bad from everything and the good from nothing.
                  Yea I was referring to the Reposado. It's really really intriguing but not willing to shell out for a full bottle. Ive heard nothing but good things though.
                  My cocktail videos >

Comment

Yea I was referring to the Reposado. It's really really intriguing but not willing to shell out for a full bottle. Ive heard nothing but good things though.
                    I've tried something similar and I was not a fan. I can't remember the name of it right now, but Ill check when I get home - there is, uncharacteristically, some left.

Comment

I've tried something similar and I was not a fan. I can't remember the name of it right now, but Ill check when I get home - there is, uncharacteristically, some left.
                      It's Old Tom Ransom. "Barrel aged for 3-6 months" and kinda gnarly. I'm sure there's an application for which it would be just the thing, but as a general matter I'm not a fan. It's got a malty, almost vermouth-ish aspect to it that's hard to deal with.

Comment

Hudson Rye tonight

Comment

Blanton's Single Barrel with an H.Upman Vintage Cameroon.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
                            Hudson Rye tonight
                            How is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
                              Hudson Rye tonight
                              Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
                              How is it?
                              Yeah Fred, what's your take? I've thought about picking up a bottle recently, but it's a touch pricey for my present palette... Err, *wallet*.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                                Yeah Fred, what's your take? I've thought about picking up a bottle recently, but it's a touch pricey for my present palette... Err, *wallet*.
                                I haven't had the rye, but their bourbon is tasty. I don't know that it's worth the price (I just ordered a glass at a local bar), but it's quite delicious.

Comment

Working...
                                X