Official Bourbon/Rye Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
    Ah.. did you have multiple bottles of booze for that price tag you mentioned to me or just this one? :P

That sounds incredibly delicious.
    A few others as well but this was the most exciting
    My cocktail videos >

Comment

Still loving this thread. I'm more of a low-end guy but i've found some great drinks thanks to you guys. So far I've tried:
      W.L. Weller Special Reserve (This and Buffalo Trace are now my top cheap bourbons)
      Rittenhouse Rye (Good)
      Four Roses Single Barrel (My roomate hasn't touched this after the infamous shots, so I've started sipping on it, love it)
      Larceny (OK)
      Old Grand-Dad Bottled in Bond (Not sure if I like this one yet)
      Picked up a bottle of Lexington today, pretty good neat.

Comment

Originally posted by mister_deez View Post
        Still loving this thread. I'm more of a low-end guy but i've found some great drinks thanks to you guys. So far I've tried:
        W.L. Weller Special Reserve (This and Buffalo Trace are now my top cheap bourbons)
        Rittenhouse Rye (Good)
        Four Roses Single Barrel (My roomate hasn't touched this after the infamous shots, so I've started sipping on it, love it)
        Larceny (OK)
        Old Grand-Dad Bottled in Bond (Not sure if I like this one yet)
        Picked up a bottle of Lexington today, pretty good neat.
        +1 on those 2. Try Weller 107 if you can. It has a red cap rather than green. Drinks closer to a knob creek or bookers (with regards for bite)

Comment

Currently working through a bottle of Woodford Reserve - nice touch of a rye spice to it, as opposed to more sweeter bourbons - or so it seems. That said, I think I'll go back to Buffalo Trace after this bottle. Tough, IMO, to beat BT for the price point.

On the Rye side, so far my tastes have fallen deep under the Sazerac spell.

I'm sure I've mentioned these before, but since the thread popped back up on my radar, well.. there it is.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
            Currently working through a bottle of Woodford Reserve - nice touch of a rye spice to it, as opposed to more sweeter bourbons - or so it seems. That said, I think I'll go back to Buffalo Trace after this bottle. Tough, IMO, to beat BT for the price point.

On the Rye side, so far my tastes have fallen deep under the Sazerac spell.

I'm sure I've mentioned these before, but since the thread popped back up on my radar, well.. there it is.
            I like Woodford Reserve a lot too. If you're ever near their distillery in Kentucky, go and take the tour. It is one of the greatest places on earth.

Comment

Been a good fall so far...still got another pappy 15, pappy 20, and stagg on the way. got friends holding them for now.

My cocktail videos >

Comment

Jeez man. Every now and then I worry that I drink too much beer. Then I see pics like this and feel better :P
                "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
                  Jeez man. Every now and then I worry that I drink too much beer. Then I see pics like this and feel better :P
                  whiskey was medicinal for so long i consider it a healthy habit...
                  My cocktail videos >

Comment

Killed a bottle of Bulleit 10 Year Barrel Aged; first time I'd seen they had a 10 year. Was really surprised with how good it was and it's pretty affordable. Nice smooth taste; like bullet without as much bite. Recommend it as a solid and drinkable Bourbon.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekH View Post
                      Killed a bottle of Bulleit 10 Year Barrel Aged; first time I'd seen they had a 10 year. Was really surprised with how good it was and it's pretty affordable. Nice smooth taste; like bullet without as much bite. Recommend it as a solid and drinkable Bourbon.
                      Havent had really anything yet from Four Roses that I didnt like. (yes the Bulleit and Bulleit 10 are from Four Roses)
                      My cocktail videos >

Comment

As long as we're bragging here, I had the distinct pleasure of trying Pappy 23 year on a bachelor party and it changed my life. I probably won't be forking over $300+ for a bottle any time soon though (even if I could find one).

I buddy of mine and I did a blind test with 4 bourbon/ryes last weekend and we favored W.L. Weller 12 year (per recommendation on Alton Browncast) and Buffalo Trace. Woodford was last for both of us, and Knob Creek was 3/4.

Comment

Originally posted by alanm View Post
                          As long as we're bragging here, I had the distinct pleasure of trying Pappy 23 year on a bachelor party and it changed my life. I probably won't be forking over $300+ for a bottle any time soon though (even if I could find one).

I buddy of mine and I did a blind test with 4 bourbon/ryes last weekend and we favored W.L. Weller 12 year (per recommendation on Alton Browncast) and Buffalo Trace. Woodford was last for both of us, and Knob Creek was 3/4.
                          I love WL Weller 12. I do a blend of Weller 12 and Weller Antique 107 (40/60) that is fantastic if you let it sit for 2 or so weeks.
                          My cocktail videos >

Comment

Anyone tried the Breaking and Entering Bourbon? It's from a distillery out in San Francisco. Solid stuff and not too price although only been able to find it in the massive liquor stores here in TX.

Comment

Originally posted by tdig View Post
                              I love WL Weller 12. I do a blend of Weller 12 and Weller Antique 107 (40/60) that is fantastic if you let it sit for 2 or so weeks.
                              Sounds interesting...might have to give that a try!

Comment

Originally posted by tdig View Post
                                (yes the Bulleit and Bulleit 10 are from Four Roses)
                                Did not know that. Then again, there are many brands/sub-brands that are shared which I don't know about. Seem to hear a new one all the time. Good to know.

Comment

Working...
                                X