Official Bourbon/Rye Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tdig View Post
    yoyo are you talking about Saz 18 or Saz 6 year? Rittenhouse > Saz 6 year anyway! Someone else mentioned Templeton which I just can't seem to like as much as others. Too low proof for my preferences.
    The basic (I guess 6 yr) one. This isn't my first bottle of Rittenhouse - I *do* like it too - but I think I preferred the Sazerac over it. I haven't had them at the same time, to be able to A/B them, but seemed like I liked the Sazerac a little more.

I also want to try Old Overholt (right?), but can't seem to find it locally. Ever try it? If so, how would you compare it to Saz and/or Ritt?

Might try some Knob Creek Rye next. Seems like it should rock. I like their bourbon, so imagining their rye is pretty damn good too. Ever try that?

Comment

Oh man, I didn't realize there was a Bourbon thread. I'll share my favorite inexpensive bottle in the spirit of dappered.

I get this for around $30 a bottle. I was really on the fence because, well, Evan Williams. Not exactly the most exciting brand of bourbon. But after I tried it, I put it up there with some of the $50+ bottles I've had, easily. I find it vastly superior to the other standard brands in this tier (Makers, Bulleit). Also: If you can find a 2002 bottle, it's a lot better than the 2003 batch IMO.

Comment

Oh damn, this one is under $20 at my store.. might have to check it out.
        "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I've heard Evan Williams recommended a few times, but never quite sure which particular offering to try. Thanks for the pic. I'll use it to scan the shelves at the local shops.

Comment

Evan Williams Black is my go to cheap bourbon. It's prefect for mixing in stuff like sours and smashes where the nuances of higher quality bourbon would be lost.

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
              Oh damn, this one is under $20 at my store.. might have to check it out.
              Dude. Definitely do it for under $20!!

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
              Evan Williams Black is my go to cheap bourbon. It's prefect for mixing in stuff like sours and smashes where the nuances of higher quality bourbon would be lost.
              I do the Single Barrel neat and find it holds up well for day-to-day drinkability. I'd spend the few bucks more to get it over the Black, myself.

To upsell you guys even more, here's a snippet from a writeup that first sold me on it:

Evan William’s Single Barrel is a similar story but refined and slightly more exclusive. Made at Heaven Hill, this is a 10 year old single barrel project, which true believers will remember means, “not blended with any other barrel.” All of the contents of each barrel are individually labeled and bottled. Moreover, each barrel is hand selected by Heaven Hill’s master distillers and imbibers Parker & Craig Beam. Did you know that everyone in Kentucky is a close-knit family? It is one of the many reasons those people are so nice to each other. Every year Evan William’s Single Barrel is different and every year you get more than your money’s worth for $30.
              Last edited by DerekH; April 18, 2013, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAD91 View Post
                We have a constantly improving massive liquor store here, that is slowly getting some out of region stuff, but NY is always going to be NY, so it'll take a long time before we have a great selection of stuff being distilled here.

That said, I spend a lot of time in Chicago, and get to try a lot of great whiskeys, most of which aren't sold here. Templeton Rye is a recent one that I will have to seriously consider buying in bulk and having shipped to me.
                I live in Omaha and they just started getting Templeton from over the river in Iowa about 5 years ago. Really good Rye that is relatively inexpensive. Can't go wrong with Al Capone's favorite drink...haha

Comment

Evan Williams Single Barrel is mostly awesome. If you can find a store that selected their own barrel its typically even better. It can vary by barrel since it is a single barrel offering. The 2003 is really nice. The older expressions were stronger imo than the recent but its still a fantastic pour.

Old Overholt is meh. Decent for a mixing rye but I prefer Pikesville which is cheaper and just as good for cocktails if not a little better. Nothing bad about Old Overholt but nothing great either. I'd skip the Knob Creek too. Decent but overpriced comparably. My favorite affordable ryes (under $35) are Willett (3, 4, or 5 year), Rittenhouse, HW Double Rye, Bulleit Rye, Russel Reserve Rye, Wild Turkey 101 Rye (not the new 81), Saz 6, Pikesville, and Catocin Creek. Favorite pricey ryes are Rendezvous, VWFRR, Handy, and Saz18.
                  My cocktail videos >

Comment

Just picked up a bottle of Larceny ($10 rebate on 750ml and $20 rebate on 1.75L!) and Rittenhouse Rye as a gift for a friend. Saw alot of other bottles mentioned on this thread for around $20. Next on my list is the WL Weller 12-yr that some of you recommended (also the Pappy Van Winkle guy mentioned it as his favorite alternative in GQ).
                    Last edited by mister_deez; April 26, 2013, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Celebrating an achievement with this tonight...

Comment

My friend brought that McKenzie over last night to celebrate, and I didn't pay anything for it so I certainly enjoyed it. Seemed very woody to me, which I don't mind, but it was fairly complex. It's no Rendevous Rye, to be sure. He also brought over some Redbreast 12-year cask strength Irish Whiskey. I'm not a really into Irish whiskey, but I've had my share. I thought this was a really good one -- not quite as smooth as Middleton's, for example, but it's very nice.

Comment

Redbreast cask strength is awesome stuff. Some of the best Irish that ive ever had. That McKenzie is finished in some sort of flavored barrel right? I've heard mixed reviews on it.
                          My cocktail videos >

Comment

Tdig, you're tasting too many whiskeys. A couple months ago, you said you didn't like the McKenzie. Lose your notes? :-)

It's finished in a sherry barrel.

Comment

good looking out mike. cant keep count any more. i do have a binder at home where i keep notes but honestly cant remember at this point when/where i might have tried the mckenzie. i do know the parkers cognac is one of the only finished bourbons that ive truly loved.
                              My cocktail videos >

Comment

Trying so many you can't keep track is a good problem to have.

Personally, some of my favorite scotches are the sherry cask ones, but haven't gotten too into it with the American whiskeys.

Comment

Working...
                                X