No announcement yet.

Official Bourbon/Rye Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went a little overboard this past year trying to build up my cabinet and am now cutoff from buying new bottles for a while. Here's what my stock is looking like right now:

-Four Roses OBSF 10 Year, Binnys (open)
    -Four Roses OBSK 14 Year, Jim Rutledge Selected (Gift Shop Private Edition) (open)
    -Four Roses Limited Edition Single Barrel 2012
    -Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch 2012
    -Old Rip Van Winkle 10y/90p (open)
    -Pappy Van Winkle 15 year (1 bottle open, 3 unopened)
    -Pappy Van Winkle 20 year
    -Vintage 17 year, wheated version
    -Smooth Ambler Very Old Scout 14 year (open)
    -George T Stagg 2012
    -William Larue Weller 2012
    -Old Medley 12 year
    -WL Weller 12 year x2 (1 open)
    -Weller Antique 107
    -Bulleit 10 year
    -Evan Williams Single Barrel 2002 Vintage (open)
    -Woodford Reserve (open)
    -Bowman Brothers Small Batch

-Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye
    -Thomas H Handy Rye 2012
    -High West Rendezvous Rye x2 (1 open)
    -Rittenhouse Rye x2 (1 open)
    -Pikesville Rye x2 (1 open, 1 in my barrel)
    -Willett Rye 5 year (open)

-Signatory Longmorn 19 year
    -Battlehill Jura 18 year
    -Glenlivet 12 year
    -Glenmorangie Nectar D'0r
    -Aberlour A'Bunadh
    Last edited by tdig; March 11, 2013, 12:17 PM.
    My cocktail videos >

Comment

Originally posted by tdig View Post
      from the scotch thread:

Be careful calling Whistlepig a Rye! I'm stubborn when it comes to labeling American spirits. Whistlepig is purchased and imported from a Canadian distillery (Alberta Distillers) and bottled in the US. Many say its the colder climate that gives it a more restrained taste. Doesn't make it any less tasty, I just don't necessarily consider it an American Rye. I never like when companies try to trick consumers through marketing. The whisky itself is quite good although for its price I personally prefer Rendezvous Rye, Willett Rye, and even Rittenhouse but I tend to gravitate towards bigger bolder profile whiskeys. If you like Whistlepig you should try Lot 40 if you can find it. It's basically a more aggressive version of Whistlepig and its damn good.
      100% Rye, regardless of starting in Canada. I like your dedication to American whiskeys, though! I'm almost through a bottle of Rendezvous myself, great stuff.

Comment

tdig, that is an amazing collection.

To the bourbon thread, how do you all prefer to drink it? Neat? Splash of water? Mixed into a drink? For me it's almost always in a regular tumbler glass with a giant square ice cube. As the ice slowly melts you get a subtle change of flavor. Might not be the purest way to drink bourbon, but man is it enjoyable.

Comment

Went a little overboard this past year trying to build up my cabinet and am now cutoff from buying new bottles for a while. Here's what my stock is looking like right now:

-Four Roses OBSF 10 Year, Binnys (open)
          -Four Roses OBSK 14 Year, Jim Rutledge Selected (Gift Shop Private Edition) (open)
          -Four Roses Limited Edition Single Barrel 2012
          -Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch 2012
          -Old Rip Van Winkle 10y/90p (open)
          -Pappy Van Winkle 15 year (1 bottle open, 3 unopened)
          -Pappy Van Winkle 20 year
          -Vintage 17 year, wheated version
          -Smooth Ambler Very Old Scout 14 year (open)
          -George T Stagg 2012
          -William Larue Weller 2012
          -Old Medley 12 year
          -WL Weller 12 year x2 (1 open)
          -Weller Antique 107
          -Bulleit 10 year
          -Evan Williams Single Barrel 2002 Vintage (open)
          -Woodford Reserve (open)
          -Bowman Brothers Small Batch

-Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye
          -Thomas H Handy Rye 2012
          -High West Rendezvous Rye x2 (1 open)
          -Rittenhouse Rye x2 (1 open)
          -Pikesville Rye x2 (1 open, 1 in my barrel)
          -Willett Rye 5 year (open)

-Signatory Longmorn 19 year
          -Battlehill Jura 18 year
          -Glenlivet 12 year
          -Glenmorangie Nectar D'0r
          -Aberlour A'Bunadh
          Tdig, I am dubbing you the resident bourbon expert. 3 questions:

Favorite on that list? Bourbon or rye acceptable
          Favorite under $50?
          Opinion of Bulleit bourbon and rye (I prefer their rye)?
          "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
            Tdig, I am dubbing you the resident bourbon expert. 3 questions:

Favorite on that list? Bourbon or rye acceptable
            Favorite under $50?
            Opinion of Bulleit bourbon and rye (I prefer their rye)?
            I haven't tried everything I own yet unfortunately. Of the ones that I have tried my top 3 would be:

1. Four Roses Small Batch 2012 Limited Edition
            2. Pappy 15 year
            3. Four Roses OBSK 14 year

The ones I have not opened yet that I think could give a run at those 3 would be the Vintage 17, VWFRR, William Larue Weller, and Stagg.

Favorite 3 under $50 on that list would be:

1. Willett 5 year Rye
            2. WL Weller 12 year
            3. Rittenhouse Rye (based on its value/versatility)

(*caveat - Rendezvous is typically in the $60 range but is currently on sale at Merwins for $35. If that counts then I'd move it to #1 on my list under $50)

Other favorite bottles under $50 that I don't currently own but usually keep in rotation include:
            -Four Roses Small Batch
            -OGD 114
            -The Party Source Smooth Ambler Old Scout 7 Year Cask Strength

Really there's too many under $50 that are worthwhile which is part of why I love bourbon/rye so much. There are so many good affordable options that offer a wide range of options for different palates.

I like Bulleit bourbon and rye quite a bit actually and where I live it is cheap ($20). It's one of the bourbons that got me loving bourbon. Both the bourbon and rye make great cocktails too, especially the rye. The bourbon is made by Four Roses and the Rye comes from LDI (most ryes come from LDI). If you can't get Rittenhouse then Bulleit Rye is a great alternative but if I can get my hands on either then I'm definitely choosing Rittenhouse. I wish the Rittenhouse bottle looked as cool as the Bulleits though.
            Last edited by tdig; March 11, 2013, 03:24 PM.
            My cocktail videos >

Comment

Originally posted by mister_deez View Post
              tdig, that is an amazing collection.

To the bourbon thread, how do you all prefer to drink it? Neat? Splash of water? Mixed into a drink? For me it's almost always in a regular tumbler glass with a giant square ice cube. As the ice slowly melts you get a subtle change of flavor. Might not be the purest way to drink bourbon, but man is it enjoyable.
              I drink it all of the above. Depends on the whiskey, the setting, my mood, etc. I have a giant cube tray and I also freeze whole chunks in a cooler and hand carve spheres from time to time. My really good stuff though is always in a glenncairn glass. I'll start it neat then add a small drop or two of water to see how it opens up.
              My cocktail videos >

Comment

Great list, tdig.

Have you tried Jefferson's Presidential Select 18yr?

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
                  Great list, tdig.

Have you tried Jefferson's Presidential Select 18yr?
                  Yea a buddy and I split a bottle. Good but not great. The 17 year was actually significantly better imo. I probably just expected more from it to be honest. Very fruit forward and soft. Not much of a finish. I keep a journal of tasting notes. Here is what I wrote up for JPS18:

Color – Dark amber/ruby

Nose – Fruit forward. Soft. Blackberry, raisin, and maple syrup. Notes of oak and pine needles in the background.

Taste – Creamy vanilla initially. Buttery but not thick. Carries fruit favors from the nose but the wood is little more prevalent now. The layers compliment nicely.

Finish – Finish is almost silky. Medium length but very light.

Super easy drinking. Quite enjoyable but not overly bold or complex. What this bourbon does, it does well.

88/100
                  My cocktail videos >

Comment

Sounds like you and I had about the same response.

I'm fairly new to the world of bourbon (and fine liquor in general, really) so I'm trying to gain some perspective on where what I have tried stands in comparison to other whiskeys. I've only had these bourbons:
                    - Evan Williams (for mixed drinks)
                    - Knob Creek
                    - Maker's
                    - Booker's
                    - Jefferson's 18 (gift for a friend, which he kindly shared)
                    - Elmer T Lee
                    - Rowan's Creek
                    - Angels Envy (only an in-store tasting)

Woodford Reserve, Four Roses, Basil Hayden's, and Baker's are on my short-list to try, though Four Roses may now take the top spot based on your recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by mister_deez View Post
                      Depends on the whiskey for me. I've got a couple cask strength (110-130 proof) whiskeys that really need the water. I've had good results with 3:1 ratio (whiskey to water). I I started drinking everything on the rocks, though I've slowly transitioned to preferring most whiskey neat.

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
                        Woodford Reserve, Four Roses, Basil Hayden's, and Baker's are on my short-list to try, though Four Roses may now take the top spot based on your recommendations.
                        If you want my opinion, I'd definitely put Four Roses well above the options you have listed. I'd also discourage Bakers and there are a lot of readily available cheaper options that I'd recommend before Woodford and Basil Haydens including OGDBIB or OGD114, Buffalo Trace, Bulleit, Elijah Craig 12 year, Evan Williams Single Barrel (the 2003's are now in stores. Havent had an 03 yet but I hear its awesome), and either Weller12 or Weller Antique 107.

I'm not a fan of most of the ones you listed. Never really enjoyed Knob Creek, Makers, or Angels Envy. I like Bookers although I find it overpriced. I am however a big fan of Elmer T Lee and Rowans Creek.
                        My cocktail videos >

Comment

If you want my opinion, I'd definitely put Four Roses well above the options you have listed. I'd also discourage Bakers and there are a lot of readily available cheaper options that I'd recommend before Woodford and Basil Haydens including OGDBIB or OGD114, Buffalo Trace, Bulleit, Elijah Craig 12 year, Evan Williams Single Barrel (the 2003's are now in stores. Havent had an 03 yet but I hear its awesome), and either Weller12 or Weller Antique 107.
                          Thanks for the info!

I'm not a fan of most of the ones you listed. Never really enjoyed Knob Creek, Makers, or Angels Envy. I like Bookers although I find it overpriced. I am however a big fan of Elmer T Lee and Rowans Creek.
                          KC and Maker's make a decent cocktail, but I likely wouldn't buy them again. I've really enjoyed Booker's. I can't recall what I paid for it, but since the purchase I've seen it for around $40.

Comment

Agreed re. Four Roses. It's my "always have a bottle on hand for mixing" bourbon of choice. I like Woodford Reserve a lot, but I'm not entirely sure it's worth the price. However, I will wholeheartedly recommend taking a tour of the Woodford Reserve distillery if you happen to be near Lexington, KY. It's in some of the most incredibly beautiful country I've ever seen and it's a really cool old facility. I'm a sucker for that old Dr. Seussesque equipment and the aging warehouse smells like I wish my closet smelled.

EDIT: originally typed "Knob Creek" when I meant "Woodford Reserve." Probably too much booze...

Comment

Im looking for a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 15 year for a wedding present. Obviously it is impossible to find...anyone have any sort of lead on any?

Comment

My go-to inexpensive bourbon is Elmer T Lee. I love Rittenhouse rye, but I sure wish it hadn't doubled in price!

Comment

Working...
                                X