• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bjmcgeever
    replied
    Originally posted by Mmmk View Post
    Thanks man, great recommendation!
    Agreed. That Willett Family Estate is wonderful.

Leave a comment:

• pratyk
    replied
    Originally posted by Brent k View Post
    A bit off topic but I was thinking of getting a bottle of Highland Park 18yo or Macallan 18yo. Suggestions?
    Frankly, it depends on your taste. Any particular scotch that you like? Usually, to people who want to get into single malts, I suggest Highland Park; it's is a very good introduction to the world of single malts.

Leave a comment:

• Mmmk
    replied
    Originally posted by tdig View Post
    Willett Family Estate, 4 year or 5 year rye. 110 proof. Great rye. Nice looking bottle. EH Taylor Rye is a bit higher priced but also a good option.

Thanks man, great recommendation!

Leave a comment:

• Brent k
    replied
    A bit off topic but I was thinking of getting a bottle of Highland Park 18yo or Macallan 18yo. Suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• Brent k
    replied
    Welp made a holiday liquor store run.

Knob Creek
    Four Roses small batch
    Buffalo Trace

Gonna be a fun winter!

How do you guys like bulleit bourbon? All looked at Angel's Share kinda looked like a boutique brand but the owner of my liquor store said it was incredibly smooth but lacks some depth

Leave a comment:

• tdig
    replied
    Originally posted by Mmmk View Post
    Gents,

I've got myself involved in the first annual "Holiday Liquor Exchange" with a group of buddies. I don't drink too often, but when I do, I drink bourbon (Sorry, dos equis fans). My person requested Rye as their liquor of choice. So the question is, does anybody have a recommendation for a good, unique bottle of Rye that I can gift? There is a $40-$60 dollar spending preference. Thanks in advance for the help!
    Willett Family Estate, 4 year or 5 year rye. 110 proof. Great rye. Nice looking bottle. EH Taylor Rye is a bit higher priced but also a good option.

Leave a comment:

• Mmmk
    replied
    Gents,

I've got myself involved in the first annual "Holiday Liquor Exchange" with a group of buddies. I don't drink too often, but when I do, I drink bourbon (Sorry, dos equis fans). My person requested Rye as their liquor of choice. So the question is, does anybody have a recommendation for a good, unique bottle of Rye that I can gift? There is a $40-$60 dollar spending preference. Thanks in advance for the help!

Leave a comment:

• MikeAD91
    replied
    Originally posted by pratyk View Post
    Any thoughts on Templeton Rye?

Tried Whistle Pig the other day after hearing about all the hype. Decent stuff with some spicy vanilla/caramel notes but 60-70$ for a canadian-distilled Vermont-bottled Rye whiskey marketed as 100% usa ticks my nerve a little bit. I'd rather be sipping the newest 4 roses single barrel which has high Rye content for 45$..

Sidenote: Four Roses did a promotional "stunt" where they worked with my usual liquor/beer shop to pick 1 version out of 20-30 and label it accordingly. The one my store chose had the highest amount of rye (forget the %) and it tasted damn fine. Waiting until the last few bottles to buy it since i already have 4 open bottles of scotch/bourbon.

I like Whistlepig, but I agree about the price. I enjoyed my bottle(s?), but I tend not to keep any on hand.

Templeton, however, I always tend to have at least one bottle on hand. It's a bit milder (both in flavor and alcohol content), which works out well for the evenings I want to sit and have more than one drink but I know I have a busy morning at work.

And, since I'm posting, another somewhat local craft distillery bottled their first batch in October, and I got my hands on a bottle a couple weeks ago. Iron Smoke Whiskey, in Seneca Falls, NY. It suffered from the same decision that every craft distiller will have: release a batch that is young and expensive, or lose money for years while you wait for some to age. They released it young, and it is noticeable, although far better than MacKenzie. Still, not as good as Hudson or Quincy Street. It's tough to tell if the "Applewood Smoked" thing is a gimmick or not. It may have helped flavor it, but not in a distinctive way.

Leave a comment:

• pratyk
    replied
    OESK. I tried it and I liked it quite a bit. I have a bottle of OBSQ (2011 limited edition Single Barrel IIRC) and man that is good.

Leave a comment:

• tdig
    replied
    Originally posted by pratyk View Post

Tried Whistle Pig the other day after hearing about all the hype. Decent stuff with some spicy vanilla/caramel notes but 60-70$ for a canadian-distilled Vermont-bottled Rye whiskey marketed as 100% usa ticks my nerve a little bit. I'd rather be sipping the newest 4 roses single barrel which has high Rye content for 45$..

Sidenote: Four Roses did a promotional "stunt" where they worked with my usual liquor/beer shop to pick 1 version out of 20-30 and label it accordingly. The one my store chose had the highest amount of rye (forget the %) and it tasted damn fine. Waiting until the last few bottles to buy it since i already have 4 open bottles of scotch/bourbon.
    Have expressed my disinterest in Templeton several times on here before. Overpriced, gimmick, and watered down LDI rye.

I certainly dont hate Whistlepig but I agree with you 100% that it's overpriced. In Canada you can buy pretty much the same juice under a different label for half the cost. Four Roses is my current favorite distillery so I love hearing other folks who also enjoy their bottles.

Do you know which recipe your store bottled? I currently have bottles of OBSV, OBSK, OBSF, OESO, and OESK on hand.

Leave a comment:

• mr. mr.
    replied
    I really, really like journeyman rye. it was the first I've ever had. it sold me on rye.

Leave a comment:

• mr. mr.
    replied
    I really, really like journeyman. it was the first I've ever had. it sold me on rye.

Leave a comment:

• pratyk
    replied
    Also, I think Redemption Rye > Bulleit Rye in taste and in $

Leave a comment:

• pratyk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Fred G. Unn
    replied
    Originally posted by emynd View Post
    I stumbled across this Whiskey Tree
    Deadspin posted a similar but less comprehensive tree as a graphic a few weeks ago:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X