Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYCToon
    replied
    Maker's Mark has decided to leave the alcohol content at 45% after they received lot of backlash to their plan to drop it down to 42%. The reason they were going to make the change is that demand is outstripping supply and shortages are being found in some markets. Maker's Mark may become as hard to find as Knob Creek is in some areas due to this but since I live in NYC shartage has never been a problem. Needless to say this is great news and I can stop hoarding bottles in my closet!

Now let us hope Maker's doesn't become as scarce (and expensive) as Pappy...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...91G0EM20130217

Leave a comment:

• bjmcgeever
    replied
    Resurrecting an old thread here.

Got my best friend a bottle of Jefferson's 18yo Presidential for his birthday today. He kindly shared a glass with me and it is fantastic. A bit hot at first, but once it sits for a while it really mellows. Loads of vanilla, cinnamon, caramel, toffee, etc.

Leave a comment:

• tdig
    replied
    Originally posted by jordan View Post
    Picked up a bottle of Van Winkle 12 year this afternoon.

Local liquor store got in 20, 15, 13 rye, 12, and 10 at noon. Within 10 minutes the 20 was gone, not long after the 15 and 13 rye were gone. By the time i got there at 2pm they had 1 bottle of 12 and 1 bottle of 10 left. This stuff is way too hard to find!
    I've snagged a rye and a 15 so far this release. I have one more place that is still waiting on their shipment where Im hoping to land another rye. I have 3 15s, 2 20s, 1 rye, and 2 10s on hand right now. For 2012 releases I've also picked up Stagg, WLW, Handy, Saz18, Four Roses Single Barrel LE, Four Roses SMB LE, and the Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon.

Leave a comment:

• jordan
    replied
    Picked up a bottle of Van Winkle 12 year this afternoon.

Local liquor store got in 20, 15, 13 rye, 12, and 10 at noon. Within 10 minutes the 20 was gone, not long after the 15 and 13 rye were gone. By the time i got there at 2pm they had 1 bottle of 12 and 1 bottle of 10 left. This stuff is way too hard to find!

Leave a comment:

• MikeAD91
    replied
    Originally posted by Cause Moe View Post
    Rye: Whistle Pig
    This is one of the best ryes (and possibly one of the best whiskeys) I've had in a long time.

Leave a comment:

• tomservo
    replied
    With Thanksgiving coming up how about some bourbon soaked desserts! http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysande...ull-of-bourbon

Leave a comment:

• tdig
    replied
    Classic Buffalo Trace is a great buy and one of my go to mixing bourbons. I just picked up this years Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon and am really excited to try it. The reviews on it are amazing. Wasn't a fan of Makers 46 when I tried it but I'm not too fond of the original Makers either.

Leave a comment:

• Alex
    replied
    No love for "Buffalo Trace?" The new small-batch line they have is great too.
    "Bookers" is always a great sipping bourbon too (though a bit pricey).
    I also just bought a bottle of the "Old Forrester" Signature line & it's been pretty good too (plus 100% proof bourbon is no joke).
    The Makers Mark "46" was surprising good when I had a bottle of that stuff. It was fairly low-cost when it came out, but it's been a while since I bought any.
    ...I miss living in KY sometimes...

If you like Manhattans, try a "Brooklyn."

Not bourbon related, but I recently picked up a bottle of "Johnson Junior Moonshine" in blueberry & it's awesome.

Leave a comment:

• kevinD
    replied
    I'm a big fan of Blanton's and Knob Creek

Leave a comment:

• Shomas
    replied
    Originally posted by tomservo View Post
    I say this without any sarcasm, that's real effing manly... And I'm definitely picking up some Four Roses on my way home.
    Ha! Right? I thought so too. I should point out that this barbershop also serves beer while you wait, so I had that in hand as well. But then my barber and I had an extended discussion about hair products and a lot of those manliness points kinda went out the window...

Leave a comment:

• tdig
    replied
    Originally posted by tomservo View Post
    I say this without any sarcasm, that's real effing manly... And I'm definitely picking up some Four Roses on my way home.
    if you plan to mix then pick up the small batch.

Leave a comment:

• tomservo
    replied
    Originally posted by Shomas View Post
    This weekend I made (and quite enjoyed) a drink called a Scarecrow. It's a twist on a Manhattan, a recipe I saw in a magazine while I waiting to get my hair cut:

Leave a comment:

• Shomas
    replied
    Four Roses is my go-to mixing bourbon. This weekend I made (and quite enjoyed) a drink called a Scarecrow. It's a twist on a Manhattan, a recipe I saw in a magazine while I waiting to get my hair cut:

2 oz bourbon
    1/2 oz Gran Clasico
    1/2 oz Sweet Vermouth. The recipe I read recommended Cocchi Vermouth de Torino, which I used and liked, but any brand would work, I think.
    A few dashes of bitters. Spicy rather than fruity is probably the way to go here. I used Bitter Truth Creole Bitters.

Pour all the ingredients over ice, stir and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a maraschino cherry.

The Gran Clasico really adds a lot of flavor and the vermouth and the bourbon keep the bitterness in check. Very nice. Don't drink too many - it's pretty boozy.

Leave a comment:

• GRussell
    replied
    +1 on the Rittenhouse and the Four Roses.

I'm partial to Woodford Reserve, as well.

Leave a comment:

• Cause Moe
    replied
    Rye: Whistle Pig

Leave a comment:

Working...
X