Wool Blankets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wool Blankets

After I tried this last winter to see how difficult it will be to use as little heat in my home I'm looking at my options for this winter.

By reducing my heating as much as possible my bill from the previous year has gone from $1500+ in LP to less than $300 this past year using a kerosene heater and a blue flame type LP heater.

Last year, I mainly relied on a wholesale batch to warm up at night. A good set of flannel sheets, an electric blanket, a bunch of blankets like here - comfortersetreviews.com, and the best addition is a large sleeping bag of -30, open and used as a blanket. Even with an electric blanket, it was cold until I added the sleeping bag as a cover.

Looking for an alternative sleeping bag cover, the first thing that comes to mind is wool... I never had the opportunity to try a woolen blanket to see how it is done. Are they the best choice for heat or is there anything else that would be better?
    Last edited by Xiolar; November 8, 2020, 04:15 PM.

Not sure where you’re located but I also prefer not to use much heat in my place during the winter. For wool blankets I have full size Woolrich and Pendleton. The Woolrich I’ve owned for a few years and it does a good job keeping you warm although the material isn’t the softest against your skin. Only a concern if you’re wrapping it around you or using it as the blanket closest to your skin

https://huckberry.com/store/woolrich...avalry-blanket

the Pendleton I just picked up this year so haven’t gone through a winter with it yet. Feels much softer than the Woolrich , but that’s all I can comment on at the moment

https://www.pendleton-usa.com/produc...ket/70275.html

Comment

I have an old blanket from my folks from https://www.faribaultmill.com It's certainly from the late 70's-late 80's, so I can't speak to their current quality, but made in the US wool products are probably pretty decent. I used this blanket as a catch all in my trunk for years until Dappered clued me into made in the USA/wool quality. It was imediatly pulled into home duty.

Comment

I have a Pendleton blanket - one from their National Parks line - specifically the Arcadia. Got it for my wife one year for Christmas because Arcadia National Park was where we went on our honeymoon. They charge a little more for their national park branded ones but their regular camp blankets are basically the same with a standard blanket stripe pattern and usually run around $100 a pop. Mine is dry clean only...I'm sure it could be hand washed but it would be a chore and take a while to dry. But, I was perusing Pendleton's website a few weeks back and they do have machine washable wool blankets now and those would be more convenient for obvious reasons. The other one I have is by a mill called Bartlett Yarn in Harmony Maine. It's really nice and has to be at least 20 years, maybe even 30 years old. No idea whether they're still in business or not or what the cost might be.
        “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Does Pendleton ever run a sale? Or a third party sale not exclude them? I am sure they are nice but boy howdy are they pricey.

Comment

Working...
          X