Increase in spam posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Increase in spam posts

Is it just me or has there been a major increase in the amount of spam posts since the forum moved to the new platform a few months back? It seems like 3 out of every 4 new posts these days is spam, and I find myself visiting the forum less and less because of it. Is anyone else feeling the same way?

I am by no means an IT security expert, but I feel like there has to be a way to deter these people/bots. Maybe add an email verification code when you sign up for a new account or a captcha question when you login.

I feel like, overall the use of the forums has decreased along with the added spam. It's hard to know if that's pandemic related (who cares as much about style when you're working from home?) or perhaps the new format just isn't everybody's cup of tea? Watchuseek recently changed over, and I can't stand their new format either.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex.C View Post
      I feel like, overall the use of the forums has decreased along with the added spam. It's hard to know if that's pandemic related (who cares as much about style when you're working from home?) or perhaps the new format just isn't everybody's cup of tea? Watchuseek recently changed over, and I can't stand their new format either.
      As someone who used to visit nearly daily and now will maybe come on here once a month, it's the formatting for me. Something about the order of posts on the What's New page just isn't right, and the tiny amount of preview for new posts is frustrating. There's probably more that I can't articulate well here, but a reversion to the old formatting would be awesome.

Comment

abh159 I raised the issue of increased spam with the administrator of the site. I know they are looking in to it.

Regarding the forums themselves, like many of you I've been a member here for several years now. I've noticed the forums are kind of cyclical. During the winter months when many of us are stuck inside, the forums see an uptick. Now that summer is in place, the forums do see a bit of a slowdown.

All good feedback though. Maybe the admin can update the formatting. I don't know.

Comment

Another consideration regarding traffic... the forum update killed off Tapatalk and I know a lot of people (myself included) accessed the Threads primarily in that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Charles View Post
            Another consideration regarding traffic... the forum update killed off Tapatalk and I know a lot of people (myself included) accessed the Threads primarily in that way.
            Does your phone not have a web browser?
            https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Working...
            X