Has Dappered Sold Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has Dappered Sold Out?

I know this will be unpopular opinion by many, so let me just start by saying I am a Dappered devotee who visits the site daily and have found many a brand and many a deal from the site.

THAT SAID

I feel like the last year has been nothing but Spier & Mackay, JCrew, Flint & Tinder, and Huckberry. Amirite?? And if I have to read about BR’s core temp chinos one more time...

There are other great brands that never get airtime that also run deals. So what gives?

Pot = stirred. Let’s get into it.

I wouldn't say sold out...maybe stuck in a rut? But not sold out - they're pretty scrupulous about not taking free stuff from retailers to push products so I don't think they have a deal with any particular retailer to push their sales which would be my definition of selling out. The blog's bailiwick has always been style on a budget, and the large retail chains by and large offer more budget friendly deals, so they get a lot of coverage. Designer stuff is often beyond the budget they aim for around here so doesn't get much coverage.

Several months back they solicited new ideas for the blog - some of which were good suggestions - but I've only seen a very few posts implementing those suggestions. They could maybe stand to pick up the pace on that front a little to break out of the standard pattern in a little bit bigger way. I've come to accept that the blog is what it is and it's still useful for me but I've dialed way back on purchases because my closet is pretty well stocked and hence the sale posts are only useful once in a while.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

As mark4 mentioned there was a thread a while back that covered this topic to a degree. One of my (and many other members) suggestions was to branch out beyond the same repeating brands (j crew, BR, S&M, bonobos, etc.). Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like the team has made this change yet.

One thing to remember is that Dappered and most if not all similar sites do get a commission from certain brands if you make a purchase from their associated link. I imagine those core brands (j crew, BR, S&M, bonobos, etc.) are the ones that the site receives compensation from. As annoying as it is to see those same brands over and over again it’s possible that the site wouldn’t be able to exist without them.

All that being said I find myself spending very, very little time on the main page anymore because of its repetitive nature. I hate to say this but I’ve gone from being a daily visitor for years to a once every 2 weeks visitor currently. Maybe one day I’ll return more frequently if they start to highlight new brands, but to me the site’s only usefulness at the moment is to function as a sales tracker for the same 5-6 brands.

Comment

Originally posted by abh159 View Post
        As mark4 mentioned there was a thread a while back that covered this topic to a degree. One of my (and many other members) suggestions was to branch out beyond the same repeating brands (j crew, BR, S&M, bonobos, etc.). Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like the team has made this change yet.

One thing to remember is that Dappered and most if not all similar sites do get a commission from certain brands if you make a purchase from their associated link. I imagine those core brands (j crew, BR, S&M, bonobos, etc.) are the ones that the site receives compensation from. As annoying as it is to see those same brands over and over again it’s possible that the site wouldn’t be able to exist without them.

All that being said I find myself spending very, very little time on the main page anymore because of its repetitive nature. I hate to say this but I’ve gone from being a daily visitor for years to a once every 2 weeks visitor currently. Maybe one day I’ll return more frequently if they start to highlight new brands, but to me the site’s only usefulness at the moment is to function as a sales tracker for the same 5-6 brands.
        Yeah they do get a kickback and I doubt the site would be financially viable without that revenue. I still check the main site every day. Mostly I check out the product reviews when they appear, and scroll quickly through the sales roundup posts. I did see one post on how to mimic a look from a movie a couple months back (I think Bond from Quantum of Solace) - that was one of the popular suggestions from their solicitation for ideas.
        “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post
          I wouldn't say sold out...maybe stuck in a rut? But not sold out - they're pretty scrupulous about not taking free stuff from retailers to push products so I don't think they have a deal with any particular retailer to push their sales which would be my definition of selling out. The blog's bailiwick has always been style on a budget, and the large retail chains by and large offer more budget friendly deals, so they get a lot of coverage. Designer stuff is often beyond the budget they aim for around here so doesn't get much coverage.

Several months back they solicited new ideas for the blog - some of which were good suggestions - but I've only seen a very few posts implementing those suggestions. They could maybe stand to pick up the pace on that front a little to break out of the standard pattern in a little bit bigger way. I've come to accept that the blog is what it is and it's still useful for me but I've dialed way back on purchases because my closet is pretty well stocked and hence the sale posts are only useful once in a while.
          I'm in agreement with this thought. I wouldn't say sold out all. I think their pattern is becoming repetitive because of the niche they've established (budget friendly, "timeless looks", etc.) these are the most well suited brands for that. If they sold out we'd be getting every other blog post being about "Thursday Boots", etc.

I think they are also in a hard place. As their reader matures their wardrobe either doesn't need much major upgrades, or their style pushes beyond the niche of Dappered. In addition, we are in a period of time where most are not dressing up to go to work or even out on the town therefore the style suggestions are not hitting the mark. Regardless of what they say, I am not wearing a jacket inside for a conference call or a suit to walk my dog.

I still find great value in the site. I check the main page everyday and if there is an article I like I click the link. My link clicking has gone down do to some of the suggestions being repetitive but I think that's due to the lack of new material and not selling out.

Comment

This place is still on my daily blog roll and the style scenarios...they're not practical right now because I'm not going much of anywhere but I still peruse them. I buy less and less than I used to from the sale roundup posts but that's because my wardrobe is mostly filled out. The other style blogs I read are Valet, PutThisOn, and Style Girlfriend...that last one I'm maybe a little guilty about, but it's the one that explores current trends the most and although I'm not really a trend follower anymore it's somewhat interesting to follow them at arms length.

It's probably tough right now for them to start implementing the changes we suggested - some of them might not be very practical to implement until shopping at brick and mortar stores becomes practical and safe again.

Comment

Working...
            X