Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite activity in lockdown

Hi there!
    Guys, what do you like doing in lockdown when you have to self-isolate?

I mean reading books, watching series, listening to old CDs or what?

Comment

What do you mean by self isolate? Just the normal stay at home order type stuff or actual quarantine because you tested positive, were exposed, or have symptoms? I have not, thankfully, had to deal with the latter yet. But, for the former I have been doing all of the above, plus streaming music on Spotify. As for what I'm reading - American Moonshot by Douglas Brinkley which is about JFK and the space race. Before that it was Madame Fourcade's Secret War by Lynne Olson, which was a fascinating biography of the woman who lead the largest French Resistance intelligence network during WWII.

For streaming...I was a big fan of all the shows on NBC's Thursday night lineup around the turn of the last decade - The Office, Parks and Recreation, Community, and 30 Rock. The Office I've watched on reruns pretty regularly so I'm not streaming that much, but the other three are streaming free on either Netflix (Community, Parks and Rec) and/or Amazon Prime (30 Rock and Parks and Rec). I was also a fan of the show Chuck from the same era (action comedy about a computer geek who turns into a CIA/NSA asset when their entire intelligence database is accidentally/on purpose downloaded into his brain). The premise sounds kind of flimsy but the execution and casting were great and its got a great blend of action and comedy. We missed the 5th season when they switched it from Mondays to Fridays and are now watching that. Also, the Expanse is a fantastic Sci-Fi series on Amazon Prime, and if you want a laugh The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is great - Alex Borstein, Rachel Brosnahan, Tony Shaloub and Pollak are all fantastic and hilarious. The rest of the cast is pretty hilarious and Jane Lynch is great as a frequent guest star.

As for music...I listen to a lot of classical while I work from home, sometimes mid-century jazz on Friday afternoon. I find anything else either too distracting to get much work done (most pop music such as rock, country, etc.) or just not really worth listening to (new agey type stuff...I could work to it because it's not distracting, and it's OK if you're meditating but does nothing for me musically).

Other than that I've been taking the dog on long walks and I have a rowing machine (Waterrower A1) so I use that pretty regularly for workouts. Water rowers are quieter and smoother than fan resistance ones (quiet is great if you want to watch TV, or even a guided workout). Mine stands up on one end and is very stable that way, which makes storage very compact, and the frame is mostly wood so it looks pretty great compared to most pieces of fitness equipment.
      Last edited by mark4; May 22, 2020, 10:27 AM.
      “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I have been WFH since March 12th and life has followed the same routine M-F:
        8a-830a - Dog walk or walk on my own while listening to podcasts or talking to my mom.
        8:30a-5p - Work with an hour workout thrown in.
        5p-8p - Hang out with the kids.
        8p-10p - shows and reading before bed.

Workouts have been running or a ride on the Peloton. Health is very high on my list of importance so workouts are non-negotiable.

Work can be a mix of meetings or projects and I have found listening to music tough to do. That mixed with my wife also being home, one of us are always on a call.

Reading has been my standard book list as I get through them. Roughly one a month so far. Shows have been Curb Your Enthusiasm so far then I want to get my wife into Homeland, Succession, and maybe Billions. She likes more comedy and is more of a Mindy Khaling fan which I can't stand. So depending on nights and such, we watch shows together or do our own thing.

Comment

Hi Femnor!
          You forgot to mention video games I guess it will be one of the most frequent answers. At least that is my case prefer shooters like Valorant, COD. Recently I have been playing CS GO. What I like about CS GO compared to say Valorant is that the former allows to upgrade the characters with such skins https://skin.club/en It is not the option with Valorant yet.
          Last edited by Cooper; May 25, 2020, 08:29 AM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
            I have been WFH since March 12th and life has followed the same routine M-F:
            8a-830a - Dog walk or walk on my own while listening to podcasts or talking to my mom.
            8:30a-5p - Work with an hour workout thrown in.
            5p-8p - Hang out with the kids.
            8p-10p - shows and reading before bed.

Workouts have been running or a ride on the Peloton. Health is very high on my list of importance so workouts are non-negotiable.

Work can be a mix of meetings or projects and I have found listening to music tough to do. That mixed with my wife also being home, one of us are always on a call.

Reading has been my standard book list as I get through them. Roughly one a month so far. Shows have been Curb Your Enthusiasm so far then I want to get my wife into Homeland, Succession, and maybe Billions. She likes more comedy and is more of a Mindy Khaling fan which I can't stand. So depending on nights and such, we watch shows together or do our own thing.
            I think Mindy Khaling is hilarious. I thought her sitcom on Fox was hilarious. I like Curb Your Enthusiasm too, but can only take a couple episodes in a row before I get tired of Larry David. He's really funny in small doses but I can't take him for hour after hour.
            “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X