Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive, disposable razor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trac II by Gillette is a fantastic shave that is cheaper than the Mach3 ,5 blades, cuts just as well, and most importantly is not irritating. When I shave with a 3 or 5 blade razor, my face is killing me later and it also causes acne. The 2 blade Trac II works just as well but is better. There's a reason there still selling these blades 30 years after inventing it.

Comment

Just found this old thread while searching for more info on wet shaving: http://threads.dappered.com/topic/safety-razor-shave

I've caught the bug for sure; just purchased a vintage Gillette Super Speed off of etsy.

Comment

I wet shave too, and until this morning had been using BIC blades. The BICs have been fine, but this morning I used a Feather and was blown away. Most comfortable and closest shave I've ever had. Best piece of advice is take your time and don't press too hard. Let the razor do the work.

Comment

For those of you that wet shave with a safety razor, how steep is the learning curve? I'm tempted to jump in, but I have incredibly thick facial hair - both in terms of hairs per square inch and thickness of individual hairs. I got a straight razor shave from a fancy-schmancy barbershop in San Francisco a few weeks ago and the barber said he'd never before seen a fresh, sharp straight razor actually get hung up and yank hairs out by the root. But my tree-trunk hairs managed just such a feat. He was good at his job and gave me an excellent shave nontheless, but I'm afraid that in my amateur hands, it could be a bloodbath.

I also have the unenviable condition of the hairs on my face growing every which way. So, even if I don't bleed out, I'm afraid I could be looking at an hours-long process. Do you think these fears are justified?

Comment

I wouldn't say it's that bad, lots of good videos on youtube. I just shave down and call it a day it's not like a cartridge against the grain that way but it makes me more than presentable for work.

But if a straight edge has that much trouble, a cartridge must just rip your face apart.

Comment

A cartridge isn't so bad, actually. But, I shave in the shower, contort the hell out of my face to get at the various advantageous angles and go through a crazy amount of cartridges. I find that after 3 shaves, they start cutting my skin pretty badly and my whiskers not so well. You can imagine how appealing a less expensive option is.

Also, I've been shaving the same way with mostly the same equipment (minor variations as new models come on the market) for almost twenty years now, so I'm pretty good at it. But if there's a better or cheaper or more fun (yay for man toys) way to do it, it might be worth investigating.

Comment

Shomas: If the straight razor was fresh out of the box, never opened it wasn't NEAR shave ready. Fresh out of the box they come with what is called the 'factory' hone which can indeed shave, but it's not going to be easy. It will get caught, pull, and cause dermal abrasions as it cuts. It needs to be sharpened by a pro (in which it will be so sharp that just laying a hair on the blade will cause it to cut making a popping sound). Most barbers will sharpen theirs with a wet hone and pasted strop before even starting to use it.

I would recommend sending it to a place like straightrazordesigns or finding a local guy through the forum straightrazorplace. If it was truly sharp enough it should have been able to shave you bald through any amount of hair with zero pressure aside from gravity.

Edit: Also, most guys at those shops won't tell you this. It's how they stay in business. You have a bad first experience and then rely on them to do it for you. If your equipment is set up right, and you learn gradually (straightrazorplace has a gradual foolproof method which is how I learned), you realize it is actually very simple, very easy, and only takes about 10 minutes once you get comfortable.

Comment

By "fresh, sharp" I meant "freshly sharpened. I don't think the blade was fresh from the box new, and in any event he did some kind of hoo-ha to it before it touched my face (to use what I'm certain is the technical term). That was just bad phrasing on my part.

I doubt this guy was trying to take me for a ride or hornswoggle me into coming back soon. Shaves really aren't this place's bread and butter (they're probably more of a loss leader since they take much longer than the comparably-priced haircut) and in any event, he knew I was 3000 miles from home and wouldn't be coming back soon even if I wanted to.

Then again, who knows? Maybe I'm just gullible. Either way, I'm certainly not going to be going the straight razor route any time soon. It was just kind of a treat while I was on vacation.

Comment

@Shomas: About your question on the safety razor, there is definitely a learning curve. It probably took me a couple of weeks before I felt like I got the hang of it. I have pretty thick facial hair too. I shave every morning and have pretty good stubble every time I shave. The nice thing about shaving with a safety razor is that they are designed to remove a little bit of the blade of hair each pass, so you don't get the tug and pull like with cartridge razors that are designed to cut down to the skin with one pass and multiple blades.

I (and my wife) like my face smooth, so I make 3 passes on my face and two on my neck. Once you figure out what way the grain goes on the various parts of your face and neck, you go with the grain first, perpendicular to it next, and against it on the third pass (if you want that real smooth feel). Also, Ive found the sharper the blade, the smoother the shave goes. Feather blades have been great for me.

Anyway, now that I am past the learning curve, I will never go back to the cartridges. The shave quality has been so much better, the routine is enjoyable (I lather up w a badger brush and good shave cream or soap), and it is cheaper (after the initial investment). So, I recommend giving it a try if you are looking for something new!

BTW, I bought a Merkur safety razor. They make one with a longer handle, that is easier to get used to because the length is similar to the cartridge razors. Great quality razor... Would recommend it.

Comment

nm delete

Comment

Working...
                      X