Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My girlfriend has the most recent nexus running ice cream. Frankly, I am not overwhelmed. Physical specs only go so far for me these days: most things I do on a phone, the majority of these phones can handle. What matters to me is app support and interface...apple still is winning this race hands down.

Knowing (and therefore understanding) your own priorities is the biggest factor in successfully buying any tech device these days IMO

Comment

@Jordan - Your aggression only leads me to assume that this isn't meant to be a sound argument without personal attitude.

To try and deny the importance of design in the consumer experience and act as if Apple is uniquely perverse sounds ridiculous to me.

Apple is popular for a reason. If they were so bad and despicable compared to their competitors (whose major branding shifts often happen to follow Apple's major product announcements), they wouldn't be so beloved.

Why can't a tool we use daily and casually be as beautiful as a fashionable accessory? Don't most consumer electronic's producers advertise the design and aesthetic as much as the under-the-hood information? Do people really prefer the old beige boxes of Dell because they looked like tools?

Apple changed smartphones immensely when they created iPhone, and I'm gonna stick to arguing that it was for the best. Seems all those other noble phone producers that don't grab at money so greedily felt just as good about the iPhone as the rest of us fanboys, because they followed the cue. http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/10/27/android-handsets-before/

They did it again with iPad by basically inventing a new product category, the finger-navigated tablet computer. They did it to music with iPod and iTunes.

Macs are some of the most gorgeous mass-market computers around, in my opinion. They, too, provide good reasons for the various Mac computer models being the most memorable line of computers, perhaps of all time in culture. The OS of choice is a matter of preference, but I can say with certainty that Apple nailed down every part of the experience that I was willing to buy.

If you don't like them because it doesn't resonate with you, fine. Say that. But don't try and rationalize the idea that Apple got into our culture so heavily by hurting our user-experience. They sure made mine slick and cool, and they have every right to put a price-tag on that factor of their products.

Comment

We are so spoiled.

Comment

@jose_jackson - And there's nothing wrong with that! BAH!

@Deke - I don't know what it is, but something makes me feel like defending Apple is a good use of my time.

Comment

I currently have a droid because I got it used from a friend and didn't have to extend a contract. I'm not happy with the battery life on it or the fact that I have to reboot the phone once in a while like I would a computer. For this fact I will be switching to an iPhone.

Cannon - do you think the iPhone 5 justifies the $100 extra I'd have to pay compared to buying a 4S in a few weeks? I'm not one who has to have the latest and greatest mind you. Im so far behind the times that I've never owned an iPhone before.

Comment

@Vicious49 - I may not be the one to ask, because I'm all over pre-ordering the iPhone 5.

That said, Apple is still supporting the iPhone 3GS from 2008 with the new iOS 6 update this month, so I can pretty much say without a doubt you will be good for at least two years on usability if the price really appeals to you on the 4S. I think the 4/4S body feels like a gorgeous, aluminum-rimmed, glass slate and wouldn't trade it for anything but the iPhone 5.

Take a good look at what is new to the iPhone 5 hardware and if you really want the new features and don't want to go through a whole contract without them, you may just want to pay for the 5 instead.

If you really want LTE (and your city has it) for the data, the iPhone 5 is the only iPhone with it so far.

The real appeal of iPhone is probably iOS, which you can get in its newest form on both the 4S and 5.

Either one is a great, Apple-designed smartphone.

Comment

@Canon

Haha, no worries man. It makes for entertaining reading. I guess I more just get frustrated with the attacking stuff. I have both Apple stuff and PC/Android stuff and can see the pros and cons of both. I also understand that different products work better for different people.

Comment

@Deke - Good. I think its worth acknowledging the innovations and benefits, on all sides, but it comes down to preference and what you get out of the products.

If you don't personally want one or the other, let's not make it out to be because the companies are the greedy copycats sent by the devil or something. No phones on the market today would be what they are without their competitors.

Comment

@Jordan: a phone can be a fashion accessory in the same way a car can.

"We had a sick night b*tches!"

Comment

I bought a 4s in March, so I'm more interested in the new headphones. It seems ridiculous to pay 30 dollars for them, but it's amazing how often I use the control functions. Any audiophiles on here want to explain to me what all the upgrades are about?

Comment

@Cannon: Incorrect. The 3gs was the first model with 16gb base for $199. You might be thinking of the 8gb model they added later as a free phone. So they now have have 4 phones (3gs, 4, 4s, 5) all with the same base memory.

Comment

I work in a mobile division of a major newspaper, and work with iPhones, Androids, tablets, and mobile web stuff all day. Here's my take:

iPhone/iOS: Much more intuitive operating system, more responsive despite having slower hardware, but severely limited in certain aspects.

Major PROS:

- iOS is built on objective C. It's an older programming language that's being modernized. Because of that, it's quite speedy even on moderate hardware. See my con's for the downside.

- Very easy to use. Most menus just make sense and can be discovered on first use

- Consistent UI because of Apple's human interface guidelines (HIG).

- Apps are often built for iPhone before android, though this is less common now in 2012 as market share has changed

Major CONS:

- iOS is crashy as hell. Even though it's fast, memory management is a very weak part of this operating system. Even the apps with tons of money thrown into them still crash a lot. Things like ARC are starting to help, but it's still shaky. We use a third party service called crittercism to monitor our apps and figure out how many users are affected now with crash rates < 1%.

- iPhones/iOS are not as reliable as apple would like you to believe. Every phone I've had has had issues. iPhone 3gs: volume button broke off, and home button now is not responsive. iPhone 4s: battery stopped charging beyond 50% and I had to replace the phone entirely. On both phones, I've had to do full factory default restores (basically a complete reinstall of the iOS) because the phone suddenly started crashing on every app

- No access to certain apps without jailbreaking ( things like grooveshark !!! ). This is one of the biggest downsides of apple

- Apple approval for apps is infuriating. On the development side, if you find a bug and fix it, it can take up to 15 days for apple to approve the app and get it back online

- Apple often overdoes the UI, making things slower just to make them look fancy. A few examples: simple horizontal animations between menus, adding a photo attachment to email, etc. I don't care about the stupid f*ing animation - stop making me wait an extra 1 second between every action. It would be fine if we could disable them, but we can't.

- Expensive, particularly around storage.

Android: Way more open, more aggressive hardware, but awful fragmentation and UI.

PROS:

- Android is basically the PC of phones. You could also call them the domestic version of cars. You get faster hardware, bigger screens, etc, but it's not as coherent.

- You can install any app you want.

- First to LTE by a LONG shot, even though it hurt battery life

- Nearly completely customizable

CONS:

- Severe fragmentation of screen resolutions means apps are not compatible across the board

- Some manufacturers won't let users easily update to the newest operating systems. Only 1.2% of phones are on the current operating system, while about 90% of iPhone users are on the latest (http://developer.android.com/about/d...rds/index.html)

- Despite having faster hardware, android is based on Java, and it's SLOOOW. The snapdragon processor in the Galaxy S3 should blow away the iPhone 4s's processor, but the user experience is still jerky in places. To make another car analogy, it's like the iPhone is a 4 cylinder in a 1500lb sports car, and the android has an 8 cylinder but is in a 5000lb tank of a car. There's just an extra abstraction layer between the user and the OS that makes this sluggish.

- While most android phones now have great color saturation with AMOLED, the lack of high res displays means text isn't that clear, especially when zoomed out.

- The user interface is just not that good. All of the widgets look disorganized, autocorrect is a nightmare, etc. It's all learnable, of course, but if you put an 8 year old in front of both devices with a set of tasks, they would probably figure them all out on the iphone in 15minutes and probably would never solve all of the tasks on the android at all.

I'm a long time PC user and have been rooting for Android for a LONG time to get their stuff together. This year is the first time I think the models are getting very close to iPhone level quality. For now, I plan on buying the iPhone 5. Not because it's all that great, but because I just can't deal with the sluggishness of Android. The developers on our team go about 50/50, but mostly because some of them just demand complete customization on their phones. The funny thing is, almost none of them actually take advantage of that customization.

Comment

Some more things I've read on the phone and iOS 6 details:

It is the most color-accurate screen on a phone. Using the tech from the MacBook Pro Retina Display, it no longer has an extra layer on top of the screen (which was also used for touch and still is on other phones), but instead has the touch sensor integrated into the screen's own surface. This makes it thinner, sharper, and lowers glare, too.

The new chip combined with the size of the iPhone has allowed "console-quality" graphics. The racing game Real Racing 3, demoed with the track Laguna Seca, definitely approaching the modern consoles. Looks pretty stunning on the car game they played, though I'll admit I don't play mobile games anymore. The developers also note that the 16:9 ratio gives room for real-time reflective rear-view mirrors.

Apple boasts better battery life hours than iPhone 4S. Unlike other LTE world phones that use two radio antenna chips, iPhone 5 has a new single chip combining the signal technologies.

iOS 6

Apple's new Maps application has a gorgeous 3D layout, giving the free turn-by-turn navigation the look of a model city with accurate building footprint scale. Many major areas also include Flyover, which lays satellite imagery onto the accurate 3D models.

You can now post to Twitter and Facebook from the Notification center without opening the apps. iCloud Tabs have been added to allow access to any open tabs and pages on Safari from all of your Apple devices.

VIP mailboxes done via the Mail app. Shared Photo Streams automatically adds photos taken to the stream for all those you have shared the stream with to see and comment on. Like a social album that syncs automatically with friends.

If you can't take a call, you can automatically have Siri send the caller a message back or set you a reminder to call them back, all without making a sound during your meeting, nice and quick.

Redesigned store interfaces, including on Macs.

Resume movies and shows from wherever you paused across your Apple devices through iCloud.

New designs for iPod Touch and iPod nano join the updates.

Comment

Just to be clear my disdain for Apple doesn't come even specifically from the iphone, but from working with them in an enterprise environment and having to blow hundreds of thousands of dollars to get a PART of the functionality windows already had built in.

Apple does not make computers, they make fancy accessorys that steal real IP of other companys, and then turn around and patent and sue for frivolous patents like "rounded corners".

They went bankrupt once because of their ways, and they will again. Only a matter of time.

Comment

@Jordan - Can you please point to the fine example of electronics manufacturing that is giving you such a high example to put Apple down from?

(I know this is long)

Apple certainly can't hold this title forever, but for now they are the richest company in the world. Last quarter, MacBooks took 27% of the market share for notebooks, becoming the plurality holder in the US. Apple went bankrupt when they hadn't developed a good productivity side. When few businesses and consumers saw how they fit into the world. Now, Windows has upped its designs and Apple has upped its productivity compatibility, leaving everyone with a choice.

Apple is going to be around for a while. They've got more cash reserves to last them than the US government if they need it.

Who is your alternative tech provider that has seemingly less stolen tech and accusations with the same successful history? I certainly see where all the companies get ideas from each other, but Apple specifically is the bad guy that steals IPs and patents them? They do buy a lot of companies for their patents (That's where Siri's name came from, and the Genius playlist technology), but I wasn't aware of the sweeping reputation for stealing IPs so clearly to the public eye that would make it recognizable enough for you to find it worth sharing here.

And they didn't award themselves the patents. Every company files hundreds of rejected patents, but many of them stick.

Also, it wasn't just rounded corners in the patent (it had to do with the new shape of finger-navigated rectangular touchscreen phones with rounded corners, being the shape and screen placement of the first iPhone which was unique at the time of the announcement, thus worthy of it being Apple's design claim). You, and many others, make an oversimplification which seems insulting to them and the patent office.

And let's not act like Apple is again a unique demon. All major electronics companies, including Google, Motorola, Apple, Samsung, HTC, Sony, and more have been accused or found guilty of various patent and design issues from both each other and smaller companies. They all also have some seeming minor patents that they all argue over. Most of them manufacture with FoxConn and similar factories, and they all deal with each others' tech (Apple is one of Samsung's top customers).

For example, Apple created the "Slide to unlock" gesturing system to unlock a finger-navigated touchscreen phone. Considering that they were the creators of that idea, and the category of phone that would use it, why not? Everyone else unlocked phones and devices with buttons and passwords before, so it was indeed a new and cool unique idea that Apple set up for the first iPhone. But now, people like you seem to act like it was as common as the steering wheel, when in reality, they came up with these images and ideas before anyone else and seemingly should have a right to hold them legally.

Your claims still sound entirely personal, so it is going to be hard for the rest of us to see Apple that way.

I can't really imagine what the heck you are talking about when you are saying you HAD to blow hundreds of thousands on some unmentioned functionality. I don't know when or what happened, so it really makes me think nothing different about them. And you think no one struggles with Windows and PCs (which are never made by the same company, so you need two tech support company teams to back separately designed hardware and software)?

Sorry if you had trouble, but the reality is, most of their customers don't which is why they spread wildly.

Comment

Working...
                                X