Clear All

• Cannon
    replied
    Catherine Middleton

Leave a comment:

• Cannon
    replied
    Nicole Kidman

Last edited by Cannon; April 4, 2013, 05:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cannon
    replied

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTDlV9A2nnY
    Last edited by Cannon; February 10, 2013, 03:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cannon
    replied

Claudine Auger as Domino in Thunderball
    Last edited by Cannon; January 9, 2013, 09:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cannon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cannon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cannon
    replied
    Originally posted by scrambledpotato View Post
    Nah, art direction goes through swings and flows. One person will 'buck the trend' and go in a slightly different direction thus shifting the momentum that way as people turn and take it a little bit further and further. With the hyper-perfection of digital photography and advertising, shifting gears and going lo-fi allows you to stand out a little more from the crowd. People notice it and follow suit.

The trick (and what I strive to figure out in my 9-5) is to skate where the puck is going, not where it is.
    I wasn't being too serious on that, but you made a good comment anyways. I don't use Instagram, just Photoshop.

Leave a comment:

• scrambledpotato
    replied
    Originally posted by Cannon View Post
    Symptom of an Instagram-obsessed world?
    Nah, art direction goes through swings and flows. One person will 'buck the trend' and go in a slightly different direction thus shifting the momentum that way as people turn and take it a little bit further and further. With the hyper-perfection of digital photography and advertising, shifting gears and going lo-fi allows you to stand out a little more from the crowd. People notice it and follow suit.

The trick (and what I strive to figure out in my 9-5) is to skate where the puck is going, not where it is.

Leave a comment:

• Cannon
    replied
    Originally posted by scrambledpotato View Post
    It's that all of her shoots have the lo-fi aspect of a photograph that's been deteriorating in your parent's attic for about 30 years. So part of me wonders if it's in her contract with any photogs, or if everyone who shoots her has difficulty coming up with something new and creative.

And don't microwave your film - it just destroys it and would most likely catch on fire making a cloud of fumes that will shorten your lifespan. I'm guessing here; I never thought of what would happen if I did that - and like mixing random things with bleach, have no real desire to find out.
    It seems to just be a very common effect these days. I just noticed that one of the first pictures I could find of Adele (posted above) has that effect on it too. A few of Del Rey's own music videos have the effect, so I don't know if she tends to push for it or the directors sometimes suggest it.

Symptom of an Instagram-obsessed world?

Leave a comment:

• scrambledpotato
    replied
    Originally posted by Cannon View Post
    I guess I wasn't thinking clearly. I assume his comment was about the slight color curving to most of the photo shoots she is in. Just tends to look interesting and, as she is known for helping bring about a bit of retro-mania in the fashion and music world, it fits with the perception of a vintage allure.
    It's that all of her shoots have the lo-fi aspect of a photograph that's been deteriorating in your parent's attic for about 30 years. So part of me wonders if it's in her contract with any photogs, or if everyone who shoots her has difficulty coming up with something new and creative.

And don't microwave your film - it just destroys it and would most likely catch on fire making a cloud of fumes that will shorten your lifespan. I'm guessing here; I never thought of what would happen if I did that - and like mixing random things with bleach, have no real desire to find out.

Leave a comment:

• eli cash
    replied
    Originally posted by Lib View Post
    The war bonnet really crosses the line.
    Lol. I'm now going to say this every time I see something that is tacky or contrived.

"That chambray camo bowtie really crosses the line."

Leave a comment:

• Cannon
    replied
    Your understanding is a little myopic, so perhaps it is the readings. Like I said, this generation's obsession with 'vintage' and kitsch started long before she had adopted that as her style or persona. Campaigns and magazine covers come as a result of being a celebrity, and her style plays into current trends. You've got the causation backwards.

Good marketing (for this generation, anyway) wants to make people feel like they've 'discovered' something 'unique' so that they'll fork over money.

Also I'm trolling you a bit
    Maybe I'm coming across wrong here, but I don't think people are saying she invented something (though as a biased fan, I certainly piece elements of her image together as a pretty unique interpretation in today's world). I think it is saying she is perhaps one of, if not the current prime example of those trends and styles in today's market.

I'm completely aware that there's long been a current of vintage obsessions both in the mainstream and out of it (Abercrombie exploded thanks to it). But trends and fashion cycle, making it pretty fair in my opinion to suggest that someone has influenced or brought around a certain surge (like Rihanna and punk looks or David Beckham and 50s style). It sounds totally plausible to me that a certain figure could bring something into the public eye, whether a version of it has been there before or not.

People have suggested the same about Adele helping bring retro-mania, as well, and I don't see the problem with that suggestion. I think it's probably true.

And, yeah, I realize how ridiculous my thousands of words typed in defense of Lana Del Rey here is, so the trolling is entertainingly working.

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
    Oh hey a message board made specifically for this subject:

http://lanadelreytalk.com/forums/

:P
    People are welcome to post and discuss whatever woman's style they find appealing here, too. I occasionally try to mix it up, but I obviously represent just me.

Post away, gents. I'm sure we'd all like to see the lovely women you appreciate.

Adele
    Last edited by Cannon; November 28, 2012, 04:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied
    Oh hey a message board made specifically for this subject:

http://lanadelreytalk.com/forums/

:P

Leave a comment:

• Lib
    replied
    Your understanding is a little myopic, so perhaps it is the readings. Like I said, this generation's obsession with 'vintage' and kitsch started long before she had adopted that as her style or persona. Campaigns and magazine covers come as a result of being a celebrity, and her style plays into current trends. You've got the causation backwards.

Good marketing (for this generation, anyway) wants to make people feel like they've 'discovered' something 'unique' so that they'll fork over money.

Also I'm trolling you a bit

Leave a comment:

• Cannon
    replied
    She didn't bring about anything. This generation has been appropriating cultural tropes and trying hard to find 'vintage everything' long before she was marketed that way. Can't bear the thought of being criticized for authenticity, so it appropriates and hides behind a veil of irony.
    Perhaps its just the readings I've caught, but my understanding is that her frequent invitations to first row seats at fashion shows and tendency to draw commentary from people in that industry, selection as the spokesmodel for two H&M campaigns (featuring a 'Blue Velvet' cover) and the Jaguar F-Type, association and appearances for Mulberry (which stated her influence before their now working relationship), and the commentary on her multiple magazine covers from Vogue, GQ, etc. all seem to mention that they find her vintage style and look to be uncommon for today and an alluring part of her image and that the look she strives for has leaked back into the fashion world in part thanks to her popularity internationally and unique blends using it.

As far as I've read, she is quite involved in the European fashion scene and has indeed helped influenced the current trends of fashion in the minds of some of those in that industry. I don't think that relates to authenticity or gives sole credit to her for bringing about anything, that's just the impression I've gotten paying attention over time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X