Beer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Bulldoggery

I've always thought about aging some quads. But every time I attempt it, I end up popping the bottles open a few hours after the aging process begins.

Comment

@greg_s - Blanch de Chambly, how could i forget? Just had it for the first time a couple weeks ago, lovely stuff. And i had no idea they made a trader joe's beer, definitely gonna be on the lookout for that.

@Lewis Hollow - i haven't seen the 17 Grande Réserve in stores before but i will try and find it.

And i almost forgot La Chouffe, that one definitely deserves a mention.

Comment

One that deserves mention is Avery brewery's The Kaiser. Absolutely fabulous Oktoberfest. I've had nearly all the German ones I can find (as I tend to favor Oktoberfests in general) and this is easily one of, if not the, best I've had despite not being German.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I feel compelled to bring up http://www.beeradvocate.com for those who don't already know about it. When I first got seriously into beer, that site was my oracle. Occasionally, it still is (when I come across a rare beer I've never heard of).

Some excellent "primers":

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/

http://beeradvocate.com/lists/popular

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/glassware

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/store

And the forums there are quite active, with local subforums devoted to what's going on in the beer world in your neck of the woods.

Comment

I've seen 17 Grande Reserve in stores but never been tempted to pick it up. Should I?

I've got FW Parabolas from this year and the past 2 years (10,11,12), FW Anniv 13,14,15, DFH World Wide Stout 09,10,11 & SN Big Foot 10,11,12 among others (DFH Bitches Brew, DFH 120, a couple of Cantillons, a few Fantomes, a couple of Pannepots, Mikkeller Beer Geek Weasel, etc.) that are stashed away in my closet.

Any body else into aging beer?

Comment

My dedicated beer refrigerator currently houses 16 beers, which are aging at a constant 50 degrees (there are different ideal temperatures for different styles, but I'm going fairly conservative due to the variety in my fridge).

I've got a couple of Westvleteren 12s, a Rochefort 10, a St. Bernardus Abt 12, two 2009 Dark Lords, a wheatwines that really needs some time to cool down, a Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock, and various J.W. Lees Harvest Ales in there at the moment.

I haven't touched anything in there in quite a while. Having that dedicated fridge (which is in my basement storage room) was the key to my not breaking down and drinking its contents too soon -- the beers in my regular fridge are for "regular" consumption, while the ones downstairs often get forgotten about for weeks at a time.

Comment

@Pratyk - I'd recommend it, it's solid, sort of a richer Maudite. And, any time you want to invite me over to drink with you, say the word! That's a great list right there. Have you had FW 14 yet, or will that bottle be your first? It's seriously incredible. Love DFH WWS as well, just had one a few weeks ago.

Some I've aged with great success: DFH Palo Santo Marron, Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, and St. Bernardus Christmas Ale, all of which were noticeably better than their younger counterparts. Have a Westy 12 aging at the moment, and a Deschutes The Abyss, among others.

Comment

How long could you age an imperial stout, do you imagine, before it would be disgusting? Some friends and I brewerd a 12-percenter the week my son was born, and I have a few bottles I've been cellaring since with the idea of giving him some when he's fifteen or something. That's way too long, right? Would it last ten? It's three years old now, and tastes great.

Comment

@Lewis. 14 was great! I usually buy atleast 2 bottles if I can, one for the moment and one for the aging part if the brews are released in 22oz bottles. As far as 6 packs or 4 packs (12 oz bottles) like SN Big Foot, out of the 6, one is consumed around the buying time, one around 6 months, one around 1 year and so on. I love to taste the evolution of the taste & character of a beer.

One of the better beers out there for aging is Dogfish Head Burton Baton. I also have stashed some Brettanomyces based beers that are suddenly a rage these days(SN-Russian River Brux, Boulevard Saison Brett, etc.)

@BB RIS are usually pretty steady as far as the aging vs. flavor profile is concerned. Some people advocate storing them at a cooler temperature in order to age them longer. Check BeerAdvocate for other people's experiences with aging a certain beer.

Barleywines, Meads, Wild Ales/Sours & Stouts (esp. Imperial) are great for aging.

I aged the Founders Devil Dancer last year (some complained that it tasted like onion juice due to the Summit hops used in brewing) for 6 months - 1 year and it tasted way better than the fresh one. I like 6 month old Hopslam vs. fresh hopslam as it takes that alcoholic bite off the brew.

All in all, aging is a very trial and error process. I ain't giving up on it anytime soon though

Comment

@BB, pratyk's recommendation (checking BeerAdvocate regarding the beer[s] in question) is spot-on.

There is so much variability from brewery to brewery (and sometimes from year to year, or even from batch to batch) that any attempt at offering a blanket statement as to the cellarability of a given style would, at best, be severely limited in relevance.

This can give you the basics on storing and aging beer: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/store

Comment

Not a beer geek, but I like beer and have my regular favorites. From light to dark (kinda):

- Bell's Oarsman Ale - A session beer with nice tartness. There's nearly always some in my fridge.

- Bodington's (or) Tetley's ales - They are like guiness in smoothness and carbonation/texture, but ales. Easy to drink... more than one. You can find Bodington's anywhere.

- Dogfish Head 60 Minute & Magic Hat #9 - I am NOT a pale ale or IPA fan. Hoppiness tastes soapy to me. But these two are tweet and tart enough to enjoy.

- Starr Hill Amber Ale (and) - It's beer that tastes like beer.

- Rogue's Captain Sig's Northwestern Ale (or) Rogue's All-American Ale - These have a bit more flavor than a regular ale, and usually come in 750s only. Love 'em for splitting with dinner.

- Rogue Dead Guy Ale - If you like heavy and malty bock beers, this is my favorite.

- Ommegang Abbey Ale - It's a Belgian style dubbel, and I love it. Similar to Chimay's Red and can usually be found for $6 at Trader Joe's.

- Kostritzer Schwarzbier - I'm a huge fan of porters and schwarzbiers overall because I substitute them for dessert frequently, but this import is the regular in my fridge.

Comment

I wish Bells distributed in MA. I love the Two Hearted and ofcourse, Hopslam. I usually trade for some though so it's not that bad.

What are your favorite seasonals?

Troegs Nugget Nectar, Founders Breakfast Stout, St. Bernardus Christmas Ale are some of mine.

Comment

@pratyk -- I had never heard until now that Bell's didn't distribute to Massachusetts.

Given your home state's prominence in our nation's beer culture (thanks in no small part to Jim Koch and the Alström brothers), I'd just assumed that a brewery with a distribution range as wide as Bell's was making their beers available there.

I mean, they started distributing all the way down here in GEORGIA a couple of years ago, for crying out loud. It's sincerely shocking that they're not in MA yet.

Comment

@pratyk -- Bell's Two Hearted is among the other pale ales that I can tolerate / enjoy... good schitt.

Comment

I consider myself a bit of a beer geek myself. In Alabama it can be hard sometimes with our laws. Fortunately we just passed the "bomber law" to allow larger sized bottles in our stores. They have been pouring in to the state and now there are so many more to try, it makes me dizzy.

I think my fondness for beer besides coors and natural lite started when I took a trip to Austria in Germany in my junior year. It really opened up my eyes to other types of beer.

Some of my favorite beers include:

Franziskaner Hefeweizen (dunkel if I can find it) - I got a taste for hefeweizens from the trip mentioned above and this is one of the more readily available varieties where I am

Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen - one of the best hefeweizens that I have had and the one that probably reminds me the most of the beer I had in this bar I frequented in Austria

Ayinger - another good hefeweizen

Ellies Brown Ale - a good brown from Avery

Good People Brown Ale - brewed in my hometown of Birmingham, Al, a good brown

Duvel makes a good beer too but I don't purchase it too often

Blue Moon Harvest Ale - I know I might be looked down upon by some beer geeks for liking this but I can't help it, it's perfect for a slightly chilly fall day or night

My one beer that I go for when I can't afford good beer has to be PBR. It's usually the cheapest beer at the bar (or close to it).

Comment

Working...
                                X