No announcement yet.

Beer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the opportunity this weekend to try some Pliny the Elder. I only had a few sips, but yeah I can see why people like it so much. Hopsplosion, that one.

Comment

As good as Pliny the Elder is, I had Heady Topper last week and can confirm that it is as great as the hype. More balanced that I expected. Definitely worth seeking out.

Comment

Originally posted by goodwillhinton View Post
        As good as Pliny the Elder is, I had Heady Topper last week and can confirm that it is as great as the hype. More balanced that I expected. Definitely worth seeking out.
        HT is excellent. I had a Pliny the Elder vs HT taste-off with a friend of mine during the superbowl. It was the first time I had tried Pliny, which was excellent, but I still preferred the HT. It's hard to get though. I was up in Waterbury, VT (where the brewery is located) 2 weekends ago, and even there it was tough to get. We picked some up, but it took 3 people and 2 trips to the store just to get this much:

Comment

Yeah HT is harder and harder to come by these days. We are going to VT and nearby areas for our honeymoon in about a month and a half. Super excited to drink a ton of it on tap.
          "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Last week was an excellent beer week for me. I was in NYC for four days on vacation. Four days in NYC + great beer + World Cup soccer + friends = great vacation.

I spent a big chunk of time at Beer Culture (W. 45th & 8th Ave.) and was very impressed with their selection. Over the years I have been to most of the top beer bars in NYC and can confidently say that Beer Culture is as good or better than any in the city. I had the following beers at Beer Culture:

Hitachino Nest Dai Dai Ale - excellent IPA by Japanese brewery.
            Firestone Walker Easy Jack - easy drinking session IPA.
            Firestone Walker Double Jack - one of my favorite breweries; this is a top-notch Imperial IPA.
            The Bruery Sucre (Bourbon Barrel Aged) - I think they categorize this as an Old Ale but it was more like a barleywine to me. Incredibly complex and one worth savoring and sipping slowly over a long evening.
            Straffe Hendrik Wild - A Belgian Tripel from a brewery I have recently discovered in the past couple of years; good stuff.
            Prairie Artisan Ales: Birra Farmhouse Ale - Saison from a brewery in Oklahoma that I had never heard of. Very impressive and true to the style.
            Malheur 10┬║ (Millennium) - Belgian strong ale with the classic Belgian yeasts and hints of fruitiness.
            Gulden Draak 9000 Quadrupel - I'm a big fan of the Gulden Draak tripel; this Quad is every bit as good.
            Stift Engelszell Benno - I have had the Quad from this new Trappist brewery in Austria; this beer is is called a Saison but was more complex that I generally expect from a Saison.
            New Glarus Unplugged Abt - I was very impressed by this Belgian-style quad from Wisconsin. Definitely one to have again.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was fortunate enough to have a friend share a Heady Topper with me. I am often underwhelmed by overly-hyped beers like Westvleteren 12 or Pliny the Elder. But not in the case of Heady Topper. Unlike many Imperial IPAs that are all about obscene amounts of hops, this beer was fantastically well-balanced unlike any IPA I have ever had. Very worthwhile beer to seek out.

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
              Yeah HT is harder and harder to come by these days. We are going to VT and nearby areas for our honeymoon in about a month and a half. Super excited to drink a ton of it on tap.
              Have fun! VT is great to get away. Getting it on tap is your best bet. I didn't even plan to get any cans this time around, (last year I picked up a case, when the brewery was still open to the public), but when I found out that the delivery date to all of the stores in the area was the day we were getting into town, I figured I'd stop into a few and see if they had any.

Comment

I just wanted to post and "represent" Beer City USA. With Founders, Harmony and Vivant downtown, and Bell's another half an hour drive away, I think I am pretty good covered regarding my beer needs.

Comment

Hey All,

Not sure if it is okay for me to post this. Mods, please notify me and remove post if it is disallowed.

I am producing a beer and history event in San Francisco a week from Thursday on July 24th in San Francisco. The event is called Hops and History Round 2 and is in it's second year. There are 10 craft breweries from SF and the East Bay. Historical talks, and panels, food vendors, a museum exhibit, and more. You can find more information at http://sfhistory.org/flipside and at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/hops-and...ts-11980912231
                  It will be a great night that benefits the restoration of the Old Mint in downtown San Francisco.

If interested, send me a PM and I will send you a discount code.
                  Last edited by mrclean06; July 15, 2014, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Westvleteren 8, and La Chouffe Belgian Ale tonight. Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                      Nice selection!

Some friends and I had an IPA tasting last weekend. Here's a photo:

From L to R:
                      A growler of 7th Settlement Gerrish IPA from a local brew pub. My buddy is the owner/head brewer.
                      Stone RuinTen
                      Pliny the Elder
                      Cigar City Jai Alai
                      Heady Topper
                      Bissel Brothers The Substance
                      Great Rhythm IPA (a local brewery)
                      A growler of Stoneface IPA (another local brewery)

Overall, it was a fantastic night!

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                        La Chouffe is probably my favorite Belgian beer. I've got a few large format bottles stashed away here somewhere...

I picked up this mixed 12-pack from Sierra Nevada today - each is a collaboration:

Excited to check them out.
                        Last edited by Jamie; July 30, 2014, 10:52 PM.

Comment

The beer camp is solid. Don't expect anything world class, but I've quite enjoyed most of them.

Was able to have some Bourbon County Coffee on tap yesterday, so that was rad. Also finally got a taste of Bourbon County Cherry Rye. Found a guy on Craigslist selling the 4 Goose Island sisters for half price. All in all, it was a solid beer day.

Comment

I've been dying to try the Bourbon County Brand stouts, but haven't yet delved into online trading. Weird, we can get some Goose Island beer around here, no BCBS though.

Comment

[MENTION=7445]Emmet[/MENTION] what part of the country are you in? Send me a PM and I think I can help you out

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
                                [MENTION=7445]Emmet[/MENTION] what part of the country are you in? Send me a PM and I think I can help you out
                                Oh man, that would be outstanding! I'm in Massachusetts. If there's anything here you can't get, I'd be happy to do a trade! Thanks so much, Greg!

Comment

Working...
                                X