Favorite Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite Quotes

I wanted to know some of your favorite quotes/slogans/philosophies from any source. It can be humorous or particularly meaningful.

Perhaps my very favorite thought of all, "Heaven is a place on Earth."

"Bond... James Bond."

Anybody who just has a weakness for pleasure of great movie moments, serious, sweet, or silly, can enjoy this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wRkzCW5qI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCPZaX_foxU&feature=youtu.be

"The little things... there's nothing bigger, is there?" David Aames, Vanilla Sky (and many more from Vanilla Sky)

"Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul." from the novel Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.

It sounds like a damn enviable attachment and love to a romantic's ears. That sort of romanticized never-let-go love and lust in the old movies.

"Live every week like it's Shark Week." - Tracy Jordan, 30 Rock

"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem." (Original Latin)

"What man is a man who does not make the world better?" - Kingdom of Heaven

"The rest is silence." From Shakespeare's Hamlet.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

-Marianne Williamson

"The World you have entered was created by The Walt Disney Company and is dedicated to Hollywood—not a place on a map, but a state of mind that exists wherever people dream and wonder and imagine, a place where illusion and reality are fused by technological magic. We welcome you to a Hollywood that never was—and always will be. ”

—Michael Eisner, May 1, 1989, Dedicating Disney's Hollywood Studios

Angela: Extension 128.

Creed: [over phone] Hiya Pumpkin, it's Creed.

Creed: Say, we're gonna ditch this bitch. You in?

Angela: No.

Creed: Are you out? [Angela hangs up] Pumpkin's out, let's go gang! [they all make a run for the door, Dwight re-enters room with only Angela left]

Not a quote, but one of my favorite cold opens from The Office (US)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANQtlqyfxm0

"Tracy: Jenna, I've been thinking.

Jenna: Why? You're famous."

From 30 Rock

Quod Sum Eris - I am what you will become

Dum Spiro Spero - While I Breathe, I Hope

Good Will Hunting:

"Cause #$%@ him, that's why!"

Rocky 4:

"I must break you..."

And Phil Hartman(RIP)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InF17l92Fbc

Comment

I have several. I try to remember quotes because I like them. The whole final chunk of Lord Alfred Tennyson's Ulysses is excellent. I love the final line "to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

"They spilled downhill, the sun in their mouths, in their eyes like shattered lemon glass, gasping like trout thrown out on a bank, laughing til they cried." Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury

"If you act like a barbarian, you will become a barbarian" Niles Crane

"I dwell in a lonely house I know

That vanished many summer ago,

And left no trace but the cellar walls,

And a cellar in which the daylight falls,

And the purple-stemmed wild raspberries grow."

Ghost House by Robert Frost

And many more.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

"The things you own end up owning you" Tyler Durden

"You may say

I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one

I hope some day you'll join us

And the world will live as one" Lennon

Comment

If you find yourself lost in the woods, fuck it, build a house. "Well, I was lost but now I live here! I have severely improved my predicament!" - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

"Too much of anything is bad, but too much whiskey is never enough." -Mark Twain

My cocktail videos >

Comment

On the funny side.....

"Hot pocket"- Jim Gaffigan (but you have to say it in the voice he uses).

On the serious side...

'The key to immortality is living a life worth remembering'- Unknown (as in I don't know, but I'm sure somebody does).

@greg_s- Very nice choices. I will have to check out more of Frost's works. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

“Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.” - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

"The true joy in life is the journey" - From Robert Hastings' "The Station"

For the full monty, check it out here: http://thestationessay.com/

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

@aaron, yes he is worth the time. I almost always appreciate how a phrase is formed moreso than what it says. That is actually why I am drawn to (good) hip hop. Same for poetry and writing. Salman Rushdie, Fitzgerald, Garcia Marquez, Frost, Yeats, POS. They may not all be in the same genre (or even echelon) but they can all turn a phrase in beautiful ways.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government."

-Edward Abbey

Comment

People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of their character - Ralph Waldo Emmerson

Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

"There's a sucker born every minute." - P.T. Barnum

Comment

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, it might have been" - John Greenleaf Whittier

Comment

"You will only regret what you choose not to do." I forget where I read that but it's stuck with me through the years.

Comment

Working...
                              X