Changing Majors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Majors

What majors did you have in school before the final one you graduated with? What major did you end up graduating with?

I'm a sophomore at my university and just switched from Digital Media to... Film.

My ideal career would be a successful filmmaker or producer, but that's rather rare, so I of course have some anxiety about where I'll be in 15 years. Nonetheless, I will never get the chance to have my dream career if I don't try this route.

My education was pretty straight-forward. I have a college degree in computer science, since I wanted to be a programmer. That's what I do now for a living.

Comment

I changed majors many, many times. The average student changes his major six times, and I was about on par with that. I went from economics to international affairs to chemistry to math to music, etc.... and ended up with analytic philosophy, a field in which I have my degree. Sophomore year is early, you'll be fine.

Comment

I only bounced around a bit in undergrad, but then got a Master's degree in a different subject from my major, and then a PhD in a related, but still distinct, field from either of those. So graduating with a major in something doesn't even stop you from changing "majors." Do what you are excited to do, and when you graduate try to use the skills you have acquired to do something you love, whatever it may be. At any rate, that's my advice.

Comment

Where are you getting that 6x average? Are those actual changes or just in-their-head changes? Seems ridiculously high.

I was always Econ, but contemplated a double in Math for a bit. Due to another minor, honors class reqs, and a semester internship, it seemed like too much of a hassle to bother.

Comment

I can't recall the source off-hand, but I remember it being credible enough that my skepticism (always very active) was allayed. I dunno if it refers to documented changes or not, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to me, probably because I was right around that number as well.

Comment

I waited until the last possible minute to declare an undergrad major at my alma mater, a huge state university. At my school, at least when I was there, you had to declare SOME major before registering for classes above and beyond 60 hours. Traditionally, that meant you had to have a major before you started your junior year.

After a whole lot of soul-searching and, really, a mini-crisis -- I wasn't going to be allowed to stay in school (undergrad) for more than four years, and I was there at a time when you literally HAD to be there five years to complete some majors -- I chose psychology. To make a long story short, if you go down that road and plan to be a licensed, practicing clinical psychologist in America, declaring that major going into your junior year means at least a six- or seven-year course of study from there on out, at bare minimum.

Honestly, that was a bad choice for me. I now tell college students every chance I get that they should take whatever time they need to choose their major, especially if that major is going to dictate their career path. If you don't plan for your college major to impact your eventual career, then I guess it doesn't matter much...although it would behoove you to make 100% sure you can get into the field of your choice with whatever degree you end up with.

Even if it meant paying for school completely on my own, with loans or otherwise, I wish I could go back and have a "do-over" on my decision. I was just bound at the time by my school's deadline and my parents' pressure to finish undergrad in four years...I wish I'd had the balls back then to be independent and buck the constraints around me.

Comment

When I started, I was doing a History major with a secondary education certificate. Now I'm doing History, without secondary education, but I picked a Philosophy major and a Bible/Theology minor. I do know several people that have changed a few times. I wouldn't stress about it.

"The principle can be established that for a man who does not cheat, what he believes to be true must determine his action."
                -- Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus

Comment

I never changed my Undergrad Major: Biology. But started school with the intent to go to Pharmacy school, then debated Med school for a bit. I decided to decided to stay with Pharmacy, where I am now, entering my 2nd year of Pharmacy School.

Comment

Started history, ended up poli sci and I work in construction. It doesn't really matter,

Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

Cannon, if you're a sophomore then you're probably around nineteen. That means that you only have one more year until you're twenty. Even more alarming, you only have eleven more years until you're thirty, and you know that it's going to be all downhill from there!

Don't worry, you still have plenty of time to make those sort of life changes. If it helps, most people don't get a job in the field of their major. That being said, there is one factor to consider this year or next year: are you thinking about graduate school? If so, you should lay out a plan for essay writing, interning, etc. starting next semester.

Comment

Started out as a Biology major, totally blew it, wound up graduating with a B.S. in Business (Finance). Now, 10 years later, I'm back in school & halfway through a Biochemistry degree. So no worries if it takes a while to find your way, you can always just suck it up & go back!

Comment

Started in Accounting right away. Stuck to it, added a minor in Computer Information Systems and graduated with 150 credits in 3.5 years. I'm in the minority. Most of my friends switched a few times. It paid off for me though to know right away. Saved a semesters worth of tuition and spent that semester still living at school partying.

My cocktail videos >

Comment

Started history, then Poli Sci, finished with Philosophy and I now work in sales and Marketing for a wine agency. It truly doesnt matter in many cases.

Comment

"and spent that semester still living at school partying."

That's the correct answer. I was worried you had full-on graduated early. I understand the financial aspect of it, but it's just such a waste of time that you could spend enjoying life more than stressing about it. Rarely can one try to rekindle the same experience, even if they go to grad school later (and older).

Comment

Working...
                              X