Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannon
    replied

Lisbeth Salander has a cool one for her motorcycle, but I take it that you meant a regular bicycle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l23hFSfp0b4

Leave a comment:

• robert12
    replied

Good post, Lib. Even for short commuter jaunts, Bern and Nutcase are problematic. Tried both on in my local bike shop last spring and was astounded by how much heat they retained. Sticking with my Specialized S-Works, which I only truly appreciated after trying on the others.

Leave a comment:

• Lib
    replied

'Good looking' and 'bike helmet' are never going to go together in the same sentence. The current style of helmet that is en vogue is the multi-sport type, similar to something you would see skateboarders/park BMX riders/some snowboarders using.

Bern makes such helmets and is very popular at the moment. Nutcase does as well and seems especially favored by women cyclists as they offer more unique designs and color schemes. That said, both of these models tested poorly in a recent consumer reports analysis of bicycle helmets. Most other manufacturers (bell, giro, specialized, etc.) make a multi-sport helmet.

The larger you are, the better a helmet tends to look on you. This is because the thickness of the foam liner is mandated, and will thus look even more ridiculous on a small person than on a larger framed individual. Those 'yakkay' hat-helmet things aren't fooling anyone, by the way, and I don't think a man could pull one off.

I will not presume to know what type of cycling you are engaged in, though I imagine if you care about how your helmet looks that you will be doing some urban cycling. The 'multi-sport' style is the best bet, but if you are riding hard then you will find the ventilation less than adequate.

As a PSA, I'll take this opportunity to note that bicycle helmets are designed to protect your head from falls. Not getting hit by a car, not running into light standards at 20mph. Buy one that fits your head and has a retention system that will keep the helmet in proper position. You will come across helmets you like the look of more than others, but they may not fit you properly. Do not be swayed by looks over fit.

Leave a comment:

• LosRockets
    replied

Please make sure to take function over fashion in this department!

Also: http://dappered.com/2012/05/where-ca...g-bike-helmet/ might be a good start

Leave a comment:

• antonius
    started a topic Bike helmet

Bike helmet

Any suggestions for bike helmets? I'm looking for a good-looking and reliable one ~$50 or less. I don't really know where to start! Any help would be appreciated.

Working...
X