X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    imported_pdo

• imported_pdo
    replied

Thanks for all the great feedback, the nomination and, the votes. We'll start rolling out new moderators shortly, but may not get to everybody above immediately.

More to come!

Leave a comment:

• zerostyle
    Varsity Member

• zerostyle
    replied

I've messed with a lot of forums in the past.

vbulletin - seems to have the best support, but is paid

phpbb - seems to be a security nightmare

simple machines - quite good, but the default template and UI is pretty awful

myBB - one of my favorites, though hardly well known. might be a risk to get support

Overall advice:

- No matter what you go with, you're going to need to stay on top of updates, or you'll be hacked regularly.

- Use as few plugins/addons as possible. While they are nice and can add functionality, they often make upgrading a nightmare

- Make sure you have good moderator tools for bulk deleting accounts + all posts associated with accounts when the spammers get through

- Consider using a good anti-bot plugin for registration. CAPTCHA doesn't seem to be enough these days.

Leave a comment:

• pratyk
    Varsity Member

• pratyk
    replied

Simple Macines. Use it at one of my football message boards and BeerAdvocate recently moved their forums to SMF as well. phpBB code is just plain ugly.

I'd +1 the above mentioned choices for moderatorship.

Leave a comment:

• nerdland

• nerdland
    replied

I've installed a couple of SMF boards before. Not anything with this kind of scale, but they worked well for my purposes. Haven't used phpBB on the backend, but I see it a lot. I think either of those are pretty solid options.

Leave a comment:

• jake89
    replied

guiltybystander

Acousticfoodie

for my noms (not take away at all from the other noms whom are all excellent as well).

Leave a comment:

• redbeardedmike
    Varsity Member

• redbeardedmike
    replied

+1 for bruschetta's tone.

I will ratify self-nominations of all regular posters above. The community has really shown its colors as some of the most prolific and helpful contributors have already stepped forward to help out. Kudos to everyone here. May we have very little to moderate.

Leave a comment:

• bruschetta
    Super Moderator

• bruschetta
    replied

tomservo, we agree more often than not. Now, if you'd only recognize my hairdo superiority we could vow eternal friendship.

Kenneth, hugs and kisses.

Paul, I second (third? fourth) nicholascrawford's nominations of frost, trash, and zerostyle. Acoustic would also be a good choice, but he's been putting together better outfits than me as of late and we can't have that.

Leave a comment:

• pitseleh

• pitseleh
    replied

I was actually going to suggest NC and acousticfoodie, as well, but at this point it seems that I don't really need to! Still, I think they're around enough, and perhaps more importantly, helpful enough, that they'd be a good fit.

Leave a comment:

• BB
    Dappered Veteran

• BB
    replied

I'll second Acoustic, primarily because without him the WAYWN thread would be as empty as Google+.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    Super Moderator

• greg_s
    replied

Oh snap. I knew there was one gaping hole in the mentions. Acousticfoodie, of course!

Leave a comment:

• Acousticfoodie
    Varsity Member

• Acousticfoodie
    replied

I second NC, BenR and brushetta for nomination as well! I wouldn't mind moderating as well but looks like we're already seeing clear favorites!

Leave a comment:

• ChrisW
    replied

If you decide that VB is the way to go, you should certainly put up a donation link, I'm sure plenty around here would like to chip in. Although a move may be a little painful, I think it is pretty clear that Threads is outgrowing the current format.

I definitely support Bruschetta's, NC's and Bremersm's nominations.

Exciting times!

Leave a comment:

• Vicious49
    Dappered Veteran

• Vicious49
    replied

I third NC's nomination. I work from home so I'm usually on during the day when I've been noticing a lot of these spam posts lately. However, I haven't been around long enough and am nowhere near as helpful as some of the other users on here.

Leave a comment:

• glen_delossantos

• glen_delossantos
    replied

I'm excited to see the new changes. It really proves that "content is king". These forums are extremely basic in terms of features but the people and content grew the userbase regardless of aesthetics.

I second all of @nicholascrawford's nominations and second his nomination as well.

Leave a comment:

• Bulldoggery

• Bulldoggery
    replied

I'd be more than happy to contribute as a moderator, if anybody out there is willing to sign off on such a notion.

I'm online at odd hours (often between 2:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. Eastern time), which means I see a lot of this forum's auto-spam posts and could take care of them before people with normal schedules are up. Honestly, this site would be a fairly easy one to moderate, given that there's not a lot of contentiousness (at least none that I've seen); the moderator job would essentially be a "clean-up" job. I can do that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X