• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sideswipe
    replied
    Originally posted by armedferret View Post
    Anyone ever tried Kentucky Owl?
    I have a bottle but haven't opened it yet, will try to remember to post thoughts here when I do.

I might have mentioned this upthread already, but I've really been enjoying Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit lately. I snagged one of the cool old turkey-shaped bottles too, wish they'd kept that design.

Leave a comment:

• JohnR
    replied
    I'm really enjoying my bottle of Hancock President's Reserve. I think I paid $45 but was limited to one bottle - and it was the last in their allocation at the time. I generally prefer more heat but there's enough complexity in this to make up for the lower proof. If you spot any for under $50, I recommend picking one up.

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Anyone ever tried Kentucky Owl?

Leave a comment:

• JohnR
    replied
    That's pretty cool. A local place near me is bottling cocktails - and very generous pours from what he tells me - for $10 to go.

Shingles flare-ups are the pits!!! Good luck and hope it clears up soon.

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    If anyone's in the DC area this may interest you:

https://www.popville.com/2020/04/all...own-enjoyment/

I'm involuntarily locked down at the house for a while, may not be able to get out of bed for a few days.

Of all things, I came down with shingles late last week. Bad. Thankfully my civilian doc (with whom i frequently hunt and go to the range as well as just generally hang out, at least before the Quarantina Wine Mixer) only needed one photo via text to know exactly what was up and pushed a scrip to my local walgreens.

It's not my worst affliction. It definitely causes significant discomfort, though, it has to be said.

Anywho. Can't have bourbon on my Valtrex (yes, *THAT* Valtrex heh) but since it's Valtrex I guess that means I'll be having bonfires on the beach, and rollerblading with friends in no time right?

Stay safe y'all.

Leave a comment:

• ScottD
    replied
    Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
    Keep in mind that it's a single barrel product. Your bottle may be hot and corny, but the next might not be.

I've had bottles of McKenna BiB that were excellent, and I've had bottles that were just "pretty good." I will usually spend $35-$40 on the chance of getting an excellent bottle.

On the other hand, the distillery gift shop sells it for $60, which is a stretch.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Charles
    replied
    Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
    Keep in mind that it's a single barrel product. Your bottle may be hot and corny, but the next might not be.
    And you can bet that the sample that got them that "best whiskey" award was out of the very best barrel they could find - not some random barrel like you get off the shelf.

Leave a comment:

• Sideswipe
    replied
    Originally posted by armedferret View Post
    no photo but went with woodford double oaked last night. soooooo tasty.

not really fitting in the $20-$40 theme but worth it.
    Just picked up a bottle of this over the weekend - it's delightful.

Leave a comment:

• Sideswipe
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnR View Post
    I finally got my hands on the famed "Best SB Bourbon", "Best Whiskey", Henry McKenna 10 yr SB BIB. It's hot, especially on the nose, and spicy. I like the grain of the high corn content and it balances out the heat well. The finish is sweet but still a bit spicy. For a $40 bottle of whiskey, it's good. But it didn't blow me away as I was expecting and I don't know how some others could lose to it in a blind tasting. There are some complex flavors going on once you get past the heat (recommend a cap of water) and some of them are fruity and really nice. I just don't see that it's the best whiskey out there.

http://www.instagram.com/p/B-V3aY1AWqo/
    This has always been my experience with McKenna as well. It's a perfectly respectable bottle, and I definitely understand why it would be ranked highly in terms of value (esp. at its pre-"best whiskey" price point). But personally my experience with it never justified the scarcity/awards/overall buzz.

Leave a comment:

• JohnR
    replied
    Agreed. It just didn't impress enough to feel that it's worth the random grab, or even believe that the tasted bottles could have been so much better. Granted, I could be quite wrong about that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• mcadamsandwich
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnR View Post
    I finally got my hands on the famed "Best SB Bourbon", "Best Whiskey", Henry McKenna 10 yr SB BIB. It's hot, especially on the nose, and spicy. I like the grain of the high corn content and it balances out the heat well. The finish is sweet but still a bit spicy. For a $40 bottle of whiskey, it's good. But it didn't blow me away as I was expecting and I don't know how some others could lose to it in a blind tasting. There are some complex flavors going on once you get past the heat (recommend a cap of water) and some of them are fruity and really nice. I just don't see that it's the best whiskey out there.

Leave a comment:

• abh159
    replied
    If there is an upside to the "safer at home" orders it is that all of the liquor stores around me have moved to doing all online ordering and curbside pickup only. This seems to be preventing them from saving rare or allocated bottles for "special customers" since they now have to put all their inventory online.

Just this weekend I was able to get both a bottle of Blanton's and a Willett 4 year rye each for less than $50. Under normal circumstances neither of those would have ever even made it to she shelf in my area.

Leave a comment:

• JohnR
    replied

Last edited by JohnR; March 30, 2020, 10:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mcadamsandwich
    replied
    Originally posted by wsupjs View Post
    Nice score @armedferret! Is the Blanton's also a store pick or standard?

Full Proof has been the one from the Weller family I haven't been able to try yet..
    If you'd like a sample of one, shoot me a PM.

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by C.Dubs View Post
    Found Wellers SR at two local liquor stores this weekend. One place had it for $28, the other $45.

I ended up buying three bottles which is not hoarding. (A) I bought two bottles at $28/bottle and one at $45; (B) More was left at the stores than what I walked out with; (C) One bottle will be used as a gift in the near term; and (D) I wouldn't have bought the third bottle (at $45) but the owner was so excited to tell me he had it because I ask almost every time I go in. (Also, $45 is approaching the price point where I'd pass on it anyways because, as good as it is, charging $45 feels like a little much.)
    Nice!!

I can get Trace all day at the Walter Reed (as in the hospital) package store for $18 a bottle. It befuddles me to see people paying upwards of triple digits for it, but then that's supply/demand in action.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X