Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron
    replied
    I was looking for a local store that had a bottle of my friend's favorite wine. The closest store that had it was an hour away so my wife and I took a ride to purchase it.
    While on line at the checkout, my wife spied a lone bottle sitting on top of a locked display case of pricier items.

Fate can be kind.

Leave a comment:

• Ron
    replied
    Originally posted by armedferret View Post

realistically speaking.....you may wanna take the couple-hour drive to Frankfort/Bardstown and just shop there. Nash is notoriously bad.
    I would if I had a car and we weren't traveling with friends. Oh well.

Looking forward to reading about the trip.

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by Ron View Post
    I haven't been able to find either Eagle Rare or Blanton's anywhere here (Florida west coast).
    I met a gentleman last week who recently relocated from Kentucky and he expressed his dismay that the selection of bourbon isn't great here.
    I'm going to be in Nashville in a few weeks and I am hoping there is more selection.
    realistically speaking.....you may wanna take the couple-hour drive to Frankfort/Bardstown and just shop there. Nash is notoriously bad.

Leave a comment:

• Ron
    replied
    I haven't been able to find either Eagle Rare or Blanton's anywhere here (Florida west coast).
    I met a gentleman last week who recently relocated from Kentucky and he expressed his dismay that the selection of bourbon isn't great here.
    I'm going to be in Nashville in a few weeks and I am hoping there is more selection.
    Last edited by Ron; November 20, 2021, 10:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JohnR
    replied
    $43 Blanton's is the best morale, welfare, and recreation support ever!!!

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by drocpsu View Post
    I Started reading (re-reading?) this thread, and then realized at the bottom of page 1 that the original post was a year and a half ago, and that there are 9 more pages!

Good info in here. My "everyday" go-to is Eagle Rare, though I've been having a really hard time finding it here in New Hampshire lately. Elijah Craig has been filling in in the meantime.
    I am unbelievably lucky in that I can snag Eagle Rare for TWENTY-THREE DOLLARS A BOTTLE when it's in stock at the NEX (Navy Exchange, sorta the "walmart" of navy bases) at the Naval Academy in Annapolis. The downside being that they get it VERY rarely and it goes QUICK--even when limited to one bottle per person per day. Blanton's is a ridiculous $42.99 a bottle.

I was just in Louisville/Frankfort/Lexington/Bardstown over Veterans' day weekend and WHAT A TRIP THAT WAS (will be writing it up for the very lacking travel page i do). Turned out to be a freakin awesome weekend and I'm already planning a return trip.

Leave a comment:

• drocpsu
    replied
    I Started reading (re-reading?) this thread, and then realized at the bottom of page 1 that the original post was a year and a half ago, and that there are 9 more pages!

Good info in here. My "everyday" go-to is Eagle Rare, though I've been having a really hard time finding it here in New Hampshire lately. Elijah Craig has been filling in in the meantime.

Leave a comment:

• Ron
    replied
    I'm stocking up for the holidays. Perusing the selection in my local store I have several I am considering. I'd love opinions on any and all you may have tried.

Angel Envy
    Peerless Small Batch
    Window Jane 10 yr.
    Belle Meade Reserve
    George Dickel 15 yr. single barrel
    Heaven Hill 7 yr.

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by Ron View Post
    I'm going to resurrect this older thread. I'm refilling my liquor cabinet after a move. This week's addition were Buffalo Trace, Four Roses Single Barrel and Horse Soldier Signature Small Batch.

Although I usually drink my bourbon neet I was intrigued by the crystal clear ice cube makers.

Does any one have any recommendations?
    I've had good luck boiling distilled water in the past, but even distilled/boiled water can freeze cloudy. I stopped obsessing over it as life is already too stressful for worrying about that (at least for me--everyone's got different situations )

Leave a comment:

• Ron
    replied
    I'm going to resurrect this older thread. I'm refilling my liquor cabinet after a move. This week's addition were Buffalo Trace, Four Roses Single Barrel and Horse Soldier Signature Small Batch.

Although I usually drink my bourbon neet I was intrigued by the crystal clear ice cube makers.

Does any one have any recommendations?

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by Swashgene View Post

Exotic! Would probably taste smoother with that bit of history!
    It's pretty tasty stuff. I'm going to splurge on a barrel proof next go, once the existing bottle is done.

Leave a comment:

• Swashgene
    replied
    Originally posted by armedferret View Post
    Okay, we had one before, and now that there's a new post about it, let's discuss it again.

In late September 2001, a handful of Green Berets (and some CIA fellas) were dropped off in Northern Afghanistan to start taking the fight to the Taliban. They got around on horseback regularly, becoming known as the Horse Soldiers. Some of them make some absolutely magnificent bourbon now.

In addition to the Blanton's and Horse Soldier, the shelf also currently holds Maker's, Yellowstone, Woodford Double Oaked, 1792, 1876, Six and Twenty, and of course a couple bottles of Buffalo Trace.
    Exotic! Would probably taste smoother with that bit of history!

Leave a comment:

• JohnR
    replied
    This didn't disappoint

I've been keeping my eyes open for a bottle of Ezra 7 Yr BS for years and happened upon two of them this week. I knew the hype was that it's a brilliant $40 bottle, but I had to pay $60 and was worried I'd regret it at that price. I don't. Happy that I bought them both, in fact.

Leave a comment:

• JohnR
    replied
    Lovely! That 10 year is one of the nicest drinking 100 proof ryes I can recall ever having

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Found a Whistlepig store pick (private barrel) labeled as "10 year" but barreled in 2004 so....that makes it a 17 year.

It's fantastic.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X