Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New bourbon thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I suppose if you're considering the secondary market price, the markup isn't unreasonable. But the Weller, for example, is a 10X markup over its retail price. I'm good with paying hotel and restaurant markups and frequent traveling sort of necessitates it. But I struggle with the notion of paying prices that are inflated by scarcity. Perhaps it's more about the cost to do something you won't get another chance to do?? I guess I can see the reasoning there.

    Comment


      Originally posted by JohnR View Post
      I suppose if you're considering the secondary market price, the markup isn't unreasonable. But the Weller, for example, is a 10X markup over its retail price. I'm good with paying hotel and restaurant markups and frequent traveling sort of necessitates it. But I struggle with the notion of paying prices that are inflated by scarcity. Perhaps it's more about the cost to do something you won't get another chance to do?? I guess I can see the reasoning there.
      Meh, 10x isn't unheard of for rare/allocated pours. Some restaurants have to source bottles from vendors or secondary markets because of scarcity, so you could be paying for that, too. I'd be more upset with paying $30 for Widow Jane.. lol

      Here's an upscale restaurant in Nashville.

      https://nashvillebourbonsteak.com/wp...rageBook-1.pdf

      Comment


        Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post

        Meh, 10x isn't unheard of for rare/allocated pours. Some restaurants have to source bottles from vendors or secondary markets because of scarcity, so you could be paying for that, too. I'd be more upset with paying $30 for Widow Jane.. lol

        Here's an upscale restaurant in Nashville.

        https://nashvillebourbonsteak.com/wp...rageBook-1.pdf
        I had Eagle Rare 17 today and the bartender was the consummate gentlefeller and poured me a taste of the VW family reserve 13yr rye.

        Bruh.

        BRUH.

        I went to Frankfort heaven today.
        https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

        Comment


          Two-oak Twosday.


          IMG_20210323_192045_921 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr
          https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

          Comment


            You should have two then!

            That's a tasty one, indeed.

            Comment


              Originally posted by JohnR View Post
              You should have two then!

              That's a tasty one, indeed.
              Should but cutting back on a lot of things and this is one of them. Summer's comin gotta get the thighs a lil slimmer 😘
              https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

              Comment


                I am scheduled for my second shot (vaccine, not bourbon) on April 8. One of my partners has already received both of his. We are both whisky aficionados and will resume our tasting parties around the end of April. I want to celebrate in a big way! I love Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 20, but I'm not going to celebrate $2,000 worth (the one time we've gone out since Covid, the bar was selling it for $50 a shot--and after I tasted it, I felt it would have been a good value at twice that).

                But I would celebrate to the tune of $300 to $400 for a new bottle of something I haven't tried before. Any suggestions?
                WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                Comment


                  Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                  I am scheduled for my second shot (vaccine, not bourbon) on April 8. One of my partners has already received both of his. We are both whisky aficionados and will resume our tasting parties around the end of April. I want to celebrate in a big way! I love Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 20, but I'm not going to celebrate $2,000 worth (the one time we've gone out since Covid, the bar was selling it for $50 a shot--and after I tasted it, I felt it would have been a good value at twice that).

                  But I would celebrate to the tune of $300 to $400 for a new bottle of something I haven't tried before. Any suggestions?
                  Nothing with an MSRP in that range is "worth it" to me, except Michter's 20, but plenty of bottles trading in that range are fantastic.

                  * Any of the BTAC collection, if you can find it, is a great value. George T Stagg, Eagle Rare 17, William Larue Weller, etc. (MSRP $100-125)

                  * Weller 12 is, essentially, the same as Van Winkle Lot B 12 year. You should be able to snag one of those from someone for under $200 (MSRP $40).

                  * Blanton's Straight From the Barrel is great, too. Should be able to find one for under $200 on secondary sites (MSRP $150).

                  * Wild Turkey Master's Keep 17yr Bottled in Bond is a true limited edition. Fantastic. (MSRP $180-200)

                  Comment


                    My second shot caused about 36 hours of misery, so don't make any plans. Don't read that as gospel, obviously every individual is different (wife and i both got pfizer she had no side effects i had....all of them) but better to have the time open and nothing planned than to have to cancel stuff. Woke up at 1:15 am with a 103* fever, which also came with severe body and headache. Never got back to sleep, but did progress into full-on convulsions, not just shivers, for a couple hours. Then back to just being feverish until around 9pm, which eventually broke overnight and now my extremely sweaty bedding is in the washing machine.

                    Again, I'm not trying to scare anyone on or off the stuff, just providing my own personal experience to help prepare folks. Plan for the worst, hope for the best kinda scenario.

                    Also second everything Adam said especially the Weller 12.
                    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by armedferret View Post
                      My second shot caused about 36 hours of misery, so don't make any plans. Don't read that as gospel, obviously every individual is different (wife and i both got pfizer she had no side effects i had....all of them) but better to have the time open and nothing planned than to have to cancel stuff. Woke up at 1:15 am with a 103* fever, which also came with severe body and headache. Never got back to sleep, but did progress into full-on convulsions, not just shivers, for a couple hours. Then back to just being feverish until around 9pm, which eventually broke overnight and now my extremely sweaty bedding is in the washing machine.

                      Again, I'm not trying to scare anyone on or off the stuff, just providing my own personal experience to help prepare folks. Plan for the worst, hope for the best kinda scenario.

                      Also second everything Adam said especially the Weller 12.
                      Not going to have the party until three weeks after the shot. If I'm not recovered from any side effects by then, I'll probably be dead.
                      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post

                        Not going to have the party until three weeks after the shot. If I'm not recovered from any side effects by then, I'll probably be dead.
                        I'm probably not going to have a party until we reach herd immunity as even if I've been vaccinated maybe a lot of people on the guest list haven't been and I wouldn't want my party to be a super spreader event amongst my friends. But, even though I'll 52 in a couple months I still haven't been vaccinated and am not even eligible to be vaccinated here in Maryland yet. I may have to make an appointment and drive out to the West Virginia panhandle or somewhere in PA to get a shot if I want one before May 1st at this rate.
                        “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by mark4 View Post

                          I'm probably not going to have a party until we reach herd immunity as even if I've been vaccinated maybe a lot of people on the guest list haven't been and I wouldn't want my party to be a super spreader event amongst my friends. But, even though I'll 52 in a couple months I still haven't been vaccinated and am not even eligible to be vaccinated here in Maryland yet. I may have to make an appointment and drive out to the West Virginia panhandle or somewhere in PA to get a shot if I want one before May 1st at this rate.
                          Not to worry--Just gonna be a whiskey tasting party with two or three other vaccinated people.
                          WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by mark4 View Post

                            I'm probably not going to have a party until we reach herd immunity as even if I've been vaccinated maybe a lot of people on the guest list haven't been and I wouldn't want my party to be a super spreader event amongst my friends. But, even though I'll 52 in a couple months I still haven't been vaccinated and am not even eligible to be vaccinated here in Maryland yet. I may have to make an appointment and drive out to the West Virginia panhandle or somewhere in PA to get a shot if I want one before May 1st at this rate.

                            You can get vaccinated at the Baltimore Convention Center site that UMD/JHU are hosting. *ANYONE* can go get vaxed you just have to get on the mailing list and schedule your first appt as soon as you get the email inviting you to.

                            That's where I got my shots, and that's where a bunch of folks in my unit have gotten theirs too since the .mil told us we weren't eligible until June.
                            https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

                            Comment


                              Well it wasn't MSRP but it also was a good sight off open secondary (WAY closer to MSRP than secondary thats for sure) so I finally got my MWND.


                              2021-04-01_07-13-46 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr
                              https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

                              Comment


                                I'm generally not a big rye fan, but that MWND is one of my favorite bottles! I hope you enjoy it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X