New bourbon thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
    Meanwhile in TX you can walk into Spec's and walk out with a Handy, Eagle 17, and GTS in a single trip.
    Not accurate at all. I've been to every Spec's in Dallas and walked away with nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post

Not accurate at all. I've been to every Spec's in Dallas and walked away with nothing.
      Sorry I should have specified.

Houston.
      https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

The east coast in general has the mob tactics/nepotism like nobody's business. MD is basically a handful of families control all distribution, and if you don't want to sell to *THEIR* distributors, you can't ship your stuff to the state, period. Only place I can find Horse Soldier is at Reed or Annapolis in the NEX. Same place I got Blanton's for 43 bucks lol......meanwhile half a mile away it's $150 "because that's what our distributor charges us." Obviously I don't believe that line for a second but they're known to charge above MSRP for certain stuff.
        Yep, you nailed it. Not just booze; the east coast is full of all kinds of archaic laws from Ye Olden Days. No hunting on Sunday? Really?

I'm with you on Wally World! The Class Six, oh excuse me, Package Store, there is the one place I can reliably stock up on Buffalo Trace. And for a nice price, too! I've been looking at the Horse Soldier (Ft. Belvoir and Quantico have it too). The bottle is awesome, but its a little out of my comfort range for a blind buy. What's it like?

Comment

Originally posted by tankerjohn View Post

Yep, you nailed it. Not just booze; the east coast is full of all kinds of archaic laws from Ye Olden Days. No hunting on Sunday? Really?

I'm with you on Wally World! The Class Six, oh excuse me, Package Store, there is the one place I can reliably stock up on Buffalo Trace. And for a nice price, too! I've been looking at the Horse Soldier (Ft. Belvoir and Quantico have it too). The bottle is awesome, but its a little out of my comfort range for a blind buy. What's it like?
          I can only comment firsthand on the "Signature Small Batch", the "middle" bottle with the gold label. It's fantastic. A perfect blend of sweetness with a bit of spice, *REALLY* exceptional with steaks or burgers. Terrible paired with a dessert though.

Seriously I really dig the stuff. The fact Reed has it for under 60 bucks makes it even better.

It's a really well balanced sipper.

Comment

I *MAY* be getting something from the BTAC line soon. Not sure yet, may fall thru, who knows. But.....for once I'm shaking with excitement and not SOLELY because of preworkout.
            Good luck! I managed to win the state BTAC lotto here two years ago and got a bottle of William Larue Weller. It's the best bourbon I've ever had the opportunity to taste.

Comment

I can only comment firsthand on the "Signature Small Batch", the "middle" bottle with the gold label. It's fantastic. A perfect blend of sweetness with a bit of spice, *REALLY* exceptional with steaks or burgers. Terrible paired with a dessert though.

Seriously I really dig the stuff. The fact Reed has it for under 60 bucks makes it even better.

It's a really well balanced sipper.
              Thanks. That sounds nice. Not too much rye, then? That's good. I don't really like any of the "high rye" bourbons I've tried. I'll have to give it go sometime.

Comment

Terrible paired with a dessert though.
                I've got brandy for that!

Comment

MD isn't well-stocked at all. If we want BTAC we have to pray we're special enough (think nepotism on an epic scale) to get "chosen" to buy one.

Meanwhile in TX you can walk into Spec's and walk out with a Handy, Eagle 17, and GTS in a single trip.

The east coast in general has the mob tactics/nepotism like nobody's business. MD is basically a handful of families control all distribution, and if you don't want to sell to *THEIR* distributors, you can't ship your stuff to the state, period. Only place I can find Horse Soldier is at Reed or Annapolis in the NEX. Same place I got Blanton's for 43 bucks lol......meanwhile half a mile away it's $150 "because that's what our distributor charges us." Obviously I don't believe that line for a second but they're known to charge above MSRP for certain stuff.
                  I stand corrected. Honestly the DC stores are generally more convenient for me so I really haven't looked for anything that's hard to find at the MD State stores. I suspected there was some graft and corruption that keeps MD the way it is with regard to alcohol sales. I'm mostly a craft beer guy and the MD liquor stores are useless for that so looking for beer generally takes me to DC, where I generally just stock up on liquor too. As I said upthread, you're talking to a guy whose bourbon most nights (assuming I drink bourbon and not something else) is Wild Turkey 101 and my experience with MD liquor stores is they pretty much always have that in stock. Now that I think about it I did go in looking for Buffalo Trace once at one of those stores and they didn't have it. I do wish they could drum the corruption out of MD - where I grew up in Michigan you just go to the grocery store to get booze. I mean we have liquor stores too but they're not State liquor stores. I suspected that MD is the way it is because a select few benefit from the way it is. At least we're not Pennsylvania...in MD one can at least get beer and wine at some grocery and other convenience stores. In PA you have to go to a bar's "bottle shop" to even buy beer.
                  “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by tankerjohn View Post

I've got brandy for that!
                    I like Grand Marnier for that. I have a Marie Duffau Napoleon Armanac that also works and is a pretty nice sipper for the price.
                    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post

I stand corrected. Honestly the DC stores are generally more convenient for me so I really haven't looked for anything that's hard to find at the MD State stores. I suspected there was some graft and corruption that keeps MD the way it is with regard to alcohol sales. I'm mostly a craft beer guy and the MD liquor stores are useless for that so looking for beer generally takes me to DC, where I generally just stock up on liquor too. As I said upthread, you're talking to a guy whose bourbon most nights (assuming I drink bourbon and not something else) is Wild Turkey 101 and my experience with MD liquor stores is they pretty much always have that in stock. Now that I think about it I did go in looking for Buffalo Trace once at one of those stores and they didn't have it. I do wish they could drum the corruption out of MD - where I grew up in Michigan you just go to the grocery store to get booze. I mean we have liquor stores too but they're not State liquor stores. I suspected that MD is the way it is because a select few benefit from the way it is. At least we're not Pennsylvania...in MD one can at least get beer and wine at some grocery and other convenience stores. In PA you have to go to a bar's "bottle shop" to even buy beer.
                      I grew up in Iowa. I miss picking up a 12 pack at HyVee on the way to the ISU marching band parties.

Comment

I grew up in Iowa. I miss picking up a 12 pack at HyVee on the way to the ISU marching band parties.
                        Even DC, liberated as it is compared to MD, VA, and PA is positively draconian by midwest standards. Most grocery stores didn't even stock beer and wine until a few years back, I'm guessing because they couldn't. They still can't stock the hard stuff. Then liquor stores were closed on Sundays until about 8 years ago...so you're having a party to watch an NFL game on Sunday? Better stock up the day before. Thankfully for me I gave up on the NFL when I moved to DC because I couldn't get behind the Washington Football Club. I did for about a half season go to a sports bar to watch the Lions, and then just was like, you know what, loyalty is a two way street and this franchise just has not earned that level of commitment by, like, winning, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post

Even DC, liberated as it is compared to MD, VA, and PA is positively draconian by midwest standards. Most grocery stores didn't even stock beer and wine until a few years back, I'm guessing because they couldn't. They still can't stock the hard stuff. Then liquor stores were closed on Sundays until about 8 years ago...so you're having a party to watch an NFL game on Sunday? Better stock up the day before. Thankfully for me I gave up on the NFL when I moved to DC because I couldn't get behind the Washington Football Club. I did for about a half season go to a sports bar to watch the Lions, and then just was like, you know what, loyalty is a two way street and this franchise just has not earned that level of commitment by, like, winning, ever.

F1 should be interesting this season.

Currently standing 3 blocks from Rue Bourbon, waiting on someone to finish up her aesthetics and then off to find a po boy and PROBABLY something wet and delicious.

Comment

Been having a great time in the Garden District today, stopped for a frozen pomegranate mojito and what would you know, a line of BTAC along the wall!! Instantly i asked how much a pour was of some. Having had George T Stagg previously I was keen on trying something else. Well the Pappy 23 was calling me. Then reality set in and i spent 25% as much for a pour of Thomas H Handy Sazerac from the 2019 line.

Holy moly fellers. It's just as incredible as the GTS is.

IMG_20210312_170041_457 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Comment

Beats blowin the cash at Joseph A Bank....

IMG_20210314_125118_738 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Comment

Pricing really isn't that bad, all considered. We killed a bottle of GTS 2018 at a local bar when pours were like $15.

Comment

Working...
                                X