Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
    Happy Bottled In Bond day!!
    😁 A holiday I didn't know I needed! Gonna get myself a bottle of Old Grandad bonded, Ian Flemming's bourbon (pun encouraged). You won't regret spending $25 on it.

Comment

Originally posted by abh159 View Post

Eagle Rare and Four Roses Single Barrell are my go to everyday drinkers. Although finding ER on the shelves in my area has gotten far more difficult than it should be.

If you like wheated bourbons Larceny's base option is pretty good although I don't know that I'd consider it a hidden gem. Belle Meade's base option is also a solid one.
      Your "everyday" approaches my top shelf. My everyday is Wild Turkey 101...inexpensive, tasty and always in stock unlike most of the Buffalo Trace products. Wild Turkey's mid shelf tier - the Russell's Reserve line - also offers good bang for the buck. I can often find their 10 year at around $40 a bottle, sometimes less. I like Four Roses too. I save my "top shelf" bucks mostly for Scotch. Maybe that's dumb but I'm roughly a half century old, and for a large chunk of my life Scotch was the high class stuff you spent money on and bourbon was for everyday drinkin' - taste at a reasonable price point. I can remember back when Knob Creek was introduced in an attempt to broaden the appeal of the idea of top shelf bourbon. I guess I've had 30 years now to cotton to that idea - that bourbon expressions can be just and complex and high falutin' as Scotch - but the impressions of youth die hard.
      “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post

Your "everyday" approaches my top shelf. My everyday is Wild Turkey 101...inexpensive, tasty and always in stock unlike most of the Buffalo Trace products. Wild Turkey's mid shelf tier - the Russell's Reserve line - also offers good bang for the buck. I can often find their 10 year at around $40 a bottle, sometimes less. I like Four Roses too. I save my "top shelf" bucks mostly for Scotch. Maybe that's dumb but I'm roughly a half century old, and for a large chunk of my life Scotch was the high class stuff you spent money on and bourbon was for everyday drinkin' - taste at a reasonable price point. I can remember back when Knob Creek was introduced in an attempt to broaden the appeal of the idea of top shelf bourbon. I guess I've had 30 years now to cotton to that idea - that bourbon expressions can be just and complex and high falutin' as Scotch - but the impressions of youth die hard.
        That's an interesting perspective but, being a half-century (plus a few) myself, I'd have to say there's a ring of truth in it. Having said that, most of my top shelf is bourbon or rye and it seems to me that in the same price point, I find most of them to have more character and complexity than Scotch. Even still, when I pour a Scotch, I won't deny that it makes me feel just a bit more sophisticated and refined

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR View Post

That's an interesting perspective but, being a half-century (plus a few) myself, I'd have to say there's a ring of truth in it. Having said that, most of my top shelf is bourbon or rye and it seems to me that in the same price point, I find most of them to have more character and complexity than Scotch. Even still, when I pour a Scotch, I won't deny that it makes me feel just a bit more sophisticated and refined
          I have no doubt that that dollar for dollar bourbon is probably on average as good if not better than Scotch. But Scotch has long had the rep as the most sophisticated whisky out there so people are willing to spend more for it. If you have a reasonably priced rye you could rec I am just starting to branch out into those. I've heard good things about Wild Turkey's ryes, especially the Russel's Reserve 6 year rye, but am not married to that brand. Sazerac I've heard is good and Rittenhouse has a decent rep too. There's a local product - Sagamore - I may try at some point (I'm in DC and they're in Baltimore but close enough to be considered local). I've also heard Dickel's (the second name in Tennessee Whiskey) makes a pretty good one.
          “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I have no doubt that that dollar for dollar bourbon is probably on average as good if not better than Scotch. But Scotch has long had the rep as the most sophisticated whisky out there so people are willing to spend more for it. If you have a reasonably priced rye you could rec I am just starting to branch out into those. I've heard good things about Wild Turkey's ryes, especially the Russel's Reserve 6 year rye, but am not married to that brand. Sazerac I've heard is good and Rittenhouse has a decent rep too. There's a local product - Sagamore - I may try at some point (I'm in DC and they're in Baltimore but close enough to be considered local). I've also heard Dickel's (the second name in Tennessee Whiskey) makes a pretty good one.
            Templeton (as an Iowa native I always gotta rep it!!) and Sazerac are the go-tos in our house for an inexpensive but flavorful rye. Connecticut Ave Liquors in Dupont Circle had at least 2 bottles of the Willett family reserve 4-year rye which I would recommend seeing if they have any more that weren't on the shelf when I was there last (sorry, i snagged both bottles--it's AMAZING!!). It's got a heavy brandied cherry flavor and a nice long finish, but doesn't have nearly the heat you'd expect from the proof.

1 West Dupont has just about *EVERYTHING* you can think of, though expect to pay secondary for the hard to find stuff. I don't know if they'll haggle on that at all.
            https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Of course it really depends where "reasonably priced" is for you but in the Sagamore (good stuff) and Russel's range, I also like High West Double Rye. For a few dollars more, and in the Willett range (totally agree with that one!) I think Michter's US1 is quite solid and very approachable. I'm also drawn to Pikesville 110 and that's long been my higher proof go-to bottle. I've never been a huge fan of Rittenhouse, despite it's reputation, but have always enjoyed Dickel's at that price point.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR View Post
                Of course it really depends where "reasonably priced" is for you but in the Sagamore (good stuff) and Russel's range, I also like High West Double Rye. For a few dollars more, and in the Willett range (totally agree with that one!) I think Michter's US1 is quite solid and very approachable. I'm also drawn to Pikesville 110 and that's long been my higher proof go-to bottle. I've never been a huge fan of Rittenhouse, despite it's reputation, but have always enjoyed Dickel's at that price point.
                Dickel's, Sazerac and Templeton are all in the affordable range. The only one I've ever had a bottle of (had Old Overholt at the bar a few times) is a rye from a Grand Rapids, MI distiller that used to be called Gray Skies but after settling a trademark dispute with someone or other now is called Eastern Kille. Gray Skies Rye had a nice ring to it name-wise, and I liked it but have little basis for comparison. I'll probably use one of those three as a starting point.

I'm in TKPK MD so Dupont Circle is a bit of a trek. We have a decent little liquor store right by the metro station that often has hard to find bottles in stock. They generally have Blanton's pretty much every time I walk in - it's mostly too rich for my blood (for bourbon, I've spent that much on Scotch) but I always look up there to see if they have it because I have a buddy that is always looking for it. He lives in NoVa so I'll occasionally pick up a bottle for him. I think they have it in stock because while Takoma Park is not low rent it's not quite as high rent as NW DC and Bethesda/Potomac so there's a smaller proportion of people looking for top shelf liquor.

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
                  1 West Dupont has just about *EVERYTHING* you can think of, though expect to pay secondary for the hard to find stuff. I don't know if they'll haggle on that at all.
                  Nope, Prav (the owner) doesn't have to haggle when people come in and pay cash. He's very wealthy. Met him once here in Nashville.

Comment

Splurged a few weeks back. Didn't pay MSRP, but wasn't anywhere CLOSE to secondary either.

Delicious stuff.

IMG_20210211_170742_707 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Comment

Got a few bottles of this for $43 per recently, so it's becoming more of an "ordinary" pour around my house.

drill by Armed Ferret, on Flickr

Comment

Great price on that! My guy always holds a couple in the back for me but I, too, have the problem of making a habit of it.

Comment

I *MAY* be getting something from the BTAC line soon. Not sure yet, may fall thru, who knows. But.....for once I'm shaking with excitement and not SOLELY because of preworkout.

Comment

I always look up there to see if they have it because I have a buddy that is always looking for it. He lives in NoVa so I'll occasionally pick up a bottle for him.
                            As a resident of The Commonwealth, I find that most amusing. Yeah, you better know someone on the inside or have the delivery trucks staked out if you want anything good from the ABC store. Gotta love state-owned capitalism!

Comment

Originally posted by tankerjohn View Post
                              As a resident of The Commonwealth, I find that most amusing. Yeah, you better know someone on the inside or have the delivery trucks staked out if you want anything good from the ABC store. Gotta love state-owned capitalism!
                              Yeah he couldn't find Blanton's anywhere but maybe the situation has changed since he last gave me account of the saga of his search, which was a couple years back. Maryland's liquor stores seem to be pretty well stocked, though not as well as the DC stores, and honestly I haven't looked for anything hard to find in them. The store on the DC border is more convenient than any of the Maryland State stores for me anyway. Plus, I'm mostly a craft beer guy and the Maryland stores have pretty lackluster beer selections and they are, for reasons I can't explain, not allowed to have coolers to keep the beer cold. It's all very weird coming from Michigan where you can get full proof liquor, beer and wine at pretty much every grocery store that wants to stock it.

DC is both cheaper and the selection is better in my experience. I used to live in the neighborhood where Connecticut Ave crosses into Chevy Chase...there's three very well stocked liquor stores within a 3-4 blocks of the Maryland border and they're there for a reason.

Comment

Yeah he couldn't find Blanton's anywhere but maybe the situation has changed since he last gave me account of the saga of his search, which was a couple years back. Maryland's liquor stores seem to be pretty well stocked, though not as well as the DC stores, and honestly I haven't looked for anything hard to find in them. The store on the DC border is more convenient than any of the Maryland State stores for me anyway. Plus, I'm mostly a craft beer guy and the Maryland stores have pretty lackluster beer selections and they are, for reasons I can't explain, not allowed to have coolers to keep the beer cold. It's all very weird coming from Michigan where you can get full proof liquor, beer and wine at pretty much every grocery store that wants to stock it.

DC is both cheaper and the selection is better in my experience. I used to live in the neighborhood where Connecticut Ave crosses into Chevy Chase...there's three very well stocked liquor stores within a 3-4 blocks of the Maryland border and they're there for a reason.

MD isn't well-stocked at all. If we want BTAC we have to pray we're special enough (think nepotism on an epic scale) to get "chosen" to buy one.

Meanwhile in TX you can walk into Spec's and walk out with a Handy, Eagle 17, and GTS in a single trip.

The east coast in general has the mob tactics/nepotism like nobody's business. MD is basically a handful of families control all distribution, and if you don't want to sell to *THEIR* distributors, you can't ship your stuff to the state, period. Only place I can find Horse Soldier is at Reed or Annapolis in the NEX. Same place I got Blanton's for 43 bucks lol......meanwhile half a mile away it's $150 "because that's what our distributor charges us." Obviously I don't believe that line for a second but they're known to charge above MSRP for certain stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X