No announcement yet.

New bourbon thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's pretty cool. A local place near me is bottling cocktails - and very generous pours from what he tells me - for $10 to go.

Shingles flare-ups are the pits!!! Good luck and hope it clears up soon.

Comment

Anyone ever tried Kentucky Owl?
      https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

I'm really enjoying my bottle of Hancock President's Reserve. I think I paid $45 but was limited to one bottle - and it was the last in their allocation at the time. I generally prefer more heat but there's enough complexity in this to make up for the lower proof. If you spot any for under $50, I recommend picking one up.

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
          Anyone ever tried Kentucky Owl?
          I have a bottle but haven't opened it yet, will try to remember to post thoughts here when I do.

I might have mentioned this upthread already, but I've really been enjoying Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit lately. I snagged one of the cool old turkey-shaped bottles too, wish they'd kept that design.
          “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
          "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

Just found this thread. Some really nice collections and samplings here. I was inspired to look for a bourbon thread when I saw today's post on bourbon and was a little taken aback at Peerless being labeled overpriced, though I can get it for ~$60 a bottle for the small batch and that's what they were charging at the distillery. Hit some other on-site stores that were open while I was there as well. A few of these are still unopened so excited to try them and what better time than now?

Collection as of now:
            Willett Pot Still Reserve
            Old Grand Dad 114
            Suntory Hibiki
            Suntory Toki
            Whistlepig 10
            Bluegrass Distillers High Rye Bottled in Bond
            Johnny Smoking Gun
            Colonel Taylor Small Batch
            Old Forester
            Kirkland Small Batch
            Four Roses Private Selection OBSV
            Four Roses Single Barrel OBSV
            Eagle Rare
            Blanton's Single Barrel
            Woodford Reserve

Comment

This weekend I just celebrated my 40th. I opened two bottles to celebrate Sam Houston 14 year, I really enjoyed this and Michter's 10 year, which is always good.

My wife got me a bottle of Kentucky Owl 10 year Rye. We have a cabin booked for early December and will be enjoying this by a fire. Never had it but looking forward to it.

Comment

I recently picked up High West's 'A Midwinter Nights Dram' as well as Maker's Mark 2020 Wood Finishing Series. Both are very good. The Maker's is very similar to Old Weller Antique 107 to me.

Comment

I made a pano.

Saz, Eagle, and Trace I have multiples.

20201126_142049 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by CavemanLawyer View Post
                    Just found this thread. Some really nice collections and samplings here. I was inspired to look for a bourbon thread when I saw today's post on bourbon and was a little taken aback at Peerless being labeled overpriced, though I can get it for ~$60 a bottle for the small batch and that's what they were charging at the distillery. Hit some other on-site stores that were open while I was there as well. A few of these are still unopened so excited to try them and what better time than now?

Collection as of now:
                    Willett Pot Still Reserve
                    Old Grand Dad 114
                    Suntory Hibiki
                    Suntory Toki
                    Whistlepig 10
                    Bluegrass Distillers High Rye Bottled in Bond
                    Johnny Smoking Gun
                    Colonel Taylor Small Batch
                    Old Forester
                    Kirkland Small Batch
                    Four Roses Private Selection OBSV
                    Four Roses Single Barrel OBSV
                    Eagle Rare
                    Blanton's Single Barrel
                    Woodford Reserve
                    Happy to see Suntory getting some love. Hibiki Harmony, in particular, is a stunning blend. Perfect gateway into Japanese whiskeys.

Comment

I made a pano.

Saz, Eagle, and Trace I have multiples.

20201126_142049 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr
                      Nice! I need to be stocking up on multiples, myself. We go through A LOT of whiskey and I end up tapping into my favorite top-shelf bottles far too often. Can't even count how many Blanton's I've emptied over the past few years and it's a bit too spendy as a daily drinker!

I do like the Eagle for a daily drinker. Lately my wife's been liking Redwood Empire (and always been a fan of Four Roses). Any hidden gem recs for daily drinkers?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR View Post
                        Nice! I need to be stocking up on multiples, myself. We go through A LOT of whiskey and I end up tapping into my favorite top-shelf bottles far too often. Can't even count how many Blanton's I've emptied over the past few years and it's a bit too spendy as a daily drinker!

I do like the Eagle for a daily drinker. Lately my wife's been liking Redwood Empire (and always been a fan of Four Roses). Any hidden gem recs for daily drinkers?
                        Eagle Rare and Four Roses Single Barrell are my go to everyday drinkers. Although finding ER on the shelves in my area has gotten far more difficult than it should be.

If you like wheated bourbons Larceny's base option is pretty good although I don't know that I'd consider it a hidden gem. Belle Meade's base option is also a solid one.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR View Post

If you can find it, Ancient Ancient Age 10 Star is essentially Blanton's in batched form for roughly $15.

Comment

Gonna go out on a limb and guess I'm the first among this crowd to get hands on spy hooch....

20201218_085853 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

20201218_085844 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Comment

Gonna go out on a limb and guess I'm the first among this crowd to get hands on spy hooch....

20201218_085853 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

20201218_085844 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr
                              Be careful not to leak any

Comment

Happy Bottled In Bond day!!

Comment

Working...
                                X