No announcement yet.

New bourbon thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big fan of Weller Special Reserve if i can find it. Hard to beat the quality or the price.

New liquor store opened up down the street. Went in to ask if they had any Wellers. They didn't, but was promised that they were due a shipment (last) Friday and they would hold a bottle for me. They didn't. The search continues.

Comment

Buffalo Trace with my buddy to cap off the night (and ring in the 4-day weekend).

meseeks_bourbon by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr
      https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sideswipe View Post
        Good list of solid value bourbons I thought, and sounds like i need to keep an eye out for Horse Solider.

Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare are generally my everyday go-to's (I agree with everything you said about ER [MENTION=18067]abh159[/MENTION]), but Wild Turkey 101 is great stuff for the $20-$25 price range.
        Buffalo Trace is my go to. $25 for 750 mL and it's very smooth.

I use it for Manhattans, Sours, and Sidecars. I've tried others and then find myself saying to myself, "Why didn't I just buy more Buffalo Trace?"

If I want something neat, I break out my single malts.

Comment

Originally posted by ElDub View Post
          Buffalo Trace is my go to. $25 for 750 mL and it's very smooth.

I use it for Manhattans, Sours, and Sidecars. I've tried others and then find myself saying to myself, "Why didn't I just buy more Buffalo Trace?"

If I want something neat, I break out my single malts.
          See if you can find some Buffalo Trace store picks, those are always better neat IMO.

Comment

Four Roses yellow label is my daily driver, you just can't beat that value. Around this time most years I'll have a bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked kicking around too from Christmas, I'm a Woodford guy in general but the Double Oaked is just untouchable. Super smooth, tons of brown sugar and baking spice, really solid bourbon to enjoy on a quiet night in. It is pricey though, north of $60 most places, but I think it's worth the price.

Comment

no photo but went with woodford double oaked last night. soooooo tasty.

not really fitting in the $20-$40 theme but worth it.

Comment

For bourbon what I basically always have on my cart.

Four Roses single barrel
                EH Taylor Small Batch
                WL Weller Special Reserve
                Larceny
                Angel’s Envy

Trying to get some Weller 107 or Full Proof but haven’t had the option yet.

Comment

How did I not see this thread before today....

So far my collection consists of:

Weller SR
                  Weller Antique 107
                  Weller 12
                  Van Winkle 12 year Special Reserve (Lot B)
                  Willett 4 Year Rye
                  Willett Pot Still Bourbon
                  Buffalo Trace
                  High West A Midwinter Night's Dram
                  Maker's Mark RC6
                  Blanton's
                  Elmer T. Lee
                  William Larue Weller (BTAC)
                  Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

I like all of these, but my personal favorites are the Weller 107, MWND, WLW, and ECBP. For the price, Buffalo Trace is hard to beat, though it's getting harder to find. I like the Blanton's, ETL and Van Winkle Lot B, but honestly, I don't think they live up to the hype or the pricing they sometimes command. They are all solid bourbons, but particularly in the case of the Lot B, it's not worth the cost compared to Weller 12 which is cheaper, better (IMHO) and slightly easier to get a hold of.

Of the hard to find bourbons I have, the WLW is my top pick and one I would spend the time and money to hunt down. The 107 is hard to find in my area, but also worth the hunt. The W12 is good, but I prefer the 107.

Out of all of these, my top pick is probably the ECBP (currently). It's $65, readily available and absolutely delicious.

Comment

andrewrg- I agree with the OGD Bonded but not necessarily for the reason of drinking it neat. Rather, I think it makes some of the best Old Fashions due to the high proof being able to stand up to the simple syrup and orange while the nuanced flavors that you mention still come through as a result of that higher proof. While other bonded bourbons (Evan Williams, Jim B etc) could be used, I find they are simply lacking when compared to the the OGD Bonded in that drink.
                    Last edited by ajk170; March 3, 2020, 06:47 PM. Reason: Provide clarity

Comment

Last time i was at the Walter Reed class 6 they had 4 cases of buffalo trace. Not exactly hard to find.

Comment

I installed Tapatalk and discovered that there are discussions taking place in other forums on this site. Ha! And I thought it was just all about clothes and fashion around here.

So... Not exactly sure what this thread is covering since the whiskey selections include things other than bourbon and in a very wide price range. That being said...

My go-to has always been Blanton's and "my guy" keeps a bottle in the back for me most times.
                        My wife's go-to is either Angel's Envy or Four Roses (the new "Select" is quite good, BTW) so we typically have those in stock as well. Oh... And HW Campfire. She loves her some Campfire!
                        But we drink such a variety that it's hard to even say what our daily drinker is. We have a half-dozen open at any one time and they typically vary. Right now, I just opened up a 1792 Full Proof and it's very nice. A lot of high-proofs benefit from a chip of ice or splash of water but the 1792 FP drinks well without. I also have a Hudson Four Grain going for the nights when I'm in a real earthy kind of mood. But there are 4 or 5 others in rotation, as well, and we tend to switch around each evening.

For the swill... I stick with Knob Small Batch 100 proof and Bulleit Rye 95 proof. I can get them in 1.5 L size (I make a lot of cocktails) for a great price and they both hold up really well with other ingredients. If I'm making a fancy cocktail for Album Night, I might use PiggyBack or something more spendy like that but I can't do that every day without taking another job I make plenty of other spirit cocktails (especially for Album Night) but we tend to favor whiskey drinks so I have to keep the price-to-quality ratio in mind.

Still haven't had a chance at the Horse Soldier but it's definitely on my radar.

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
                          Last time i was at the Walter Reed class 6 they had 4 cases of buffalo trace. Not exactly hard to find.
                          Compared to Weller or Pappy, no, but more often than not when I walk into the liquor store there isn't any Buffalo Trace on the shelf. But I'm in PA, where the state has a choke hold on alcohol so YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Charles View Post

I like all of these, but my personal favorites are the Weller 107,
                            I saw Weller 107 on the shelf at a bar last night. I've never had it and have never noticed it in the wild. I was at the bar in a quasi-work capacity, first to arrive in my cohort, and not lead for the meeting, so I didn't want to be sitting there with neat bourbon if the meeting was going to be a diet coke affair.

Never got a chance to circle back to the bar after the rest of my group arrived and spent the rest of the night a little disappointed.

Comment

I gave up buying bourbon for Lent. The struggle is real!

Comment

Picked up some knob creek to bolster the bourbon shelf for the apocalypse.

Comment

Working...
                                X