New bourbon thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ron View Post
    I was looking for a local store that had a bottle of my friend's favorite wine. The closest store that had it was an hour away so my wife and I took a ride to purchase it.
    While on line at the checkout, my wife spied a lone bottle sitting on top of a locked display case of pricier items.

Fate can be kind.
    Congrats!! Those are usually hard to find here in the South.

My bourbon club just picked our 19th barrel of the year, this time a single barrel of Wilderness Trail bourbon. It's pretty great for being a touch under 5 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR View Post
      This didn't disappoint

I've been keeping my eyes open for a bottle of Ezra 7 Yr BS for years and happened upon two of them this week. I knew the hype was that it's a brilliant $40 bottle, but I had to pay $60 and was worried I'd regret it at that price. I don't. Happy that I bought them both, in fact.
      So you feel it is worth it for $60? It just popped up in my local store for $62 with a 1 bottle limit.

Was deciding between it and Barrel batch #29 although the Barrel was pricier at $83. My wife said. "Why don't you just buy both". One of the many reasons I love her, lol.
      I was reading a discussion about it on a forum where the reviews were mostly, "it's ok". Of course that forum is populated by guys who regularly drink Pappy's 23, Stagg and Weller's so... Maybe I'll take another ride to the place I found the Blanton's. Who know I might get lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post

I am unbelievably lucky in that I can snag Eagle Rare for TWENTY-THREE DOLLARS A BOTTLE when it's in stock at the NEX (Navy Exchange, sorta the "walmart" of navy bases) at the Naval Academy in Annapolis. The downside being that they get it VERY rarely and it goes QUICK--even when limited to one bottle per person per day. Blanton's is a ridiculous $42.99 a bottle.

I was just in Louisville/Frankfort/Lexington/Bardstown over Veterans' day weekend and WHAT A TRIP THAT WAS (will be writing it up for the very lacking travel page i do). Turned out to be a freakin awesome weekend and I'm already planning a return trip.
        $23/bottle! Now that's a steal. It's actually priced very reasonably here in NH, when it can be found, (and I'm not sure if that happens at all anymore).

Comment

Parents just brought this when they visited for Thanksgiving - from a local distillery in my hometown of Grand Rapids, MI and just won double gold at the NY International Spirits Competition. Very tasty.

rye+now+background.png?format=500w.png
          Attached Files
          “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post
            Parents just brought this when they visited for Thanksgiving - from a local distillery in my hometown of Grand Rapids, MI and just won double gold at the NY International Spirits Competition. Very tasty.

rye+now+background.png?format=500w.png
            Not sure if it's me or the link but I get a "not authorized to view" message when I click the links.

Comment

So you feel it is worth it for $60? It just popped up in my local store for $62 with a 1 bottle limit.

Was deciding between it and Barrel batch #29 although the Barrel was pricier at $83. My wife said. "Why don't you just buy both". One of the many reasons I love her, lol.
              I was reading a discussion about it on a forum where the reviews were mostly, "it's ok". Of course that forum is populated by guys who regularly drink Pappy's 23, Stagg and Weller's so... Maybe I'll take another ride to the place I found the Blanton's. Who know I might get lucky.
              I completely understand why it flew off the shelves at $40 - there aren't many in that range like it - but I think that $60 is pushing it a bit. I'm glad I bought a couple for $60 and I do enjoy it but, having said that, the retailer got more in recently and I passed. So I'm not stocking up on it but it was worth it at that price to have a bottle or two in the house. Trust your wife - get both.

Comment

Not sure if it's me or the link but I get a "not authorized to view" message when I click the links.
                Yeah I don't know what went wrong - it looked fine when I clicked the preview button but something goes wrong with posting the picture. I tried to fix it a couple times without success so...it's Eastern Kille (formerly Gray Skies) Michigan Straight Rye Whiskey https://easternkille.com/our-spirits
                “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Opened the dropleaf this evening (boy does that ever smell like "grew up in the 80s in the midwest" eh?) and decided for a little toasted goodness.

And before anyone asks, yes I've had the Basil Hayden, and frankly no....i'm not a fan. They proofed it down too much. If it had stayed stronger it would have had a much better flavor profile.

20211208_182329 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr
                  https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

This didn't disappoint

I've been keeping my eyes open for a bottle of Ezra 7 Yr BS for years and happened upon two of them this week. I knew the hype was that it's a brilliant $40 bottle, but I had to pay $60 and was worried I'd regret it at that price. I don't. Happy that I bought them both, in fact.
                    Gifted a bottle of this to a friend. He broke it open right away and I really enjoyed it. Hard to believe it is high proof. Very tasty.
                    I enjoyed it so much I bought myself a bottle.

Comment

Gifted a bottle of this to a friend. He broke it open right away and I really enjoyed it. Hard to believe it is high proof. Very tasty.
                      I enjoyed it so much I bought myself a bottle.
                      Agreed. It drinks far too easy for 117

Comment

I've added the Dickel 8 yo Bourbon to my daily drinkers and am hard pressed to come up with an equal at the same price of $26

Comment

I've added the Dickel 8 yo Bourbon to my daily drinkers and am hard pressed to come up with an equal at the same price of $26
                          Evan Williams Bonded is another amazing one for under 20 bucks.
                          https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Indeed. I'll spend a bit more for neat sipping but the EW BiB, along with WT 101, make great cocktail bases at a great price

Comment

I was amazed how happy I was with this, thanks for the suggestion!

The liquor store owner saw my buying that bottle and suggested Very Old Barton 100 proof, which is bottled in bond, owned by Sazerac, and also quite good for less than $20!

Comment

Indeed. I'll spend a bit more for neat sipping but the EW BiB, along with WT 101, make great cocktail bases at a great price
                                I've heard from several people EW BiB maxes a great mixer. I'm going to pick up a bottle.

Tonight I'll be having the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked followed by a pour of Blanton's.

Hope you all have a Happy New Year.

Comment

Working...
                                X