Anyone have a car lift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a car lift?

I'm getting a metal building added at my house for my home gym, and to store my Cutlass. I do a lot of mechanical work on my family's cars and getting my Cutlass up and running. I know some of you work on vehicles, but didn't know if any of you have a car lift. Looking for recommendations
    We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

I dont but wish I could. I opted to get a lifted vehcile so I could just slide under it easily lol. are you goign to have height enough for a full or half? My buddy has a scissor lift style. It had a low entry height to fit his prius on it without problems. I will ask what it was. Its small enough that he keeps it in his primary garage and just parks over it every day.

Comment

I'll be following this with interest. I'm hoping to rebuild my garage in a few years and want to add a lift. My neighbor has a 4 post lift in his garage. He usually stores a car on it, and parks his daily under it. I believe it's also possible to add sliding jacks that can lift the car up from the lift itself to allow the removal of wheels for brake and suspension work.

What year is your Cutlass? I have an '88 Monte Carlo SS I'm trying to get back on the road.
      Last edited by Mr. Charles; November 6th, 2019, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Charles View Post
        I have an '88 Monte Carlo SS I'm trying to get back on the road.
        Those are cool. My dad got one as soon as they came out...and it was promptly stolen from the parking lot. So he got another one lol.

Comment

I've debated getting something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/QuickJac...110v/307393222

The problem though is most modern cars, I cannot even work on myself. To do the brakes on my Audi (2012) or my wife's Mazda I need a computer program to disengage the parking brake. Sure, I can buy the $100 software and a cheap PC to put it on but by then I've got to factor in my time as well. Also her Mazda dealership gives free oil changes. I miss working on my cars but it seems that's the way it's going.

Comment

My neighbor has a bay in his garage. Not as cool as a lift, but much more affordable, and easier to have done. It's a good size pit that was dug out and cemented. He just drives whatever vehicle over it and works on the underneath from the bay.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
              are you goign to have height enough for a full or half? My buddy has a scissor lift style. It had a low entry height to fit his prius on it without problems.
              Yes, my building will be 12Â’ tall, so I will have enough room. I was thinking about a scissor lift at one point, but I am soon buying an F-150, and I want to make sure the liftÂ’s load capacity can handle it, and them some

What year is your Cutlass? I have an '88 Monte Carlo SS I'm trying to get back on the road.
              1972 Cutlass Supreme, convertible. My father left it to me in his will two years ago. He let it sit forever, and I begged for him to let me buy it these past few years, and he always said no. My sister said he always planned to leave it for me, and that he wanted to bust my balls one last time when I saw it listed in the will. I am leaning towards a four post, just to make sure I have that extra comfort level of the stability.

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
              The problem though is most modern cars, I cannot even work on myself...
              Yes, the manufacturers are making it almost impossible for the average person or shade tree mechanic to do a job quick and easy. A lot easier to slap that big pricey warranty on the car when they make it nearly impossible to fix them by hand with a couple of beers on a Saturday

Originally posted by Shade View Post
              My neighbor has a bay in his garage. Not as cool as a lift, but much more affordable, and easier to have done. It's a good size pit that was dug out and cemented. He just drives whatever vehicle over it and works on the underneath from the bay.
              I havenÂ’t completely ruled this option out. Where I am building, itÂ’s on enough of a slope where it would logistically work to fig a bay. My only issue, is getting bigger parts in and out of the bay (depending on the bayÂ’s size)
              We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Comment

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by APinNC View Post

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                  Beautiful!! Enjoy her!

Comment

2 post for working 4 post for storage and wheel on jobs.

Currently finishing my garage but looking at the Bendpak HD-9 for my garage. Low ceiling hurts me at 9ft 6in but I can make it work.

Comment

I've debated getting something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/QuickJac...110v/307393222

The problem though is most modern cars, I cannot even work on myself. To do the brakes on my Audi (2012) or my wife's Mazda I need a computer program to disengage the parking brake. Sure, I can buy the $100 software and a cheap PC to put it on but by then I've got to factor in my time as well. Also her Mazda dealership gives free oil changes. I miss working on my cars but it seems that's the way it's going.

I have the VCDS cable. Where do you live?
                      https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
                        I have the VCDS cable. Where do you live?
                        Burke, VA. I appreciate it. I'd also need a PC I believe or do they adapt to MAC now? it used to be the software was only PC.

Comment

Burke, VA. I appreciate it. I'd also need a PC I believe or do they adapt to MAC now? it used to be the software was only PC.
                          drop me an email (armed*DOT*ferret*AT*gmail*DOT*com) and i'll throw you my number. weekends with a little bit of notice usually work bestest for me, but if you have something coming due soon i can prolly help out over the long weekend.

(i have lappy with software too)
                          https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

I don't have one yet I'm planning to get a 4-post lift so I can store my car on it aside from doing brake maintenance, oil change, removing my venomrex wheels, and some suspension works. Most probably I will just get a used lift since I'm on a budget right now.

Comment

Working...
                            X