Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amazon workers protest and the latest Dappered post

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Amazon workers protest and the latest Dappered post

    Hey guys,

    Longtime reader and lurker here, decided to finally register. In light of the strikes by Amazon workers and protests against poor working conditions and low wages, I'm a little disappointed to see Dappered doing a round-up of Prime Day sales. While I'm aware there are definitely some great deals on Prime Day and many readers are Amazon shoppers, it would be huge to see Dappered stand in solidarity with the workers and not promote Amazon Prime Day. There are enough quality, ethical brands out there at fair prices that deserve the recognition!

    #2
    It’s a website where they always post deals and in many cases have affiliate links where they get compensation for their posts. Did it surprise you at all?

    Comment


      #3
      Yeah I disagree. I don't think it is incumbent on Dappered.com to "protest" clothing companies. They discuss clothing and provide sales and dressing tips.

      Comment


        #4
        I think the many criticisms of Amazon's business model are very valid and find myself wishing I were not so reliant on them for many of the purchases I make. I am trying (with limited success) to limit the number of purchases I make from them.

        However I'm surprised that anyone would be surprised that their big sale day appears on a website that exists to help people find sales.
        Ben

        Comment


          #5
          I'm not surprised the post exists as is.

          Given Joe's history of editorializing, I would not have been surprised if he skipped it or if he included some discussion of the downsides of Amazon.

          Heck, send him an email and ask him yourself. Volunteer to write a post discussing the issue.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by sjm26b View Post
            Yeah I disagree. I don't think it is incumbent on Dappered.com to "protest" clothing companies. They discuss clothing and provide sales and dressing tips.
            Wasn't asking for or expecting a protest post, but maybe showing a little bit of social awareness would have been nice? I realize Amazon is pretty popular round these parts, but they should be held to a higher standard. The fact that the website is profiting from directing traffic to Amazon is pretty disappointing.

            Comment


              #7
              I am probably in the minority, but I could not care less. I'm just an organic, self-replicating machine, based on a DNA blueprint, with a few basic functions; consumption and reproduction. Amazon satiates the consumption needs.

              Comment


                #8
                Yeah man, sorry, I'm not here for "protesting" consumer companies. Pretty much the opposite!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Jimm View Post
                  Wasn't asking for or expecting a protest post, but maybe showing a little bit of social awareness would have been nice? I realize Amazon is pretty popular round these parts, but they should be held to a higher standard. The fact that the website is profiting from directing traffic to Amazon is pretty disappointing.
                  In 2010 after the Great Recession, I had just graduated with an MBA from a well known state school. Times were tough and I graduated without a job. After a couple months of not many bites, I went to work at a Fedex facility packing boxes into trucks for some pocket money. The work was terrible and I had an awful shift of something like 4am - until the boxes stopped coming. In the 5-6 months I worked there, I got to know the guys on my belt and a few others as I picked up shifts.

                  What I found was that people would rotate companies in a given metro area and get small pay bumps as companies competed for work. Don't like Fedex? UPS was close. Don't like either? Wal-mart or some other store also had trucks to pack. Similarly, Amazon puts its warehouses on the outskirts of town to save on rents. This then becomes a beacon of employment to that area. You know what else happens? Other warehouses also locate to the area and like the people I met at Fedex, they rotate warehouses competing on pay.

                  There was a story, and I don't know if it is true, but at one point Subway and Taco Bell would locate near McDonald's. The reason was, Subway and TB knew McD's spent money searching out locations so why not just locate near them? Makes sense and you do not spend the $$$ finding the best location.
                  [MENTION=20900]Jimm[/MENTION] - If you want to boycott/protest Amazon for one day of sales, boycott/protest them all. Other stores hopped on the Christmas in July bandwagon and in this instance, Amazon created the hype around PrimeDay and others followed suit. Warehousing is a huge industry and are decent paying jobs for the communities that these are located. It's not easy work and isn't promised when people sign up.

                  Good luck to you Jimm, I mean it. Don't let your ethical self only hate 2 days in July. Don't celebrate the end of the year Holiday season or get caught up in other spending Holidays.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I don’t understand why some feel their personal opinions need to be adopted by all. Some may have issues with Amazon’s practices then don’t support them. Some don’t and are ok with how they operate. That comes down to a personal set of ethics and morals.

                    I also try to not spend as much on them and Walmart but that’s my personal belief. If I don’t like the blog article I just don’t click it. If he doesn’t get enough clicks I’d assume he’d know to adjust.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                      There was a story, and I don't know if it is true, but at one point Subway and Taco Bell would locate near McDonald's. The reason was, Subway and TB knew McD's spent money searching out locations so why not just locate near them? Makes sense and you do not spend the $$$ finding the best location.
                      Lowes does this with Home Depot. They also strategically select their inventory to have higher stock int he items Home Depot chooses not to focus on. They are accepting a complimentary role almost. It saves them a lot of money in market research so the lower sales yield a higher profit due to less upfront expense to spin up a store.


                      I am not boycotting Amazon. The workers will sort it out. In the US they can simply chose to work somewhere else and force Amazon to offer a better environment to maintain their staff. If the pay is too good for them to actually leave, then is it as bad as they say? I know very little about the amazon environment so I have no idea. I can relate it to the fast food workers though. They were asking for higher minimum wages. Fast food has responded by replacing a portion of their workforce with self serve kiosks, app ordering, and doordash/uber eats services. In that case, I believe the workers overestimated their value so it may or may not be a parallel. Just an example of how unions and markets often correct them selves.

                      Boycotting actually could be seen as taking some stress off of Amazon actually. If they have tons of orders to fulfill they would be more likely to meet the demands of the workers that are striking.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                        I don’t understand why some feel their personal opinions need to be adopted by all. Some may have issues with Amazon’s practices then don’t support them. Some don’t and are ok with how they operate. That comes down to a personal set of ethics and morals.

                        I also try to not spend as much on them and Walmart but that’s my personal belief. If I don’t like the blog article I just don’t click it. If he doesn’t get enough clicks I’d assume he’d know to adjust.
                        I agree with this. I also see nothing wrong with information sharing. I didnt even know about the strike until someone did a Facebook post.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                          I agree with this. I also see nothing wrong with information sharing. I didnt even know about the strike until someone did a Facebook post.
                          Wait what? You're still on Facebook? I boycotted them long ago because of their abuse of personal information, not to mention how they treat their workers too

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                            Wait what? You're still on Facebook? I boycotted them long ago because of their abuse of personal information, not to mention how they treat their workers too
                            I was all set to disable my account until my dad signed up and said "I really like seeing all of the pictures". I am pretty much just in 1,000 Jeep, camping, or hiking groups and have 3 friends lol. None of my personal information is real so they can share that I am a 73 year old female member of the Cherokee nation with anyone they choose.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I was just messing with you [MENTION=12021]idvsego[/MENTION]. Everyone knows that Facebook is really controlled by a combination of Netflix, GM, Bank of America, and Dolche and Gabana. The plan is to mine as much user data as possible to create movie (to be streamed on Netflix) where good looking and smelling people (smells by Dolche and Gabana) drive around (in a GM car) robbing banks (specifically Bank of America). I've read it is to be an update on the traditional Bonnie and Clyde movie.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X