No announcement yet.

Did you ever want a "whole house music system"? I put mine together for <$300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When the sonos works, I think it is brilliant. When the system unexpectedly drops speakers or I cannot connect to certain zones, I think the sonos is the worst system in the world. I also don't appreciate having to do system updates or risk not having my speakers working until I apply the update.

I am happy with the system, and like I said. When it works, which is probably 95% of the time, the system sounds great. That remaining 5% though is enough to make me want to punch someone in the throat.

Comment

Something to be aware of for those who have, or are considering a Sonos system...

https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-is...eason-hold-up/

and

https://www.zdnet.com/video/sonos-is...into-a-corner/
      Sent from my CONTROL shoe phone inside the Cone of Silence

Comment

Yeah, I read that article too [MENTION=17779]minty007[/MENTION]. I am keenly aware that I am at the mercy of the sonos company...

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
          Yeah, I read that article too [MENTION=17779]minty007[/MENTION]. I am keenly aware that I am at the mercy of the sonos company...
          Today our speakers, tomorrow... our cars? Not sure where, or if it will end
          Sent from my CONTROL shoe phone inside the Cone of Silence

Comment

Originally posted by minty007 View Post
            Something to be aware of for those who have, or are considering a Sonos system...

https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-is...eason-hold-up/

and

https://www.zdnet.com/video/sonos-is...into-a-corner/
            Planned obsolescence has been a marketing device for years.

Even more so with tech devices. I still remember the first time I threw out nice computer speaker system (two speakers and a woofer) because one speaker crapped out and it was impossible to buy a replacement. And the system wouldn't work without that speaker.

I hate tossing stuff in the landfill. But we don't have much choice.
            WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Yeah, the cars thing is really bothering me. For years car guys (of which I am NOT, let's be clear here) have been modifying their cars. Now, to modify car, you need access to the software of the car. The car manufacturers though car saying you do not own the software. They do. According to the car manufacturers, if you try to modify the software, you're hacking the car and breaking the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. Which mean jail time. All for modifying your car...

The Sonos thing annoys me. I have the system in our house and like it. When the system works I do not want to mess with it. I see that a system update is ready, and often I will not install the update because I have done so in the past only to have my system become unstable until the next update. What bothers me though is that if I put off the update for long enough, Sonos FORCES me to do the update. They won't allow me to use my system unless I apply the update.

This ^ annoys because I own the speakers and don't appreciate being bullied in to doing an update. An update that could (and has) made my system unstable.

Comment

Yeah, the cars thing is really bothering me. For years car guys (of which I am NOT, let's be clear here) have been modifying their cars. Now, to modify car, you need access to the software of the car. The car manufacturers though car saying you do not own the software. They do. According to the car manufacturers, if you try to modify the software, you're hacking the car and breaking the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. Which mean jail time. All for modifying your car...

The Sonos thing annoys me. I have the system in our house and like it. When the system works I do not want to mess with it. I see that a system update is ready, and often I will not install the update because I have done so in the past only to have my system become unstable until the next update. What bothers me though is that if I put off the update for long enough, Sonos FORCES me to do the update. They won't allow me to use my system unless I apply the update.

This ^ annoys because I own the speakers and don't appreciate being bullied in to doing an update. An update that could (and has) made my system unstable.
                Reminds me of something I read about tractors and farmers recently (of which I am not ) Apparently farmers are frustrated with all the new software, computers, and gadgets on new tractors. They are driving up the prices of older tractors.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/31761/...all-time-highs

As much as I love tech, sometimes simple is better.
                WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Working...
                X