X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pborkstrom
    replied
    How do stay motivated for keeping fit?

I used to sign up for endurance events that were out of my comfort zone and required more effort than maintenance. But in order to progress (reps/time, distance/time, etc) I had to eat super healthy and get some decent sleep. My pride would not let me slip on my numbers, so I’d be absolutely miserable had I not eaten clean, cut the booze, etc. That helped me make my workouts and eat healthy as a lifestyle. But after so many events, the “so, now what?” kicks in. It wasn’t a lifelong strategy but it did help me get in the habit.

Eventually I found F3 (F3nation.com) and I’ve not struggled with motivation since. The workouts are held outdoors, rain or shine, hot or cold. There’s no cost, no signing up, and no gear required - just show up. The age range in my area is 18-62. Sizes range from 125-350lbs. All shapes, sizes, and fitness levels.

Workouts are usually early (5:30a-6:15a) so I’m usually able to get it in before I have to travel for work.

The guys are really encouraging. The workouts are usually pretty tough, but fun. Usually bootcamp style workouts. Even if you lift, hitting 1-3 F3 workouts a week is an awesome addition to most programs. In weeks I don’t travel, I do 6 workouts a week.

To see if there is F3 in your area:
    https://f3nation.com/workouts/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by DocDave View Post
    Hey those people are influencers!!!!
    Our esteemed laureate's (Joe's) favoritest people.

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    Originally posted by armedferret View Post
    I think I'm gonna start being an IG butt model like all the cool 20-somethings that don't have a real job.
    Hey those people are influencers!!!!

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by mobaxter View Post
    Setting up my goals and following some people on IG keep me motivated.
    I think I'm gonna start being an IG butt model like all the cool 20-somethings that don't have a real job.

Leave a comment:

• mobaxter
    replied
    Setting up my goals and following some people on IG keep me motivated.

Leave a comment:

• APinNC
    replied
    Hey, just an FYI

MuscleTech Creatine is a Prime Day Deal, plus 35% off at checkout. ~$8 for 80 days servings
    Also, BodyFortress whey protein is $12 after Prime Day Deal and extra % off at checkout

Leave a comment:

• calexako
    replied
    For me having a sustainable program as a novice lifter has helped tremendously. I highly recommend the AlphaDestiny Novice program. The guy has a no BS approach and i have seen tremendous strength improvement which translates in also seeing more muscle build up.

You can do it two or three times a week and it fits my busy schedule like a glove. I have no affiliation with the guy other than being a satisfied user of his program (it's free).

https://outalpha.com/the-out-alpha-novice-program/

Leave a comment:

• identitycrisis
    replied
    1. Set a sustainable routine
    2. See progress
    3. Doing it enough that I literally become addicted to the endorphins

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by DocDave View Post
    Feels like we are already on the back end of summer.
    Longest day of the year was what, 3 weeks ago?

The days *ARE* getting shorter.

as for keeping motivation, the bottom line is ruts are death for a workout. i find myself seeking out new music to listen to every couple of weeks, or at least rotating what's on my phone. i also change up muscle groups/days on weights every month or so (monday/chest, tuesday/back, wednesday/legs, thursday/shoulders, friday/wind sprints and running) and then one week a month is dedicated to really weird stuff, obstacle course on base (totally not supposed to use it but watch me care), plyometrics, circuit training, that sorta thing.

change it up so you have something different to look forward to.

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    Originally posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Well, for starters, if I let myself go, my suits and sportcoats, the most expensive part of my wardrobe, will no longer fit properly, and that alone is enough to keep me going. Because vanity.... Also, like others have said, exercise is like brushing your teeth or bathing: if you don't do it, your body will wither and die, so you don't have a choice in the matter.
    The motivation about not having the wardrobe fit is a good one. I have lost enough weight that my pants and shirt don't fit properly anymore. The wife was commenting the other night that I need to get out and buy some new pants since the cinched up plant look with belt is not doing it for me.

Originally posted by carlitos View Post
    I’m getting so much positive feedback that it keeps me motivated to exercise a lot. But I’m only in the gym a couple of times per week in the summer. For me, summer is for running and biking outside.
    This sums up my summer. Running and biking outside. I try to maximize that since our nice weather is so short. Heck this morning I was walking to the gym and I noticed that it is getting darker in the morning. Already. Gesh. Feels like we are already on the back end of summer.

Positive feedback though. That definitely helps. I need to get me some of that!

Leave a comment:

• carlitos
    replied
    How do stay motivated for keeping fit?

I’m getting so much positive feedback that it keeps me motivated to exercise a lot. But I’m only in the gym a couple of times per week in the summer. For me, summer is for running and biking outside. I try to lift a couple of times per week for 45 minutes and do at least one yoga class, but I don’t always get there. On the other hand, I get up super early to ride the bike 20 miles because it’s beautiful and I love doing it.

For me, having a goal helps tremendously. I had a race to run earlier this summer, so I just committed to the training program and that was it, no option to miss it because the race was the race.

Leave a comment:

• hockeysc23
    replied
    Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Instagram is a mixed bag but if you find the right people/pages to follow, it can be useful and motivating. I follow a couple Oly lifters (@gsincraian and @gurphling) and Squat University (@squat_university) and I find it useful to A.) see really good lifters in action, and B.) see new tips on improving technique. Seeing great lifters motivates me to keep improving, and the Squat U stuff gives me lots of exercises and cues to work on to improve my technique and keep lifting in a safe and healthy way.
    Agreed completely on it being a mixed bag but you can learn from certain people depending on what your gym goals are. Mine is more bodybuilding and fitness then pure strength.

Some I’d recommend
    hypertrophycoach - he has the best examples in explains the movements. How you should setup and target muscles
    Thequadguy- great variations if you’re getting bored. Some aren’t beginner level things but he explains well.
    Danalynnbailey - great supersets and volume if that’s your desire. She’s inspiring and has a great personality.

Leave a comment:

• papaholmz
    replied
    Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Instagram is a mixed bag but if you find the right people/pages to follow, it can be useful and motivating. I follow a couple Oly lifters (@gsincraian and @gurphling) and Squat University (@squat_university) and I find it useful to A.) see really good lifters in action, and B.) see new tips on improving technique. Seeing great lifters motivates me to keep improving, and the Squat U stuff gives me lots of exercises and cues to work on to improve my technique and keep lifting in a safe and healthy way.
    To me what you're talking about is continuous improvement and learning, and I couldn't agree more. One of the best things I ever did was leave Gold's gym where everyone works out with their headphones in and ignores each other and instead join a warehouse style gym. At this new gym, everyone talks to everyone and that gives you an opportunity to learn. When I joined the new gym, everyone was stronger than me, and while that was a little intimidating at first, it's helped (read motivated) me in so many ways. You can learn so much from people who are better/stronger than you. And more often then not, they want to share their knowledge with you if you're humble enough to listen.

Leave a comment:

• papaholmz
    replied
    Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
    ...it's not optional, not anymore than brushing my teeth is optional.
    This.

In David Goggins' book Can't Hurt Me he writes, "Motivation is crap. Because just as easily as you can get it, you can lose it." This hit home with me and I've never looked back, it isn't optional.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Also following some fitness people on IG helps bring up some interesting workouts you may want to try.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X