Best bourbons under $40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
    I'm heading through Nashville in a week and a half; won't be back in MD until end of May but if you'd like I'd be happy to mule a bottle back for you. Going to be picking one up for myself anyway.
    Thanks for the offer but I'm not the big Blanton's guy - one of my friends is. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but although it's impossible to find in liquor stores it's on plenty of bar shelves, so when I want it I just get it at the bar. Although, I just saw that Henry McKenna single barrel bottled-in-bond 10 year aged bourbon won "best in show" at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition. It retails for a reasonable $30-$40 per bottle, so I may have to hunt for some of that. https://coolmaterial.com/food-drink/...-in-the-world/
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Eagle Rare is yet another Buffalo Trace bourbon.

Originally posted by CJM81 View Post
      Can confirm the quality of Eagle Rare. Excellent for the price point. Old Forester is also worthwhile.

Comment

Buffalo Trace Eagle Rare, and Weller (when I can find it) are my main go-to's in this price range. I need to try some of the other wheated bourbons like Larceny and Bernheim too. Elmer T. Lee is another great bourbon that I think is still in the $40-ish price range, but at least around here it's even harder to find than Weller or Blantons.

It's interesting to see how McKenna has turned into such a phenomenon. I used to see it on the shelf all the time, which apparently is no longer the case after the recent awards. While I thought it was good, and certainly a reasonable price for a 10-year BiB bourbon, it hasn't been anything that I would actively seek out - maybe I need to revisit it.
        “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
        "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

Everything is more expensive north of the border, but if you are drinking it neat, I would suggest Basil Hayden or Elija Craig. Both excellent with a cigar...

Comment

Elijiah Craig small batch is the best one under $40 imo.

Comment

This wasn't $40. I'm still proud to have found some. :P

20190523_162342 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr
              https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

I think the fancy bottle is $40 empty.

This wasn't $40. I'm still proud to have found some. :P

20190523_162342 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr
                WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Weller's (also a Buffalo Trace bourbon) is an exceptional bourbon at any price. Given that it's usually under $30, it's even more exception. The problem--like with Blanton's--is just finding the stuff.

Comment

My go-to is Woodford Reserve. Hard to beat for $26.

I may have to stop by the Buffalo Trace distillery tomorrow on my way to Louisville to see if I can snag a bottle of Blanton’s.

Comment

I grabbed some Elijah Small Batch. That stuff is fantastic!! Probably going to become my new go-to, and allow me to pare down the other stuff and free up some shelf space. Elijah for "normal" use, Blanton's for occasions.

I dig.
                      https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

I grabbed some Elijah Small Batch. That stuff is fantastic!! Probably going to become my new go-to, and allow me to pare down the other stuff and free up some shelf space. Elijah for "normal" use, Blanton's for occasions.

I dig.
                        Glad to hear you liked it. Same as the the stuff that was previously labeled 12 y.o.

Comment

Working...
                        X