Amazon Prime price increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Prime price increase

Just got my Amazon Prime renewal fee pulled from my bank account, $127.33. Called up and immediately canceled. Not worth it to me anymore, especially at a 20% increase. Amazon is constantly late with packages for being a Prime member, free shipping over $35 dollars and most things I buy are over that, I have multiple video and music services that I use already, so I don't even bother with theirs. I can see it being beneficial for people with multiple members in a household etc. , but for me being single, it is just another added expense that I don't need anymore. Anyone else cut it off lately?
    Last edited by Shade; November 28, 2018, 06:40 AM.

i bet they'll probably try to lower the price and reel you back in. hear any more from them today or tomorrow?

Comment

We have 143 orders so far in 2018. I'd assume we would keep Prime even if it were $300 per year.

Comment

We have discussed that in the household as well. I dont have too many that are late and its nice to not have to run to the store for low priority items. I drive a jeep so at my MPG rate it has a different savings effect lol. I use the photo storage feature. The music is useless. The video is decent when I remember its there. We will see. It isnt a slam dunk decision anymore though, you are right. Let us know if they reach out with a reduction.

Comment

I will say that it irked me when I learned of the 20% price increase, which came right on the heels of Amazon announcing record profits. Frickin' greedy corporate asshats. Bezos is only worth $100 BILLION--he clearly needs more money. Oh boy--I don't want to get started--so I'll stop.

That said, it's still a good value for us. We not only take advantage of the free shipping (283 orders this year), which is reasonably reliable in our area, but we do sometimes use Prime video and music.
          WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
            We have 143 orders so far in 2018. I'd assume we would keep Prime even if it were $300 per year.
            I just pulled my order history. My household averages around 100 orders a year. At $1.30 for the convenience, free shipping, and access to Prime video and Prime music, we'll be sticking with it for the foreseeable future. I'd consider drawing the line around $2.50 an order, maybe $3.00.

A note about Prime music--as a general rule, it sucks, but there are some diamonds in the rough. I used to buy a lot of vinyl albums. All of those albums are also accessible and can be played via Prime music, which is nice. I also like Prime for commercial free background music for my office. Prime's swing jazz station is the default. This week I switched to holiday music. We'll see how long lasts.

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
              I will say that it irked me when I learned of the 20% price increase, which came right on the heels of Amazon announcing record profits. Frickin' greedy corporate asshats. Bezos is only worth $100 BILLION--he clearly needs more money. Oh boy--I don't want to get started--so I'll stop.

That said, it's still a good value for us. We not only take advantage of the free shipping (283 orders this year), which is reasonably reliable in our area, but we do sometimes use Prime video and music.
              I remember the hate when that was announced but Amazon has only had a very fractional amount of profits based on their revenue. They are very good capital allocators. Also he has his whole net worth tied into 1 company. For every Bezos, there are thousands of others that have nothing because their company's went under.

For instance, the company I used to work for, the CEO had 2 million shares. At one point his worth alone in those shares was $100 million plus. Due to the 95% nose dive in stock price, he has about $6 million in shares. He still has millions but the point is, it could all go away.

Comment

I ordered a $6.99 Blu-ray (Avengers Infinity war) on black Friday and it was suppose to arrive today. No surprise they ran out and moved my delivery date to next week. I reached out to customer service and they gave me a $5 credit and upgraded the delivery (simply by me reaching out to them about the problem, I didn't ask for anything). That pretty much describes 99% of my customer service interactions with the company. Combined with the other perks and the prime video offerings it definitely makes it worth it to me.

Comment

I remember the hate when that was announced but Amazon has only had a very fractional amount of profits based on their revenue. They are very good capital allocators. Also he has his whole net worth tied into 1 company. For every Bezos, there are thousands of others that have nothing because their company's went under.

For instance, the company I used to work for, the CEO had 2 million shares. At one point his worth alone in those shares was $100 million plus. Due to the 95% nose dive in stock price, he has about $6 million in shares. He still has millions but the point is, it could all go away.
                  About 30 years ago I lost everything as a small business owner--and I mean everything--my house, my cars, and just everything but for my clothing. Plus I had the IRS after me for about 10 years until I paid them off. And my wife left me (which worked out well in the long run, but was not so good back then). My life was devastated for years. So, yes, I know what can happen. Fortunately, I was young enough to recover and not end up impoverished for life.

And now you've got me started. Maybe it would be wiser if we set up the system so that it was a little bit less risky for hard working small business owners and as a trade-off, guys like Bezos, Zuck, Gates, and the rest get a little bit less of a payoff. My opinion, for what it's worth, is the growing wealth disparity in this country is going to continue to cause problems that aren't easily solved.

I know--this is way beyond the scope of the OP. And way beyond the scope of Dapperred. Also, I have work I should do, just so I can maintain my tiny piece of the pie. So, I'll stop again.
                  WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Glad you brought this up. I was not aware of the price increase. That pisses me off. 20% is no joke.

Comment

Co-signed. The convenience of subscribe and save alone makes it worth it to me (especially great for baby products). Credit card benefits are decent as well. Take my money.

Comment

I joined Prime primarily for the streaming service. Even at the higher price it's not any more expensive than Netflix. Granted, they have different free content than Netflix, but I can't justify having both and really don't know which of the two services would provide more content I want to watch. The free two day shipping (which, I too have noticed that two days turns into three or four on a not infrequent basis, but still, it's free) is just a bonus for me, but it's the bonus that lead me to Amazon over Netflix. Sucks that the price went up but it's still what I consider reasonable given the cost of the next best option. Plus Amazon offers free radio mode music streaming, and a lot of reading content, with Prime. I don't use the music streaming much since I have a Spotify account I don't use but could. Netflix doesn't offer that at all, nor does it offer digital books.
                        “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I was aware of the price increase as it had been spoken about publicly for a little while leading up to it. What irks me, and I'm assuming others, the most is that although they made the announcement they did not make much of an effort (if at all) to reach out to their existing customers and make them aware of the price change.

That being said, even at $120 with the amount of orders I make per year, subscribe & save and amazon video I'd say it's worth it for me. Prime video may not have as deep a library as other services like Netflix or Hulu but it still has quite a bit on there and even if it was priced at $6 a month (very cheap compared to competition) that would cover a good chunk of your annual prime membership costs.

Comment

FWIW, if any of y'all have access to academic accounts or are taking classes/have kids that are (undergrad or graduate), Prime is only $59/yr, and will be good at that discount for ~4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by L_Wilson View Post
                              FWIW, if any of y'all have access to academic accounts or are taking classes/have kids that are (undergrad or graduate), Prime is only $59/yr, and will be good at that discount for ~4 years.
                              Nice--my SO is going back to b-school, so good to know. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X