Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice needed from the bearded ones...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Advice needed from the bearded ones...

    I have been growing mine out for a month or so now. Its the longest I have gone so far. My plan is to mostly let it grow on its own for 3 months or so to see how it naturally takes shape then consider trimming. I am doing fine with it except my mustache area. Its bugging me on my lip. Do you guys just let it grow and then comb/shape it away from your mouth or do you trim around your lip?

    #2
    Figured I’d post to say I’ve been in the same boat and have no good advice. Usually when I grow a beard I keep it quite tight. Last winter/spring I tried to let it grow out a bit more and managing the mustache was a challenge. On the one hand, stray hairs hanging over your lip are pretty gross. On the other, you can’t really get a full mustache trained to stay in a particular shape (I was aiming for a handlebar) without letting it grow.

    I ended up getting grossed out and shaving the whole thing off after a couple months. I’ve gone back to a much tighter beard when I have one (3/8” in the goatee area and 1/4” elsewhere... mustache carefully pruned of stray hairs over the top lip).
    Ben

    Comment


      #3
      Suppose you could wax it to the sides. To be honest I've always just taken a pair of scissors, smiled and trimmed any hair that hit the lip when I did that.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Bobbumman View Post
        Suppose you could wax it to the sides. To be honest I've always just taken a pair of scissors, smiled and trimmed any hair that hit the lip when I did that.
        thats what I was curios about. I dont need a handlebar or a big long beard. I just want a fullish beard. Think Hugh Jackman in Logan


        https://www.moma.org/d/assets/W1siZi...e7c3e5c601c99a

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
          Figured I’d post to say I’ve been in the same boat and have no good advice. Usually when I grow a beard I keep it quite tight. Last winter/spring I tried to let it grow out a bit more and managing the mustache was a challenge. On the one hand, stray hairs hanging over your lip are pretty gross. On the other, you can’t really get a full mustache trained to stay in a particular shape (I was aiming for a handlebar) without letting it grow.

          I ended up getting grossed out and shaving the whole thing off after a couple months. I’ve gone back to a much tighter beard when I have one (3/8” in the goatee area and 1/4” elsewhere... mustache carefully pruned of stray hairs over the top lip).
          thats pretty much what I had been doing. I just decided to let it grow more. My wife doesnt like the close beard because my whiskers are coarse. Trying to see if it gets more tolerable with some length and less blunt, trimmed ends.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by idvsego View Post
            thats what I was curios about. I dont need a handlebar or a big long beard. I just want a fullish beard. Think Hugh Jackman in Logan


            https://www.moma.org/d/assets/W1siZi...e7c3e5c601c99a
            Yeah, just take a pair of scissors and trim the lip, but don't use clippers on it. Should get you what you want.

            I think, TBH I've never gone down that road, and i'm far from a grooming expert.

            Comment


              #7
              so I am a few months in on this beard thing and actually went to a barber and got it lined up last week. I just told him I wanted it cleaned up. He did some good work and gave me a model to follow. Was very nice for a newbie. Will probably have it done periodically to keep my lines honest.

              Comment


                #8
                For coarseness, I apply a dilute conditioner when bathing. I also put olive oil on my beard once a week or so. The only downside is I really want a salad afterwards.

                Comment

                Working...
                X