Muscle soreness - any cures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muscle soreness - any cures?

After diligently going to the gym up to the summer, I slacked off for the summer months. And now, with fall here, I'm getting back in to it. Only man! Am I ever sore. Arm hurt. Legs hurt. Chest hurts. You get the idea. I likely started lifting too heavy a weight too quickly. But hey. I'm a guy and we do that kind of stuff. Anyway...

Anyone have any tips for getting over this muscle pain/ache? Or is it just something I need to work through?

Plenty of sleep and protein. Creatine is also a plus, and one of the few gym supplements that's actually been shown to actually work study after study.

Comment

It’s always the worst after you’ve just started again after a long time. Hydrate, sleep, and practice active recovery: Stretch, mobilize, foam roll, do some hot/cold therapy with a hot tub and pool, do light activity like walking, swimming, yoga, an easy row on a rowing erg, etc, between actual workouts. Once you push through this first round of soreness and stay active, subsequent soreness won’t be nearly as bad.
      Ben

Comment

You most likely didn't lift too heavy a weight too soon. You most likely are just working muscles that you havent worked in a long time, or worked them more than you are used to. Think skiing the first time for the season, you will wake the next morning and your legs will be fucking dead and sore as hell. Just havent used them in a long time in that way. If you dont have a good protein drink, try ensure, bananas are high in potassium, etc. I've been lifting 3 to 4 times a week for over a decade now, and if I take a week off and hit the same weights, I get sore are hell too. Just is what it is.

Comment

To repeat what's already been said: just keep working out. Stretching, a light jog, or some other easy activity in between workouts seems to help me but the only real solution is to keep lifting heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
            It’s always the worst after you’ve just started again after a long time. Hydrate, sleep, and practice active recovery: Stretch, mobilize, foam roll, do some hot/cold therapy with a hot tub and pool, do light activity like walking, swimming, yoga, an easy row on a rowing erg, etc, between actual workouts. Once you push through this first round of soreness and stay active, subsequent soreness won’t be nearly as bad.
            Foam roll. Yes. I have one of these and I need to start using it way more than I am right now - which isn't at all. Same goes for stretching. I used to be quite limber but as I've been getting older my stretching ability is getting worse and worse. Might be time to seriously look in to a yoga class, instead of always doing cardio. Time though. Just need more time!

Comment

I don’t have the patience to do yoga as a regular standalone practice, but the crunchy hippie crossfit gym I attend incorporates it into our warmup/mobility time. You can learn a lot of the basic movements/poses, as well as specific ones tailored for the issues in your tissues, from YouTube and other online resources.

A lot of people think strength and flexibility are mutually exclusive but the reality is you need to cultivate great mobility in order to achieve proper lifting form. Even in simple powerlifting, you need to have superb flexibility of the ankles, hips, and shoulders to maintain an upright position that will protect your lower back from getting tweaked from squatting.
              Last edited by LesserBlackDog; November 6, 2018, 12:22 PM.
              Ben

Comment

Hydration....don't over-do it. You can't make up for lost time. Patience.
                Also EAA's are great for recovery. I drink them Intra or Post and on off days.
                Creatine is for muscle-building and as stated is the most proven supplement, but no supplement on earth, this side of HGH Or steroids is going to help unless you have a proper diet and train hard....

Comment

I have horrible flexibility, and I found subscribing to Romwod to be a great way to force myself to put in 15-20 minutes of mobility at the end of the day. The added benefit is I feel as though it relaxes me before bed and helps me get to sleep faster. Free 7 day trial, too. (I don't get a referral bonus on this, sadly, so this isn't an advertisement).

https://romwod.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                    I don’t have the patience to do yoga as a regular standalone practice, but the crunchy hippie crossfit gym I attend incorporates it into our warmup/mobility time. You can learn a lot of the basic movements/poses, as well as specific ones tailored for the issues in your tissues, from YouTube and other online resources.

A lot of people think strength and flexibility are mutually exclusive but the reality is you need to cultivate great mobility in order to achieve proper lifting form. Even in simple powerlifting, you need to have superb flexibility of the ankles, hips, and shoulders to maintain an upright position that will protect your lower back from getting tweaked from squatting.
                    Absolutely re: flexibility, just look at jujimufu, that guy is a flexible beast!!. Something I need to stop neglecting.

In regards to ankle flexibility, I just started using weight lifting shoes for my squats and it's been amazing, as I can keep close to a 90° ankle angle at the bottom of my squats. Much more stable and no more butt wink as I'm able to stay uptight better. Course I'll have to keep at increasing my ankle mobility as well, but the shoes certainly help.

Comment

As some have said, no substitute for time. Just keep pushing through the workouts (intelligently) and the soreness will begin to fade away. Do stretch a lot, do roll out muscles, do hydrate.

Dave

Comment

Yeah, I'm going to have to do something. The tightness in my arms and legs isn't getting any better and I'm not getting any younger! The muscle soreness though, while still there has gone done as the week progresses. Of course I'm still going to the gym and getting back in to shape. So it seems just the soreness goes away, it all starts up again. Kind of like a vicious never ending circle.

Comment

So some good advise for DOMS. Delayed Onset Muscle Stress but some that won’t cure that problem.

As mentioned this is normal for most and not necessarily from overdoing it. I lift 6-7 days a week plus hockey. If I get out of it even for a week due to a hockey injury then some DOMS will happen.

Hydration, potassium, and Gultamine (supplement most BCAAs have them) will help with soreness.

Creatine, foam rolling and stretching are good and should be done but you cannot stretch out this issue.

Key is consistency. Keep going. Keep working on form as 1 quality rep is better than a lot of poor reps.

Also I saw it mentioned. Squat shoes are great but if you don’t want or cannot afford. You can put 5lb plates on the ground and put your heels on them. It should give approximately the same wedge degree as the shoes.

Comment

Working...
                          X