Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dappered Weight Loss Club Anyone?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dappered Weight Loss Club Anyone?

    So it's been a pretty good summer for me. Lots of beer. Lots of BBQ/hamburgers. And lots more beer.

    Despite being fairly active this summer I would like to drop 10 to 15 pounds. With winter on the way, I know my level of activity will drop as well, so I'm wondering if anyone on the forums here is interested in joining me on a little weight loss. Kind of like the 'year of no spending' on the main forum. We can post weekly weigh in results and generally support each other. Or as the case may be, mock each other when one of us decides to demolish an entire bag of Halloween candy. I do this. No joke.

    Anyone interested? We can start Monday the 22nd, and I only pick that date because that's the first time I'll be home to weigh in on my home scale. Cheers.
    Last edited by DocDave; October 17th, 2018, 11:15 AM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by DocDave View Post
    So it's been a pretty good summer for me. Lots of beer. Lots of BBQ/hamburgers. And lots more beer.

    Despite being fairly active this summer I would like to drop 10 to 15 pounds. With winter on the way, I know my level of activity will drop as well, so I'm wondering if anyone on the forums here is interested in joining me on a little weigh loss. Kind of like the 'year of no spending' on the main forum. We can post weekly weigh in results and generally support each other. Or as the case may be, mock each other when one of us decides to demolish an entire bag of Halloween candy. I do this. No joke.

    Anyone interested? We can start Monday the 22nd, and I only pick that date because that's the first time I'll be home to weigh in on my home scale. Cheers.
    I'm game. Although I've been working out about as much as I usually have been, I really went the opposite direction as far as diet/portion control goes. And though it does help with making my gains faster, my body type/metabolism is such that I can muscle up fairly easily, but my body really hates burning excess fat.

    I'm currently sitting at around 163 lbs at 5'6", I'd love to get back down to below 150... At the same time I'm still trying to reach my goal of getting the 3 big lifts as close to 1000 lbs total as possible (currently 385 deadlift, 265 squat, 235 bench) so I won't be able to cut as quickly as I had last year, but I could definitely start watching what I eat again.

    Comment


    • #3
      I would be game.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm in. I'm 6'2" and vacillate between 220-230, would like to be a decent 210.
        Last edited by Bobbumman; October 17th, 2018, 01:37 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          I am in.
          I recently got engaged and want to get my body in order for the wedding and for myself. This past year has been a weird one for me with exercise and weight. Last October I broke my toe playing soccer and had to have surgery to fix it. While on the mend I ate my feelings. Once I could start running I jumped back into the gym and have been going pretty steady 3-5 times per week and playing soccer once a week. I have put on some muscle, but still have a good amount of fat around my midsection and chest I would like to get off. I know I need to change my eating/drinking but haven't been able to consistently do it.
          I'm 5'10 and 181, would like to get down to 170.

          Comment


          • #6
            If you guys are serious about this I can't recommend crossfit/HIIT classes enough. I went from 220 to 200 and from a size 36 waist to a 34 without changing my eating habits.

            Comment


            • #7
              Over the last few years I've slowly dropped about 20-25 pounds, after having some serious health problems that restricted my activity (heart attack in 2014 and back surgery in early 2016). I'm torn between staying where I am right now and losing another 10, because I've revamped my wardrobe. Jeez, I have eight monogrammed dress shirts that are too big now and are in nearly new condition. I've replaced them all with smaller sizes--plus more shirts--probably around 20 now. I'm concerned that if I lose another ten pounds most of those shirts won't fit. Not to mention the five or six new suits I've picked up in the last ten months.

              So, I'm thinking about it.

              But what I really wanted to share is: I've had to deal with weight issues since I was a borderline morbidly obese kid (e.g., when I was 12, I weighed 20 pounds more than I do now, and I was eight inches shorter).

              I've managed to keep my weight mostly under control since I was in my early 30's and in the last few years the best tool I've found is the Lose It app for my smart phone. Second best has been the Runkeeper app. You can use it for any type of exercise, not just running.

              The reason Lose It has become such a good tool is that as I've aged (59 now), I've found I can't exercise as hard or as much as I could 20 years ago. If I overate back then, I could just run an extra five or ten miles. Not so much anymore. That means diet has become much more important.

              Okay, I think I'm talking myself into this. We are probably going on a trip to New Orleans in a few weeks and last time we were there, I put on seven pounds in four days.

              I'm 195 this morning (a tad over 6'2"). Goal is 185. It's been 10 years since I've been 185. Jeez, there goes another $1,000 on new shirts. At least my year end bonus is coming up.
              WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                Over the last few years I've slowly dropped about 20-25 pounds, after having some serious health problems that restricted my activity (heart attack in 2014 and back surgery in early 2016). I'm torn between staying where I am right now and losing another 10, because I've revamped my wardrobe. Jeez, I have eight monogrammed dress shirts that are too big now and are in nearly new condition. I've replaced them all with smaller sizes--plus more shirts--probably around 20 now. I'm concerned that if I lose another ten pounds most of those shirts won't fit. Not to mention the five or six new suits I've picked up in the last ten months.

                So, I'm thinking about it.

                But what I really wanted to share is: I've had to deal with weight issues since I was a borderline morbidly obese kid (e.g., when I was 12, I weighed 20 pounds more than I do now, and I was eight inches shorter).

                I've managed to keep my weight mostly under control since I was in my early 30's and in the last few years the best tool I've found is the Lose It app for my smart phone. Second best has been the Runkeeper app. You can use it for any type of exercise, not just running.

                The reason Lose It has become such a good tool is that as I've aged (59 now), I've found I can't exercise as hard or as much as I could 20 years ago. If I overate back then, I could just run an extra five or ten miles. Not so much anymore. That means diet has become much more important.

                Okay, I think I'm talking myself into this. We are probably going on a trip to New Orleans in a few weeks and last time we were there, I put on seven pounds in four days.

                I'm 195 this morning (a tad over 6'2"). Goal is 185. It's been 10 years since I've been 185. Jeez, there goes another $1,000 on new shirts. At least my year end bonus is coming up.
                Buy a sewing machine, you can alter them yourself and it's a bit soothing, not that hard at all, might not be the best stitch but hey, it was cheap to do and you can get more practice if the threads undo.

                Also 6'2 195 is very very slim, I'm 6' 195 and feel scrawny, but I was formerly a gym rat so I might be off my rocker, but as my grandma would say...you need to eat!

                I would look at doing a body recomp and also see your Dr about TRT to help achive your goals, maybe stay same weight and just add more muscle and cut out some fat(if you even have any).
                Sure you can't work out as hard but you can eat low carb/fasting training to help get to your goals
                Look at occlusion weight training, many options for you still

                Comment


                • #9
                  I've been more into Health Span > Life Span recently and it makes a lot of sense so I am all for people joining together to lose weight. I am in the maintaining phase as I am happy where I am at. 6'1" and ~185lbs. I have had 4 family members die in the past 24 months and all 4 had heart related problems. I have taken a deep dive into heart health, and other diseases, and the best thing you can do for yourself is to 1. exercise regularly and 2. control your eating. Other than that you can live a pretty healthy life.

                  I'd much rather live healthy to 75 and be hit by a bus than 95 with 30 years of health problems. I want value out of my years, not just time.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Great! Loving to see all the support for this. Looking forward to seeing all the positive results.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by shad0w4life View Post
                      Buy a sewing machine, you can alter them yourself and it's a bit soothing, not that hard at all, might not be the best stitch but hey, it was cheap to do and you can get more practice if the threads undo.

                      Also 6'2 195 is very very slim, I'm 6' 195 and feel scrawny, but I was formerly a gym rat so I might be off my rocker, but as my grandma would say...you need to eat!

                      I would look at doing a body recomp and also see your Dr about TRT to help achive your goals, maybe stay same weight and just add more muscle and cut out some fat(if you even have any).
                      Sure you can't work out as hard but you can eat low carb/fasting training to help get to your goals
                      Look at occlusion weight training, many options for you still
                      When I was a gym rat and lifted a lot, I could be about 205 and was fine. But I can't lift like that anymore after two back surgeries.

                      Even at 195, I carry a lot of weight around my middle. Online BMI calculators suggest a BMI of 25, which is still overweight.

                      I've noticed that other people my height carry weight differently--I don't know--I think it's a result of my childhood obesity and the visceral fat I carry--which is probably why I had a heart attack even though I have been a regular exerciser for over 25 years.


                      Oh--on the sewing machine-- The real problem when I lose weight is the neck--I wear ties almost everyday and the neck gets so loose that I look like a kid wearing his father's shirts. I don't think that can be fixed.
                      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                        I've been more into Health Span > Life Span recently and it makes a lot of sense so I am all for people joining together to lose weight. I am in the maintaining phase as I am happy where I am at. 6'1" and ~185lbs. I have had 4 family members die in the past 24 months and all 4 had heart related problems. I have taken a deep dive into heart health, and other diseases, and the best thing you can do for yourself is to 1. exercise regularly and 2. control your eating. Other than that you can live a pretty healthy life.

                        I'd much rather live healthy to 75 and be hit by a bus than 95 with 30 years of health problems. I want value out of my years, not just time.
                        Amen and aho!

                        I will share that regular cardio exercise saved my life. I had a heart attack when I was 55--I had one artery 100% blocked (still is--they tried to fix it, poked a hole in it, and almost killed me) and another 90% blocked (fixed with stents). What I learned from the doctors (in my layman paraphrase) is that when you do cardio and get your heart rate up, and your arteries are closing slowly over time, your heart forces more blood through your capillaries, and they start to enlarge and form a kind of natural bypass.

                        So, yes--I encourage everyone to exercise. But probably see a doctor first if you've been inactive for years.
                        WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Count me in. Been trying to shed the 20 lbs I put on balancing working full-time and doing evening classes for grad school. The kicker is that I finished 4 years ago. No reason to still be carrying all of that weight around, and shared accountability might force me to follow through.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Good thing we're not starting until Monday, right? Been hitting up the buffets and bars in Vegas. Nothing beats buffet then cocktails all before 1030 am.

                            They say nothing tastes as good as skinny feels, but I doubt they had plates full of bone marrow and Dungeness crab.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I've eaten 2.75 donuts today.

                              So far.

                              [Edit] 3.25.
                              Last edited by LesserBlackDog; October 19th, 2018, 05:56 PM.
                              Ben

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X